Re: power output ... ATS-4B

  • Scott Cowling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2012
      Just got done with the ATS-4B on the 29th, and had a great SKN QSO
      for 30 minutes on a 9V battery!!! Try that with any other QRP rig
      and see how long it goes... Thanks, Steve, for a great rig!

      At Fred's encouragement, I measured my power output and current draw
      on each band. This is straight off the bench, with the coils wound as
      close to evenly spaced as I could get them. No tuning yet!

      (I had to build my NorCal QRP wattmeter so I could get these "highly
      accurate" readings. :-) This was a fun weekend!)

      ATS-4B power out and current in @12VDC input voltage:
      80M - 5.7W @ 600mA
      40M - 5.7W @ 700mA
      30M - 5.1W @ 580mA
      20M - 4.8W @ 800mA
      17M - 4.3W @ 500mA

      ATS-4B power out and input voltage on 9V battery (no current measurements)
      80M - 1.8W @ 8.3V
      40M - 1.8W @ 8.3V
      30M - 1.7W @ 8.2V
      20M - 1.7W @ 8.5V
      17M - 1.6W @ 8.5V

      Looks like I might get some benefit on 40M and 20M by tweaking the
      coils, since the current seems a bit high for the power output.

      73 es HNY,
      Scotty WA2DFI