Re: ATS-3a Build Post Mortem

  • duolian99
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
      OOOoopps so that's where the "73" went! No it wasn't 732
      minutes but 2 minutes to tune from 14060 down to 14000 (like
      yours. but seems long to me)(I get 'bored' waiting thru a 3 minute
      beacon cycle too - especially since I'm not hearing any lately!?)
      the "73" was the missing part of my ending byline (ie "73, charlie
      ke2sp etc") I started typing and it didn't show up so I just
      repositioned the cursor and didn't think to look for where it had
      been. Anyway, yes you are right - patience and tenacity .
      hopefully I will get to build another. Neat little gadget. however,
      I did run into another 'challenge' that still outwits me - how do
      you get the drill drawing to print out at correct size? everytime I
      tried it came out 8" x 10" . Another problem was the drilling of
      the altoids box. Since I'm in a 'portable' situation I only have
      limited tools and my moto-tool max drill size is 1/8" but my rat-
      tail file is bigger so I'm forced to enlarge the hole by pushing
      the drill sideways until the rat-tail file will fit in. so the hole
      moves from where marked/started. not good. Does anybody know where
      one can buy a 1/4" drill bit with a 1/8" shaft. that would work
      nicely.
      thanks. charlie ke2sp

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Beford" <bruce.beford@...>
      wrote:

      > Well charlie. Quite a story.
      >
      > Too bad you sold the rig. Most (all) of your troubles seemed to
      come
      > down to soldering issues. This has been true with other reports of
      > trouble. Good that you had the patience to work through the
      problems
      > though. Shows tenacity. The built time you reported is about
      right.
      > Something this small and delicate takes time and patience.
      >
      > The tuning speed you reported- "over 732 minutes"- or over 12
      HOURS
      > to go 60 KHz. is NOT normal. When I power my '3a up, it starts at
      > 7.030. If I hold the down button in, I am at the bottom of the
      band
      > in exactly one minute. Thats 30 KHz/minute. This is a good tuning
      > speed for a radio with the narrow filter this one has.
      >
      > Sorry you had so much trouble. But your experience is not typical.
      > Most of the several hundred sold have gone together fine. Some
      have
      > had construction problems along the way, but I think all have
      worked
      > well in the end. Hopefully, you will eventually get to try
      another,
      > and have a better experience.
      > 73,
      > Bruce N1RX

    • Terry WAØITP
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
        Hi Charlie, KE2SP

        Perhaps a trip to Harbor Freight for one of their punch sets is possible, if there's a store near you.  Otherwise most hardware stores have small round files for re-sizing those 1/8" holes.  It may also have a tapered reamer that will fit.  I use one often for enlarging holes in Altoids or Whitmans. I dont try to power it, just twist it by hand. Another option is to buy a tapered grinding stone if your moto tool is a Dremel type with a collet.

        Here's my ATS3 page. http://www.wa0dx.org/wa0itp/ats3.html  It has some hints, hope you find them helpful.   If you'd label, pse let me know.

        Good luck.

        wrote:

        > Well charlie. Quite a story.
        >
        > Too bad you sold the rig. Most (all) of your troubles seemed to
        come
        > down to soldering issues. This has been true with other reports of
        > trouble. Good that you had the patience to work through the
        problems
        > though. Shows tenacity. The built time you reported is about
        right.
        > Something this small and delicate takes time and patience.
        >
        > The tuning speed you reported- "over 732 minutes"- or over 12
        HOURS
        > to go 60 KHz. is NOT normal. When I power my '3a up, it starts at
        > 7.030. If I hold the down button in, I am at the bottom of the
        band
        > in exactly one minute. Thats 30 KHz/minute. This is a good tuning
        > speed for a radio with the narrow filter this one has.
        >
        > Sorry you had so much trouble. But your experience is not typical.
        > Most of the several hundred sold have gone together fine. Some
        have
        > had construction problems along the way, but I think all have
        worked
        > well in the end. Hopefully, you will eventually get to try
        another,
        > and have a better experience.
        > 73,
        > Bruce N1RX

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
          >I did run into another 'challenge' that still outwits me - how do
          >you get the drill drawing to print out at correct size? everytime I
          >tried it came out 8" x 10" . Another problem was the drilling of

          You have to open and print the file with MS Paint. Paint will print to
          scale. Most graphic viewers scale to fit page. There maybe other graphic
          programs which will print to scale, like photo editing programs, but nearly
          everyone has Paint as part of the windows operating system.
          72,
          Steve, KD1JV
          "Melt Solder"
          White Mountains of New Hampshire
          http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
          http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
        • Dominic Baines
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
            Charlie hopefully I can be of some help. I cannot help with the drill bit. Take the altoid tin and mark up where you want the holes first. Then take a small nail and a piece of wood and hold the tin in a vice or similar and make a mark for the drill bit. You do not have to put the nail right through justenough for the drill bit to stay put. If you have a punch or similar even better. If you need a larger hole then mark the edges and file a larger hole using the two holes as the outer edges.

            I do this and every time I get perfectly placed holes for my altoid projects using a set of needle files and a 3mm drill bit. To fit a BNC I make 4 evenly spaced hole and file between them. Patience is important if you want an acurate hole.

            Another option I have used is to fill the tin with water (yes water!) and freeze it. The tin when frozen it is easy to drill the sides.

            I mark the hole locations on the tin using a CD writing pen.

            I have probably 15 or more altoids tin projects.

            73

            Dom
            M1KTA
            duolian99 <ke2sp@...> wrote:
            ...... Another problem was the drilling of
            the altoids box. Since I'm in a 'portable' situation I only have
            limited tools and my moto-tool max drill size is 1/8" but my rat-
            tail file is bigger so I'm forced to enlarge the hole by pushing
            the drill sideways until the rat-tail file will fit in. so the hole
            moves from where marked/started. not good. Does anybody know where
            one can buy a 1/4" drill bit with a 1/8" shaft. that would work
            nicely.
            thanks. charlie ke2sp

            ---
            .

            All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.