Re: [AT_Sprint] 160 M rig

  • w9ya
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2011
      And please count me in for the fourth one !!

      - Bob
      w9ya

      On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

      Gang,

      I have 4 boards for the single band DDS rig prototype I used for 160. This
      is a through hole board, except for the DDS parts. It consists of two
      boards, the main board is 4.2" x 3.1" and a display board which mounts at
      right angles to the main board. The display is a 4 digit, 7 segement LED.
      Oh, it's even knob tuned :-0

      I belive I have most of the parts to cobble together a kit for these 4
      boards. What I don't have will be easy enough to get.

      So here's the deal. I know Dale desperately wants one of them. Any takers
      for the other 3? Lets say $100 even. (BTW, as protoboards, these cost me $33
      each) You supply (make) a box. Very little documentation. Pretty much all
      you'll get is the parts placement diagram. I'm not sure that I even drew out
      a schematic for this board. But no big deal, it's pretty much identical to
      the PFR-3A and Weber dual bander, but just single band. Of course, the part
      lables will all be different, but the circuit is the same.

      Now, if 100 guys want the 3 boards, I just might have to think about making
      this a real kit and having a box made for it. In which case, the price would
      creep up some, maybe $150.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
        OH Thank you Steve! Thank you, very much.
        I'll fix paypal up right quick too.
        And if you want to, I'll spread a bit of a note about.. let's see what happens...k?

        --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

        To: at_sprint@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
          Steve: have those four 160 meter rigs been asked for OR is there one left for me?  72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

          To: at_sprint@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
            Can you re-program a Dual Bander uC to include 160m, and/or provide a firmware update? How sharply did you have to tune the BPF?

            Stu KI6J
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
              Dale,

              No rush, it is unlikely I can get to these before Christmas. Looks like all 4 are spoken for.

              This is the first time I really put the rig through it's paces. It's using an early version of the firmware and needs a little updating. But all in all, I was impressed with how it worked with all those 40 over KW stations spaced every 500 Hz. I was using my resonate CW speaker as shown in the ATS-4 manuals and that really helped keep the stations seperate and readable. Worked better then the Argo V with the BW set to 300 Hz.

              Who says a SA612 front end can't handle contest conditons? I think the 612 got a bad rap when the QSK circuit used to be a series tune L/C with diode clamping. The diodes made the IMD. The mosfet switch I use doesn't have that problem.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
                > Count me in, I know that Dale will be jumping for this deal!

                FB Gil, send me a private message so I have your email. It is unlikely I'll
                get to these before Christmas. BTW, all 4 of the boards I have are now
                spoken for...

                Steve KD1JV
              • Michael St. Angelo
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2011
                  Steve,

                  I'd be interested in a kit.

                  Mike N2MS

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
                    > Can you re-program a Dual Bander uC to include 160m, and/or provide a
                    > firmware update? How sharply did you have to tune the BPF?

                    Yes, it wouldn't be too hard to add the data for 160 to the dual bander mix.
                    Looks like you could just squeeze in the T50 cores needed for the LPF if
                    they go in at an angle. Single tuned on the Rx input seems to work fine, so
                    the BW is reasonable. All the activity is near the low end of the band
                    anyway. Thankfully, you don't have to wind a transformer for the Rx input -
                    a 47 uHy RFC placed between the L and S holes works just fine. (along with
                    adding a 100 pfd cap across the trimmer cap).

                    Steve KD1JV
                  • stu_ki6j
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
                      Thank you for the consideration, Steve.

                      Adding 160 to the dual bander would be quite welcome, and well worth the price of the firmware update. I look forward to its availability.

                      An 80 and 160 dual bander could keep one busy during long winter nights.

                      Stu
                    • Jack K5FSE
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2011
                        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

                        > Gang,
                        >
                        > I have 4 boards for the single band DDS rig prototype I used for 160. This

                        Steve, I'd be interested in one of the complete kits if you go in that direction.

                        thanks

                        Jack K5FSE
                        QRP ARCI Treasurer