Re: ATS-4 shuts down

  • wrmoore47
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 11, 2011
      Anybody got any other ideas on this? What could be wrong that would cause the ATS-4 to work at 9v, and not work at all at 11.6v. This is entirely repeatable - I can switch back and forth between 8v and 11.6v and get the same results all the time. At 11.6v, everything looks like the ATS is in the state of being connected to power, but being powered off. The power button is working (i.e., it makes contact), but nothing changes.

      I'm suspicious of Q8 and Q7, but don't know how to determine if either or both is at fault without replacing them, and I don't have any replacements.

      As I've said earlier, I've resoldered all the power train connections, I've followed Steve's troubleshooting suggestions related to powering on followed by power going off, I've quadruple checked for the right components in the right place, solder bridges, unsoldered components, you name it!

      Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

      73,
      Randy, KS4L
    • Randy Moore
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 19, 2011
        Thanks, Steve. Just something to keep in mind.

        73,
        Randy, KS4L

        On Jul 19, 2011, at 12:18 PM, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

        The input voltage is measured after the input diode and the electronic
        on/off mosfet switch (which accounts for some of the 600 mv lost between the
        DC jack and the where it is measured). Since this is more or less a fixed
        drop, changing the resistor ratio to get the reading correct at 12 volts
        input would cause an error at lower voltages.

        In the ATS-4A version, I added 600 mv the measured voltage to get a more
        accurate input voltage reading.

        Steve