Re: National Boards Entry 6

  • Hugh Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
      On the course outline do you provide a place for the parents to write in a
      response. That makes it more interactive than just the statement. I
      include a parent response section on all written communication with the
      parents. If progress reports are required at your school, make them unique
      by putting on comments specific to that child and ask for parental
      response. The efforts do not have to be "warm and fuzzy". They are to keep
      parents aware and informed about students and history.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
        What Hugh wrote is true. Communication must be a two-way street. Always
        provide parents/caregivers a forum for feedback on anything you send home.
        Web pages and e-mail communication is also a good idea! This was one of the
        most rewarding parts of the process when I went through it last year. I
        really hadn't made the effort that I should have in the past concerning
        parental contact. It really does make a remarkable difference in most cases.
        Parents see you as an ali (sp? wish there was a spell check on e-mail) in
        their child's learning. Remember to address impact on student learning on
        entries 5 & 6.
        Leslie Coleman, NBCT
        Director, SW MS World Class Teaching Initiative