Fwd: Panel Mount BNC Jack for ATS-4b

  • Rob Steenburgh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 7:20 PM
    I was having trouble with an intermittent antenna connection at the RCA jack.   I tried three different adapters (2 commercial and one home brew) and re-checked the jack itselft.  Still no luck.

    Since most of my QRP interconnects use BNC connectors, I decided to add one to the ATS-4b.  Steve notes in the manual "It might be possible to replace the supplied RCA antenna jack with a BNC type by enlarging the hole, provided the new BNC jack has a short threaded section."

    I couldn't find any BNC jacks with a short enough threaded section until I stumbled across the Amphenol 31-4237 at Newark.  It's pricey at $10, but I was willing to sacrifice a few other luxeries to give it a try.  Turns out it worked great and provided just enough board clearance.  No more intermittent connections.

    During assembly, I also partially melted the power connector rendering it useless.  I had been running the rig with a pigtail out the hole with a 2.1x 5.5 mm in-line jack.  I ordered a replacement panel mount jack from Digikey (part no CP-011A-ND) made by CU Inc.  I had to do a bit of work with the Dremel to get it to fit, but not too much.

    The nice thing about both these connectors is I can remove the entire board from the case without having to pull out the soldering iron.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    KA8JBY