Re: [AT_Sprint] MTR production problems

  • Justin Pinnix
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
      You guys did see Steve's post from 4 days ago that this was a false alarm and he has found ample parts, right?

      On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Cy Currier <k1tes@...> wrote:

      Hi Steve'
      i got some fm "future electronics" and i believe "Futurlec"(a different co) has them as well.
      Uncle Cy

      PS i expect to go to Dayton. on the way back i could drop u at Hazelton, or Willks-Barre so u would only be on
      a bus fr a short time. lay ur phone # on me and we can discuss it Uncle cy

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2012
        Someone, not so long ago, had a rig (or several rigs of the same kind),
        and instead of selling to the very first person(s) who sent in for it,
        the seller held the "sale" open for a day or two (or more - I didn't
        keep track).

        When the "sale" was closed, this person selected the winner(s) at
        random. That way the "first person" reading the "sale" message had a
        equal chance of "winning" the sale as a person who might be working for
        a living at the time and didn't read the "for sale" message until
        arriving home several hours later.

        I don't know how this would work in practice, or if KD1JV would even
        entertain such a "raffle" but if the demand is what it appears to be for
        the Mountain Top Radio, the number of people wanting the kit might be
        considerably higher than the number of kits made for the initial run.
        Note, generating a series of random numbers is quite easy using
        Microsoft Excel, Open Office, etc.

        Just a SWAT (S)tupid W)ild A)...d T)hought) on a possible method of sale.

        BTW - we should all applaud KD1JV often and loudly for his efforts at
        promoting QRP and field operating.

        72/73 de n8xx Hg
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2012
          > When the "sale" was closed, this person selected the winner(s) at
          > random.

          Well, the thought of a raffle did cross my mind. Hard to say if we'll really
          need it or not. So far, only members of this group know about the rig,
          though there are over a 1000 members. Of course, no way of knowing how many
          keep up with the group on a frequent basies.

          I was going to wait a bit, but this is what I've been thinking. Break it
          down into groups.

          I'll put aside a few to take to Dayton for those who want to wait until
          then. That might be a dozen or so at the most.

          The second group will be those who intend to use the rig for what it was
          designed for - SOTA or backpacking trips. This of course will have to be on
          the honor system and no telling how big a group this is.

          The third group will be every one else, limit one per person. If there are
          any left over after that, a second one can be ordered.

          Sound fair enough?

          Steve KD1JV
        • Gary
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 4, 2012
            Sound fair enough?

            Steve KD1JV

            Yes, It sounds very fair, and the 1(one) per person is a great idea.
            Thanks Steve

            Gary- W4GNS

            ------------------------------------
          • cloud runner
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 4, 2012
              Whatever you want is fair, Steve, since you are kitting them.

              An additional thought (since you asked): one per customer at the initial
              offering, requests for additional kits wait listed for a first few days,
              then filled as available.

              72, Fred - kt5x

              >> When the "sale" was closed, this person selected the winner(s) at
              >> random.
              >
              > Well, the thought of a raffle did cross my mind. Hard to say if we'll
              > really
              > need it or not. So far, only members of this group know about the rig,
              > though there are over a 1000 members. Of course, no way of knowing how
              > many
              > keep up with the group on a frequent basies.
              >
              > I was going to wait a bit, but this is what I've been thinking. Break it
              > down into groups.
              >
              > I'll put aside a few to take to Dayton for those who want to wait until
              > then. That might be a dozen or so at the most.
              >
              > The second group will be those who intend to use the rig for what it was
              > designed for - SOTA or backpacking trips. This of course will have to be
              > on
              > the honor system and no telling how big a group this is.
              >
              > The third group will be every one else, limit one per person. If there are
              > any left over after that, a second one can be ordered.
              >
              > Sound fair enough?
              >
              > Steve KD1JV

            • Michael Harnage
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 4, 2012
                So how does one decide how big the groups are to be? What will make it fair? We're starting to sound like politicians. The truth is, there will be more demand than supply and the classic answer is to raise prices. Wait did I just say that? Ha ha. Glad it's Steve's decision and not mine.

                -mike/w1mt

                I was going to wait a bit, but this is what I've been thinking. Break it
                down into groups.

              • William
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2012
                  I think a more fair approach would be to have two groups, those who already have an ATS and those that don't. There always seems to be a few guys who just missed the boat getting one. So maybe 3-5 days for the ATS virgins then open it up to the rest of us. It would be on the honor system. Those who try to scam the system by getting their buddy to buy for they will suffer eternal pangs of guilt with every QSO.

                  Bill/wv1n

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

                  > > When the "sale" was closed, this person selected the winner(s) at
                  > > random.
                  >
                  > Well, the thought of a raffle did cross my mind. Hard to say if we'll really
                  > need it or not. So far, only members of this group know about the rig,
                  > though there are over a 1000 members. Of course, no way of knowing how many
                  > keep up with the group on a frequent basies.
                  >
                  > I was going to wait a bit, but this is what I've been thinking. Break it
                  > down into groups.
                  >
                  > I'll put aside a few to take to Dayton for those who want to wait until
                  > then. That might be a dozen or so at the most.
                  >
                  > The second group will be those who intend to use the rig for what it was
                  > designed for - SOTA or backpacking trips. This of course will have to be on
                  > the honor system and no telling how big a group this is.
                  >
                  > The third group will be every one else, limit one per person. If there are
                  > any left over after that, a second one can be ordered.
                  >
                  > Sound fair enough?
                  >
                  > Steve KD1JV

                • Ron Eike
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2012
                    By Dayton I hope you mean FDIM! Would you lump IOTA with SOTA and
                    backpacking?

                    Ron - KA3PSO

                    On 03/04/2012 05:48 PM, Steven Weber wrote:
                    >> When the "sale" was closed, this person selected the winner(s) at
                    >> random.
                    > Well, the thought of a raffle did cross my mind. Hard to say if we'll really
                    > need it or not. So far, only members of this group know about the rig,
                    > though there are over a 1000 members. Of course, no way of knowing how many
                    > keep up with the group on a frequent basies.
                    >
                    > I was going to wait a bit, but this is what I've been thinking. Break it
                    > down into groups.
                    >
                    > I'll put aside a few to take to Dayton for those who want to wait until
                    > then. That might be a dozen or so at the most.
                    >
                    > The second group will be those who intend to use the rig for what it was
                    > designed for - SOTA or backpacking trips. This of course will have to be on
                    > the honor system and no telling how big a group this is.
                    >
                    > The third group will be every one else, limit one per person. If there are
                    > any left over after that, a second one can be ordered.
                    >
                    > Sound fair enough?
                    >
                    > Steve KD1JV

                    > .

                  • Tim Goodrich
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2012

                      One way to verify people who fit within the SOTA group (group #2) would be to just check the SOTA website and see if they’ve activated any peaks before. It would be harder to verify those who backpack but don’t do SOTA.

                      Tim

                      K6TW

                    • Paul Mateer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                        what if one doesn't do SOTA (like us flatlanders here in IL) That's discrimination ;o)  I like the "James Bond" factor of small radios... HI HI

                        --
                        Paul Mateer, AA9GG
                        Elan Engineering Corp.