Re: National Boards Entry 6

  • Hugh Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
      As I undestand it, the whole class discussion does not have to be
      controversial. It can be an exploration of a topic, a discussion of a
      historical photo (depression era for example), or political cartoon. The
      key seems to be to create an atmosphere where the students interact with you
      and with each other.

      >From: Carolyn Hunter <hunter@...>
      >To: AYA-SSH@onelist.com
      >Subject: Re: [AYA-SSH] National Boards Entry 6
      >Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:35:51 -0500
      >
      >Hello,
      > As I understand the requirements for parent communications, it is
      >asking for "beyond what is expected." If your school does the progress
      >reports regularly,
      >it's not "beyond. . ."
      > My question is entry #3 Whole Class Discussion. My inclusion class is
      >doing well to remember facts and be able to respond from memory what we
      >read about.
      >I'm having a lot of trouble getting them to discuss controversial issues.
      >My video is very dull. When I ask for a discussion on something anymore
      >complicated
      >than that, they sit like stumps and just stare at me. What now?
      >hunter@...
      >
      >TMJMULL@... wrote:
      >
      > > From: TMJMULL@...
      > >
      > > Hello;
      > > I have just finished entry 5 for the National Boards, and have begun
      >work on entry 6 the "Interactive Communication".
      > > I'd like to talk with anyone else about entries 5 or 6, and share
      >insights and developments.
      > > For example: when they ask for teacher/parent communication,would part
      >of your course outline that says you welcome parent participation serve
      >that purpose?
      > > How about progress reports that the parent/teacher and counselor have to
      >fill out- with grades and comments?
      > > Or are they looking for more "warm fuzzy things" such as Parent outreach
      >committees?
      > > Please E-Mail or Post..
      > > Thanks- Tom at TMJM@...

      > > Looking for the lowest refinance rate for your mortgage?
      > > GetSmart.com can help. We'll help you find the loan you
      > > need - quick, easy, and FREE click
      >Here</a>

    • Hugh Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
        On the course outline do you provide a place for the parents to write in a
        response. That makes it more interactive than just the statement. I
        include a parent response section on all written communication with the
        parents. If progress reports are required at your school, make them unique
        by putting on comments specific to that child and ask for parental
        response. The efforts do not have to be "warm and fuzzy". They are to keep
        parents aware and informed about students and history.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
          What Hugh wrote is true. Communication must be a two-way street. Always
          provide parents/caregivers a forum for feedback on anything you send home.
          Web pages and e-mail communication is also a good idea! This was one of the
          most rewarding parts of the process when I went through it last year. I
          really hadn't made the effort that I should have in the past concerning
          parental contact. It really does make a remarkable difference in most cases.
          Parents see you as an ali (sp? wish there was a spell check on e-mail) in
          their child's learning. Remember to address impact on student learning on
          entries 5 & 6.
          Leslie Coleman, NBCT
          Director, SW MS World Class Teaching Initiative