yipee...gud DX out of the gate...HL9EO works N6RO on 40 in first QSO

  • n4eo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 8:16 AM
      Happy Sat nite for me.
      ATS-3 thru ALT to 51 foot hanging wire 3 feet off bricks at 9th story,
      with 11 foot counterpoise dangling against the bricks............. and
      very sharp tuning for great match.
      Using bamboo yard lantern pole for my offset of 3 feet (bamboo in S.E.
      Asia, yesiree!)
      TALLY- N6RO, 4 JA's, one Korean station- HL1/N8HI (Frank) all on 40
      meters.
      Broadcast QRM stiff to say the least, and found copy was better with
      ALT in tune mode for receiving (seems to be about 20 db attenuation,
      more or less). Great little boxes containing no RICE!
      ATS-3A supposed to help the blasting my ears got from SWBC tonite.
      Can't wait to hear how it's working thru the SWBC crud for the
      Europeans.

      72 all,
      Jerry N4EO/HL9EO
      TDY 121 General Hospital until 8 Aug
      Home of 8th US Army Yongsan Barracks, Seoul, Korea
    • Gil Stacy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 4:20 PM
        Ken N6RO is a regular on the ARS Spartan Sprint month on the first Monday nite.  You could give him some super dx this Monday nite and maybe the rest of the crew. ;)
        Another regular, Dean KH6B, is also a strong possiblity.
        72, Gil NN4CW

      • n4eo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 9:07 PM
          Small problem....it will be morning Tuesday here, so 20 is my only
          option for propagation...and it's 11 hours on the clock behind East
          Coast time....BUT THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION.and I WILL BE LISTENING!
          Looking for more stealth...my bamboo might be confused with a gun
          barrel sticking out the window (bad idea for daytime on Army post).
          The 22 ga wire is fine. May have a crack at Dean. Have worked him with
          1/2 watt from Tennessee with Rock-Mite, but with YAGI at 110 feet.

          73,
          Jerry
        • bill_w4zv
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2 4:12 AM
            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "n4eo" <brownj106@...> wrote:

            > Broadcast QRM stiff to say the least, and found copy was better with
            > ALT in tune mode for receiving (seems to be about 20 db attenuation,
            > more or less).

            I found the same using the Emtech ZM-2. I later added a 2700 ohm SMD
            on the back side of the 40m module to always add attenuation on 40m.
            I was using a 180' doublet up 80' and the BCI RF was just too much for
            the stock ATS-3.

            > ATS-3A supposed to help the blasting my ears got from SWBC tonite.
            > Can't wait to hear how it's working thru the SWBC crud for the
            > Europeans.

            I would also be interested or East Coasters' experience with the
            ATS-3A and 40m BCI.

            73, Bill