Problem updating ATS-3B firmware

  • Colin Tuckley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26 5:04 AM
      I'm trying to update the firmware on my ATS-3B from v1 to the v3 version Steve posted here back in 2007.

      I'm using the simple resistor interface that Steve mentioned in his Oct 2007 email with all 220R resistors.

      I have the LPT port on my T23 Thinkpad set to "Bi-directional".

      I downloaded the IAR development suite from W1MT's website and it installed ok and I've followed his configuration instructions.

      When I hit Cntrl-D I get a pop-up called "Emulator" which says "Initialising Hardware" after about 5 seconds it says "No device found or device disconnected"

      Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

      Colin G8TMV

      PS - the reason for wanting to do this is that I'd like to also try the W1MT firmware and maybe also make some of my own changes.

      --
      Colin Tuckley  |  colin@...   |  +44(0)7799 143369
      PGP/GnuPG Key Id: 0x1B3045CE

    • Michael Harnage
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27 6:29 AM
        Colin,

        Here is an old post that may help.

        I would also double check the cable you built just to make sure it's built correctly.

        Sometimes a parallel port is not a "real" parallel port. I don't know enough about them to tell, sorry.

        -mike/w1mt

      • Vojtech
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27 7:35 AM
          > Sometimes a parallel port is not a "real" parallel port. I don't know enough about them to tell, sorry.

          None of the USB to Parallel converters emulate full parallel port functionality. They just support printing.

          All the PCMCIA converters I heard of provide full Parallel port.

          Most of the Express Card parallel ports are in fact USB to Parallel converters, they will not work.

          I can imagine, that some of the docking stations will contain the USB to parallel converters, which again will not work.

          Vojtech OK1IAK
        • Colin Tuckley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27 7:42 AM
            On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Vojtech <bubnikv@...> wrote:
            > Sometimes a parallel port is not a "real" parallel port. I don't know enough about them to tell, sorry.

            None of the USB to Parallel converters emulate full parallel port functionality. They just support printing.

            <snip>

            Just for the record, I'm using a native parallel port actually on the laptop, which is an IBM Thinkpad T23

            Colin G8TMV

            --

          • jaevans@pcisys.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27 7:58 AM
              Try going into the bios and using the alternate modes for the parallel
              port. Off hand, I think one that works may be called EPP or ECP.

              72 - john - n0hj

            • Colin Tuckley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27 10:09 AM
                On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM, <jaevans@...> wrote:
                Try going into the bios and using the alternate modes for the parallel
                port.  Off hand, I think one that works may be called EPP or ECP.

                Right, It's got three choices:

                Out-Only
                Bi-directional
                ECP

                I've tried all three and it doesn't make any difference.

                I've triple checked the cable is wired correctly.

                I'm using IAR Embedded Workbench V3.21A that I got from Michael's site.

                Mike, Is that version known to work with the simple resistor based interface?

                Steve, which version of IAR did you use when you used the simple resistor interface?

                Colin G8TMV

                --
                Colin Tuckley  |  colin@...   |  +44(0)7799 143369
                PGP/GnuPG Key Id: 0x1B3045CE

              • K
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28 12:43 PM
                  I think this is a problem with the T23. Your post jogged my memory, and I remembered this post by KE5C on the TRlog mailing list:

                  http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2007-09/msg00002.html

                  where he was unable to read from his T23 parallel port. Unfortunately, I didn't find a solution posted there. You might try emailing him and seeing if he ever solved his problem.

                  73 Kevin w9cf

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Colin Tuckley <colintu@...> wrote:

                  > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM, <jaevans@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Try going into the bios and using the alternate modes for the parallel
                  > > port. Off hand, I think one that works may be called EPP or ECP.
                  > >

                  > Right, It's got three choices:
                  >
                  > Out-Only
                  > Bi-directional
                  > ECP
                  >
                  > I've tried all three and it doesn't make any difference.
                  >
                  > I've triple checked the cable is wired correctly.
                  >
                  > I'm using IAR Embedded Workbench V3.21A that I got from Michael's site.
                  >
                  > Mike, Is that version known to work with the simple resistor based
                  > interface?
                  >
                  > Steve, which version of IAR did you use when you used the simple resistor
                  > interface?
                  >
                  > Colin G8TMV
                  >
                  > --
                  > Colin Tuckley | colin@... | +44(0)7799 143369
                  > PGP/GnuPG Key Id: 0x1B3045CE

                • Colin Tuckley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28 1:05 PM
                    On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM, K <w9cf@...> wrote:
                    I think this is a problem with the T23. Your post jogged my memory, and I remembered this post by KE5C on the TRlog mailing list:

                    http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2007-09/msg00002.html

                    where he was unable to read from his T23 parallel port. Unfortunately, I didn't find a solution posted there. You might try emailing him and seeing if he ever solved his problem.

                    Right, thanks for that - He did find a solution to his problem - see:

                    http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2007-09/msg00003.html

                    However that seems to be to do with a missing pull-up supply which I don't think is the case here.

                    I think it's time to try a different PC - although since I'm a Linux user that means finding an old PC with XP on it at work.

                    Colin G8TMV

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 29 10:51 AM
                      On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM, K <w9cf@...> wrote:
                      I think this is a problem with the T23. Your post jogged my memory, and I remembered this post by KE5C on the TRlog mailing list:

                      Right, problem sorted! It was indeed the parallel port on the laptop.

                      I dragged an old PC out, installed XP and the IAR software and it "just worked".

                      btw - I was running XP natively on my Laptop, it is the only box I have (until now) that has Windoze on it

                      Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks.

                      Colin G8TMV