New ATS-3B on the air

  • k6jf_radio
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
      Yesterday I put my second ATS-3B on the air for the first time.

      This unit includes the following modules:

      * ATS-3B transceiver
      * Rotary Encoder Tuning Module
      * N3ZI Digital Dial w/smaller display from eBay
      * LM386 based audio amplifier

      Check the photos section under K6JF.

      Power output was around 4w on 15m/17m/20m and 3.5w on 30m/40m/80m with 12v DC power.
      Antenna was an Ultimax100 End Fed with a 33ft wire element and an Emtech ZM-2 tuner.

      I was able to make a contact on each of the six bands:

      15m: N5XE OK, RST 559 <1412 mi>
      17m: KL7J AK, RST 559 <2040 mi>
      20m: W0IMD CO, CO QSO Party <954 mi>
      30m: KK7QW WA, RST 579 <677 mi>
      40m: WY6DX CA, RST 579 <310 mi>
      80M: WB6UBK CA, RST 549 <98 mi>

      Now to decide on a power source and take this rig out portable!

      Jim K6JF
    • James Rodenkirch
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
        Well done, Jim!!!  Snazzy lookin' and very professional appearance!

        Look here for the way Dale, WC7S, put mine together (different approach and weather proofed):

        https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos&cid=cda74515702b545d#cid=CDA74515702B545D&id=CDA74515702B545D!155&sc=photos

         Will look for you on the air - I use my 3B or 4 most of the time.

        72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

        To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
          I just uploaded pics of my 3B, an integration effort from Dale, WC7S, and a job well done I must say.

          Like Jim, K6JF, we have a Rotary Encoder Tuning Module, a Digital Display and an LM-386 based audio amplifier; the main difference is we integrated it all into one box that fits inside a Plano watertight enclosure that I picked up at a local sporting goods store.  You can stand on that box, when closed, and not affect the radio one bit.

          I've deployed this rig on many a hiking effort as I activated some summits for SOTA.  I'm no longer associated with SOTA but will be getting into Parks On The Air, POTA, and looking forward to hiking and operating from the many and beautiful State and National Parks here in s/w Utah.

          Regards, Jim R.

          To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
            Jim R.

            Nice setup you have as well. I was looking for a plastic case like yours but the ones I found were either too small or too large. The 4"x6"x2" enclosure I used was the minimum size to hold everything.

            Jim F.
            K6JF
          • Johnny Matlock
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
              Nice Job guys!!!
              Wow the little rigs look good in the yellow boxes.
              Does that look familiar or what (PFR3)?
              Anyway again very nicely done on both enclosures.
              72
              Johnny AC0BQ
            • James Rodenkirch
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
                Well, we (Dale, WC7S and I) named mine the "Yeller Feller," John....but I didn't choose that yellow rubber insert to be competitive with OR resemble, remotely, anything associated with qrpkits.com, TRUST ME!

                The nice thing about the yellow insert, and Jim's yellow box, is: a) difficult to lose and b) easy to see when you're stomping around out in the boonies or at a local park operating /p.....regards, Jim R. K9JWV

                To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
                  I understand, again My compliments to the work you guys have done on the little rig, VERY NICE JOB.
                  72
                  Johnny AC0BQ