Tuner in a Altoids Tin??

  • Johnny Matlock
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
      Has anyone found a wire or z-match tuner that will fit in a Altoids Tin??
      Would be a nice match for the litttle rigs!

      Thanks 72 73
      Johnny AC0BQ
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
        Stu has one that works great, for EFHW wire. Stu(ki6mwn@...
         would be happy to fill an order for you.. and they are not expensive at all.

        Have a great day,

        --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

        To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
          I have built a slightly modified version of the BLT+ into an Altoids tin.  I did not build it from a kit, but from scratch.  I used a slightly smaller core.  Photo attached.

          73,  Fred - KT5X

          aka WS0TA

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
            And yes, Stu's is excellent, fits in an Altoids tin, I built mine into a Radioshack box, though understand it is specifically for end-fed  halfwave antennas.  I use this tuner all the time on SOTA, and contributed an upgrade to it from experiences with it.

            73  Fred - kt5x

            To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
              > Has anyone found a wire or z-match tuner that will fit in a Altoids Tin??
              > Would be a nice match for the litttle rigs!

              Then there's Steve's own design, the ALT - Altoids L Tuner:
              http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/alt/ALT.HTM

              I haven't tried one yet personally, but it's on the to-do list.

              73,
              - Rob W7GH
            • Johnny Matlock
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
                Thanks for all the help guys!!
                Lots of little great choices.
                72 73
                Johnny AC0BQ

                On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Rob Locher W7GH <rob@...> wrote:

                >> Has anyone found a wire or z-match tuner that will fit in a Altoids Tin??
                >> Would be a nice match for the litttle rigs!
                >

                > Then there's Steve's own design, the ALT - Altoids L Tuner:
                > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/alt/ALT.HTM
                >
                > I haven't tried one yet personally, but it's on the to-do list.
                >
                > 73,
                > - Rob W7GH

              • ve3wmb
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
                  I have one of the Original ALT tuner kits from Hendricks QRP and it works pretty well.
                  It is the commercial version of Steve's ALT referenced below, that fits into an altoids
                  tin. It makes a great companion to the AT Sprint. I use mine with the recommended 51ft
                  wire length.

                  Hendricks QRP has replaced it with the somewhat larger SLT that uses switches instead
                  of two pin headers to add inductors inline. It is a very simple circuit and it should be
                  possible to homebrew the ALT.

                  Michael VE3WMB

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Locher W7GH" <rob@...> wrote:

                  > > Has anyone found a wire or z-match tuner that will fit in a Altoids Tin??
                  > > Would be a nice match for the litttle rigs!
                  >

                  > Then there's Steve's own design, the ALT - Altoids L Tuner:
                  > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/alt/ALT.HTM
                  >
                  > I haven't tried one yet personally, but it's on the to-do list.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > - Rob W7GH

                • Jake, ON4YZ
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012

                    Hello Fred,

                    I like your modified BLT in mint tin. As I don’t want to re-invent the wheel, might I ask you to publish the schematic of the Z-match section with the components values you have experimented.

                    Thanks in advance.

                    73 de Jake – ON4YZ

                    I have built a slightly modified version of the BLT+ into an Altoids tin.  I did not build it from a kit, but from scratch.  I used a slightly smaller core.  Photo attached.

                    73,  Fred - KT5X

                    aka WS0TA

                    Has anyone found a wire or z-match tuner that will fit in a Altoids Tin??
                    Would be a nice match for the litttle rigs!

                    Thanks 72 73
                    Johnny AC0BQ

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • cloud runner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
                      Hi Jake!

                      Well, I used the Tayloe SWR indicator kit from Hendricks, just as Hendricks used in the BLT+ kit.  The skematic for the tuner is essentially similar to the BLT+ kit, but I used a smaller toroid, a T68-6, or it wouldn't fit in the tin.  This seems adequate down through 40 meters.  You can view those skematics by downloading the Hendricks manuals.

                      You can see the layout from the photo, and it is the layout that is key to building the tuner into an Altoids tin.  Building into an Altoids tin is the key to making the tuner much lighter than the kit version offered by Hendricks.  Potentially, you could buy the Hendricks kit, then build it into a different box.  Most of the weight and size of his tuner is a result of the over-sized case.

                      Another hint.  I wired up the toroid taps and the switch outside the box, then mounted it with leads going to other components.

                      73,  Fred - kt5x