Re: [AYA-SSH] entry 3

  • Lauri Elam
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
      Dear Leigh:
      Great minds think alike. I too am writing up the large group discussion
      that occurred after the presidential election. What worries me about mine
      is that we discuss a number of topics. I'm focusing my write up as a
      discussion of the "democratic process." To answer your question, I think NB
      wants student voices to dominate the lesson. Learning from each other is a
      great way to gain new information. It sounds like that's what happened in
      your class.

      Do you want to get together over the holidays and review each other's
      tapes? One day I feel confident about mine, and the next I feel like I need
      to start over. Have a good weekend. Lauri

    • lupohuvie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
        Leigh-
        I will re-read the requirements for the assignment- remember you have a chance to write about what comes beofre and after the video- how did they make use of the class discussion you had?
        Lorraine
      • Jo Ann Sherbine
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
          Leigh,
          It was good to hear from you ... and your tape idea sounds great! That
          large group one is to demonstrate your abilities as facilitator, or referee,
          whichever the case may be. The fact that you have established an
          environment for free exchange of ideas, and have developed in your students
          the ability to grapple with the issues of the day is exactly the kind of
          activity that qualifies as TEACHING. In your write-up, you focus on the
          pre-tape activities, whatever YOU did to help prepare the students to
          conduct the discussion. Did you follow up with any kind of activity toward
          closure? Even an evaluation by the students of the activity itself, and
          your analysis of their evaluations, will enhance the presentation of your
          tape. Just for my own curiosity ... what kind of class was this? How old
          (grade) are the students? Do you get a lot of "parent parroting" on the
          election issues? In our area, or at least in my 9th grade classes, it has
          been a hot potato that I've touched gingerly a few times but generally left
          alone ... and I personally love political science and all the hoopla
          surrounding this election. Keep me informed, and keep up the good work.
          I'm meeting with two or three of our "newbies" next week, English and math,
          for purposes of encouragement, organization, etc. I am enjoying the process
          ever so much more this year!:)
          Jo Ann

          >From: lmartin@...
          >To: AYA-SSH@egroups.com
          >Subject: [AYA-SSH] entry 3
          >Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:32:19 -0000
          >
          >I am working on my large and small group videos. I have a tape I
          >like for entry3, (large group), but I hardly appear in it! My voice
          >can be heard, but mostly it's the kids you hear. They are discussing
          >the snafu in the 2000 presidential election, and have lots of
          >opinions and ideas. They don't complete an organizer or anything;
          >it's just talk- lots of it, with me refereeing. They really have
          >some good ideas and strong opinions, though. We did a lot of work
          >with this topic before the tape. How does it sound to any of you?
          >
          >Leigh in Alabama

        • Leigh Martin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2000
            Jo Ann _ this is 11th grade AP US history - some confident kids. Not too
            much "parent parroting" - but definitely the influence there. This followed
            an assigned presidential campaign log. Thx for input! Will you read my
            commentary when I finish it? More later ! Leigh
            > It was good to hear from you ... and your tape idea sounds great! That
            > large group one is to demonstrate your abilities as facilitator, or
            referee,
            > whichever the case may be. The fact that you have established an
            > environment for free exchange of ideas, and have developed in your
            students
            > the ability to grapple with the issues of the day is exactly the kind of
            > activity that qualifies as TEACHING. In your write-up, you focus on the
            > pre-tape activities, whatever YOU did to help prepare the students to
            > conduct the discussion. Did you follow up with any kind of activity
            toward
            > closure? Even an evaluation by the students of the activity itself, and
            > your analysis of their evaluations, will enhance the presentation of your
            > tape. Just for my own curiosity ... what kind of class was this? How old
            > (grade) are the students? Do you get a lot of "parent parroting" on the
            > election issues? In our area, or at least in my 9th grade classes, it has
            > been a hot potato that I've touched gingerly a few times but generally
            left
            > alone ... and I personally love political science and all the hoopla
            > surrounding this election. Keep me informed, and keep up the good work.
            > I'm meeting with two or three of our "newbies" next week, English and
            math,
            > for purposes of encouragement, organization, etc. I am enjoying the
            process
            > ever so much more this year!:)
            > Jo Ann
            >

            > >From: lmartin@...
            > >To: AYA-SSH@egroups.com
            > >Subject: [AYA-SSH] entry 3
            > >Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:32:19 -0000
            > >
            > >I am working on my large and small group videos. I have a tape I
            > >like for entry3, (large group), but I hardly appear in it! My voice
            > >can be heard, but mostly it's the kids you hear. They are discussing
            > >the snafu in the 2000 presidential election, and have lots of
            > >opinions and ideas. They don't complete an organizer or anything;
            > >it's just talk- lots of it, with me refereeing. They really have
            > >some good ideas and strong opinions, though. We did a lot of work
            > >with this topic before the tape. How does it sound to any of you?
            > >
            > >Leigh in Alabama

            _________
            http://explorer.msn.com

          • Leigh Martin
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2000
              I feel the same way you do about the tapes! The questions are tough, too,
              but I am trying to follow them precisely. Would love to get together over
              the holdiays - let me know what is convenient for you. Leigh