entry 3

  • lmartin@alex.k12.al.us
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
      I am working on my large and small group videos. I have a tape I
      like for entry3, (large group), but I hardly appear in it! My voice
      can be heard, but mostly it's the kids you hear. They are discussing
      the snafu in the 2000 presidential election, and have lots of
      opinions and ideas. They don't complete an organizer or anything;
      it's just talk- lots of it, with me refereeing. They really have
      some good ideas and strong opinions, though. We did a lot of work
      with this topic before the tape. How does it sound to any of you?

      Leigh in Alabama
    • Lauri Elam
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
        Dear Leigh:
        Great minds think alike. I too am writing up the large group discussion
        that occurred after the presidential election. What worries me about mine
        is that we discuss a number of topics. I'm focusing my write up as a
        discussion of the "democratic process." To answer your question, I think NB
        wants student voices to dominate the lesson. Learning from each other is a
        great way to gain new information. It sounds like that's what happened in
        your class.

        Do you want to get together over the holidays and review each other's
        tapes? One day I feel confident about mine, and the next I feel like I need
        to start over. Have a good weekend. Lauri

      • lupohuvie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
          Leigh-
          I will re-read the requirements for the assignment- remember you have a chance to write about what comes beofre and after the video- how did they make use of the class discussion you had?
          Lorraine
        • Jo Ann Sherbine
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
            Leigh,
            It was good to hear from you ... and your tape idea sounds great! That
            large group one is to demonstrate your abilities as facilitator, or referee,
            whichever the case may be. The fact that you have established an
            environment for free exchange of ideas, and have developed in your students
            the ability to grapple with the issues of the day is exactly the kind of
            activity that qualifies as TEACHING. In your write-up, you focus on the
            pre-tape activities, whatever YOU did to help prepare the students to
            conduct the discussion. Did you follow up with any kind of activity toward
            closure? Even an evaluation by the students of the activity itself, and
            your analysis of their evaluations, will enhance the presentation of your
            tape. Just for my own curiosity ... what kind of class was this? How old
            (grade) are the students? Do you get a lot of "parent parroting" on the
            election issues? In our area, or at least in my 9th grade classes, it has
            been a hot potato that I've touched gingerly a few times but generally left
            alone ... and I personally love political science and all the hoopla
            surrounding this election. Keep me informed, and keep up the good work.
            I'm meeting with two or three of our "newbies" next week, English and math,
            for purposes of encouragement, organization, etc. I am enjoying the process
            ever so much more this year!:)
            Jo Ann

            >From: lmartin@...
            >To: AYA-SSH@egroups.com
            >Subject: [AYA-SSH] entry 3
            >Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:32:19 -0000
            >
            >I am working on my large and small group videos. I have a tape I
            >like for entry3, (large group), but I hardly appear in it! My voice
            >can be heard, but mostly it's the kids you hear. They are discussing
            >the snafu in the 2000 presidential election, and have lots of
            >opinions and ideas. They don't complete an organizer or anything;
            >it's just talk- lots of it, with me refereeing. They really have
            >some good ideas and strong opinions, though. We did a lot of work
            >with this topic before the tape. How does it sound to any of you?
            >
            >Leigh in Alabama

          • Leigh Martin
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2000
              Jo Ann _ this is 11th grade AP US history - some confident kids. Not too
              much "parent parroting" - but definitely the influence there. This followed
              an assigned presidential campaign log. Thx for input! Will you read my
              commentary when I finish it? More later ! Leigh
              > It was good to hear from you ... and your tape idea sounds great! That
              > large group one is to demonstrate your abilities as facilitator, or
              referee,
              > whichever the case may be. The fact that you have established an
              > environment for free exchange of ideas, and have developed in your
              students
              > the ability to grapple with the issues of the day is exactly the kind of
              > activity that qualifies as TEACHING. In your write-up, you focus on the
              > pre-tape activities, whatever YOU did to help prepare the students to
              > conduct the discussion. Did you follow up with any kind of activity
              toward
              > closure? Even an evaluation by the students of the activity itself, and
              > your analysis of their evaluations, will enhance the presentation of your
              > tape. Just for my own curiosity ... what kind of class was this? How old
              > (grade) are the students? Do you get a lot of "parent parroting" on the
              > election issues? In our area, or at least in my 9th grade classes, it has
              > been a hot potato that I've touched gingerly a few times but generally
              left
              > alone ... and I personally love political science and all the hoopla
              > surrounding this election. Keep me informed, and keep up the good work.
              > I'm meeting with two or three of our "newbies" next week, English and
              math,
              > for purposes of encouragement, organization, etc. I am enjoying the
              process
              > ever so much more this year!:)
              > Jo Ann
              >

              > >From: lmartin@...
              > >To: AYA-SSH@egroups.com
              > >Subject: [AYA-SSH] entry 3
              > >Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:32:19 -0000
              > >
              > >I am working on my large and small group videos. I have a tape I
              > >like for entry3, (large group), but I hardly appear in it! My voice
              > >can be heard, but mostly it's the kids you hear. They are discussing
              > >the snafu in the 2000 presidential election, and have lots of
              > >opinions and ideas. They don't complete an organizer or anything;
              > >it's just talk- lots of it, with me refereeing. They really have
              > >some good ideas and strong opinions, though. We did a lot of work
              > >with this topic before the tape. How does it sound to any of you?
              > >
              > >Leigh in Alabama

              _________
              http://explorer.msn.com

            • Leigh Martin
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2000
                I feel the same way you do about the tapes! The questions are tough, too,
                but I am trying to follow them precisely. Would love to get together over
                the holdiays - let me know what is convenient for you. Leigh