Finished my MTR but no 40m???

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
      So as you may have saw, I got an MTR kit the other day and I finished it (2 qsos down on 20m!!!) Very cool radio. It has the updated chip with the yellow dots. I built it for 40 and 20 but for some reason it defaulted to 80 and 20 so my switches only go between 80 and 20. How do I get it on 40? Did I miss something in the instructions?
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
        that is determined by the band resistors, R3 and R4, from your description, look real close at the soldering and values of R4.
        Good Luck,

        --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

        To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
        From: tom.campie@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:48:38 +0000
        Subject: [AT_Sprint] Finished my MTR but no 40m???

        So as you may have saw, I got an MTR kit the other day and I finished it (2 qsos down on 20m!!!) Very cool radio. It has the updated chip with the yellow dots. I built it for 40 and 20 but for some reason it defaulted to 80 and 20 so my switches only go between 80 and 20. How do I get it on 40? Did I miss something in the instructions?

      • Thomas Campie
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
          Well I checked R4 and it is definitely 47K as prescribed. Any other ideas?

          73, W0EA
          TJ
          ----
          QRP ARCI #14612 | CW Ops #953 | SKCC #4593T
          NAQCC #3768 | Flying Pigs QRP #2254
          Elecraft KX3 SN 288
          Because QRO is too easy

          To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
          From: tom.campie@...
          Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:48:38 +0000

          So as you may have saw, I got an MTR kit the other day and I finished it (2 qsos down on 20m!!!) Very cool radio. It has the updated chip with the yellow dots. I built it for 40 and 20 but for some reason it defaulted to 80 and 20 so my switches only go between 80 and 20. How do I get it on 40? Did I miss something in the instructions?

        • Milton A Riutort
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
            Hi Tom

            By some reason, the last firmware published or loaded from Steve, has a band selecting code error and this cause this kind of problem. My MTR, was assembled for 30m / 20m band and after installing the new chip it start telling me that the bands are 40m and 20m.

            Easy fix, you need to flash it with a firmware re-coded by Australian ham radio. Can't remember his name and I have the firmware on my laptop not here with this tablet. The bad new is that you need do few things and probably buy the board needed to connect the MTR to the computer for this task.

            You can find more info on the the file folders on the Yahoo groups site. Please double check that your resistors on band select position, R3 and R4 are correct. R4 equal 47k (473)for 40m band. I guess your problem is the firmware, but check.

            Good luck,

            Milton A Riutort
          • Thomas Campie

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
                Check R3 and insure they are both soldered well...

                --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

                To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                From: tom.campie@...
                Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:48:38 +0000

                So as you may have saw, I got an MTR kit the other day and I finished it (2 qsos down on 20m!!!) Very cool radio. It has the updated chip with the yellow dots. I built it for 40 and 20 but for some reason it defaulted to 80 and 20 so my switches only go between 80 and 20. How do I get it on 40? Did I miss something in the instructions?

              • TJ Campie

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2012
                    Update: got the MTR on 40m last night, took a bit longer than I had planned since I live in a no PC house!  Did manage to get VMware to recognize the TI board and flashing the new firmware was easy enough after that.  First QSO on 40 was with a station /P in MI state park somewhere.  I am really smitten with this radio.  I think everybody should have one!

                    I'll be in the NAQP CW contest this weekend with my MTR on the AT_Sprint team so keep your ears open for me.

                    73, W0EA
                    TJ
                    ----

                    On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM, TJ Campie <tom.campie@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • Johnny Matlock
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2012
                      Gm TJ
                      Glad she is working for you.
                      Which file did you use to flash with?
                      Is the one in the MTR folder the good one ?
                      Tnx 72
                      Johnny AC0BQ