Re: [AT_Sprint] ATS3A calibration

  • asfco
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
      HI John;
         I will be building this kit shortly..would you please tell me more about your Paste/heatgun method ?    I am starting to compile a list of resources to help with the building of this kit
      and would appreciate any tips..
      Thanks
      Happy New Year
      John W2GB
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 31, 2006
        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Harnage <w1mt@...> wrote:
        John,

        Mike is right - you hold down the RIT and TUNE UP buttons while you
        power up the rig, and it goes into cal mode. Read the instructions
        carefully, and this will go OK. I just had to do it all over again
        several times for my QBSA, and you can repeat the procedure as needed
        if you get mixed up or whatever. Just remember that your settings
        must be saved at the end of the cal - read it over several times in
        the manual - the instructions are good.

        KX0R

        > I am out of town right now but if memory serves, try
        > holding RIT+TUNEUP to get to calibration upon power
        > up.
        >
        > 73 de w1mt
        > mike
        >
        > --- aarhus_ca <john.turgoose@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Trying to do the calibration per the manual - but I
        > > cannot get into
        > > 'cal mode' - holding in the two keys (menu/RIT)
        > > gives a different
        > > reponse than just powering up - but not ver nr - nor
        > > 'cal' -

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • aarhus_ca
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
          Thanks guys - Mike and KX0R .... my bad - pushing on the wrong buttons!

          All is well - the 10 mhz accurate to 4 dec places (10.0000) without
          tuning - the passband came up nicely on the scope and it is a livier
          beast now - made a first QSO yesterday with KC0JKD in MO - 4 watts out
          on 20 meters - 3 W on the other bands woth a 10.5V battery pack...

          One remaining problem - when it is first powered on it gives the most
          gawd awful squeal that really hurts the eardrums.. I had put a larger
          cap in C54 - so thinking I might have done something wrong - I
          replaced it with the original - still SQUEALS ..
          if you repower in a short time it is ok...

          ideas please?

          so now on to the QBSA !

          Thanks for your help...

          72 John VE3NFK

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "radio_kx0r" <careyfuller@...> wrote:

          > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Harnage <w1mt@> wrote:
          > John,
          >
          > Mike is right - you hold down the RIT and TUNE UP buttons while you
          > power up the rig, and it goes into cal mode. Read the instructions
          > carefully, and this will go OK. I just had to do it all over again
          > several times for my QBSA, and you can repeat the procedure as needed
          > if you get mixed up or whatever. Just remember that your settings
          > must be saved at the end of the cal - read it over several times in
          > the manual - the instructions are good.
          >
          > KX0R
          >

          > > I am out of town right now but if memory serves, try
          > > holding RIT+TUNEUP to get to calibration upon power
          > > up.
          > >
          > > 73 de w1mt
          > > mike
          > >
          > > --- aarhus_ca <john.turgoose@> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Trying to do the calibration per the manual - but I
          > > > cannot get into
          > > > 'cal mode' - holding in the two keys (menu/RIT)
          > > > gives a different
          > > > reponse than just powering up - but not ver nr - nor
          > > > 'cal' -

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
            > One remaining problem - when it is first powered on it gives the most
            > gawd awful squeal that really hurts the eardrums..

            I suggest checking the installation of the processor reset chip, u12,
            that is mounted on the bottom of the board but had to be rotated from
            a normal mounting orientation. It a bit tricky to get all three leads
            on the pads when rotated as indicated in the instructions.

            Dave, WA3OFF
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
              >> One remaining problem - when it is first powered on it gives the most
              >> gawd awful squeal that really hurts the eardrums..
              >
              >I suggest checking the installation of the processor reset chip, u12,

              I think I ran into one which was doing something like that and it turned
              out to be a bad connection somewhere in the audio circuit, so I'd poke
              around there some.

              72,
              Steve, KD1JV
              "Melt Solder"
              White Mountains of New Hampshire
              http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
              http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
            • aarhus_ca
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                Hi John

                Well - I got one of Cash Olsen's little paste syringe's; then I warmed
                it to room temp (keep it in the frige otherwise) - and then using a
                microscope (you can use a magnifier of your own choice of course) - I
                put a dab of paste on each smt pad.. a strip on the tiny ic's - then
                'carefully' placed each component on the board with tweezers - finicky
                work - I first organized all the parts so I could keep going when I
                started - I followed the instruction manual - but put the ic's on
                last. Then I put the board on a coffee warmer to warm it up; and used
                a 'proper' heat gun (Aoyue 906) waving it gently over the whole board
                until the parts just 'clicked' into place...
                2 'clicked' the wrong way which was a pain to reposition them under
                heat - but the board got done and worked first pass.

                Hope that helped

                72 John VE3NFK

                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "asfco" <asfco@...> wrote:

                > HI John;
                > I will be building this kit shortly..would you please tell me
                more about your Paste/heatgun method ? I am starting to compile a
                list of resources to help with the building of this kit
                > and would appreciate any tips..
                > Thanks
                > Happy New Year
                > John W2GB
                > snipped
              • aarhus_ca
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Hi Dave
                  Thanks.
                  checked it - it 'looks' fine under a microscope - but in any case
                  after the nasty squeal it all works fine so any other ideas please?

                  72 John VE3NFK

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmertz@...> wrote:

                  > > One remaining problem - when it is first powered on it gives the most
                  > > gawd awful squeal that really hurts the eardrums..
                  >
                  > I suggest checking the installation of the processor reset chip, u12,
                  > that is mounted on the bottom of the board but had to be rotated from
                  > a normal mounting orientation. It a bit tricky to get all three leads
                  > on the pads when rotated as indicated in the instructions.
                  >
                  > Dave, WA3OFF

                • Karl Larsen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
                    aarhus_ca wrote:
                    > Hi John
                    >
                    > Well - I got one of Cash Olsen's little paste syringe's; then I warmed
                    > it to room temp (keep it in the frige otherwise) - and then using a
                    > microscope (you can use a magnifier of your own choice of course) - I
                    > put a dab of paste on each smt pad.. a strip on the tiny ic's - then
                    > 'carefully' placed each component on the board with tweezers - finicky
                    > work - I first organized all the parts so I could keep going when I
                    > started - I followed the instruction manual - but put the ic's on
                    > last. Then I put the board on a coffee warmer to warm it up; and used
                    > a 'proper' heat gun (Aoyue 906) waving it gently over the whole board
                    > until the parts just 'clicked' into place...
                    > 2 'clicked' the wrong way which was a pain to reposition them under
                    > heat - but the board got done and worked first pass.

                    Hi This is Karl and Cash Olsen lives in my town. He has demoed the
                    method you used and did one ATS-3 that is VERY pretty. Which IC's didn't
                    click the right way? Were they the itsy bitsy switch chips?

                    73 Karl

                    > Hope that helped
                    >
                    > 72 John VE3NFK
                    >

                    > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "asfco" <asfco@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> HI John;
                    >> I will be building this kit shortly..would you please tell me
                    >>
                    > more about your Paste/heatgun method ? I am starting to compile a
                    > list of resources to help with the building of this kit
                    >
                    >> and would appreciate any tips..
                    >> Thanks
                    >> Happy New Year
                    >> John W2GB
                    >> snipped
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • pipesanddrums17
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                      John VE3NFK;
                      That method does sound like the way to go however I certainly
                      don't have anything that fancy here...Looks like I'll just have to be
                      careful take my time and use a 1/16 tip on my XYtronic 137ESD
                      soldering station.

                      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "aarhus_ca" <john.turgoose@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi John
                      >
                      > Well - I got one of Cash Olsen's little paste syringe's; then I
                      warmed
                      > it to room temp (keep it in the frige otherwise) - and then using a
                      > microscope (you can use a magnifier of your own choice of course) -
                      > put a dab of paste on each smt pad.. a strip on the tiny ic's - then
                      > 'carefully' placed each component on the board with tweezers -
                      finicky
                      > work - I first organized all the parts so I could keep going when I
                      > started - I followed the instruction manual - but put the ic's on
                      > last. Then I put the board on a coffee warmer to warm it up; and
                      used
                      > a 'proper' heat gun (Aoyue 906) waving it gently over the whole
                      board
                      > until the parts just 'clicked' into place...
                      > 2 'clicked' the wrong way which was a pain to reposition them under
                      > heat - but the board got done and worked first pass.
                      >
                      > Hope that helped
                      >
                      > 72 John VE3NFK
                      >

                      > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "asfco" <asfco@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > HI John;
                      > > I will be building this kit shortly..would you please tell me
                      > more about your Paste/heatgun method ? I am starting to compile a
                      > list of resources to help with the building of this kit
                      > > and would appreciate any tips..
                      > > Thanks
                      > > Happy New Year
                      > > John W2GB
                      > > snipped

                    • aarhus_ca
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                        That works fine too - I built my first one that way and it worked too...
                        John

                        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "pipesanddrums17" <asfco@...> wrote:

                        > John VE3NFK;
                        > That method does sound like the way to go however I certainly
                        > don't have anything that fancy here...Looks like I'll just have to be
                        > careful take my time and use a 1/16 tip on my XYtronic 137ESD
                        > soldering station.

                      • aarhus_ca
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                          No, fortunately it was NOT the little itsy bitsy 3 legged beasts - it
                          was one of the L's and a nearby cap - so not to bad to rotate back to
                          position.

                          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Karl Larsen <k5di@...> wrote:

                          > aarhus_ca wrote:
                          > > Hi John
                          > >
                          > > Well - I got one of Cash Olsen's little paste syringe's; then I warmed
                          > > it to room temp (keep it in the frige otherwise) - and then using a
                          > > microscope (you can use a magnifier of your own choice of course) - I
                          > > put a dab of paste on each smt pad.. a strip on the tiny ic's - then
                          > > 'carefully' placed each component on the board with tweezers - finicky
                          > > work - I first organized all the parts so I could keep going when I
                          > > started - I followed the instruction manual - but put the ic's on
                          > > last. Then I put the board on a coffee warmer to warm it up; and used
                          > > a 'proper' heat gun (Aoyue 906) waving it gently over the whole board
                          > > until the parts just 'clicked' into place...
                          > > 2 'clicked' the wrong way which was a pain to reposition them under
                          > > heat - but the board got done and worked first pass.
                          > >
                          > Hi This is Karl and Cash Olsen lives in my town. He has demoed the
                          > method you used and did one ATS-3 that is VERY pretty. Which IC's
                          didn't
                          > click the right way? Were they the itsy bitsy switch chips?
                          >
                          > 73 Karl
                          >
                          > > Hope that helped
                          > >
                          > > 72 John VE3NFK
                          > >

                          > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "asfco" <asfco@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> HI John;
                          > >> I will be building this kit shortly..would you please tell me
                          > >>
                          > > more about your Paste/heatgun method ? I am starting to compile a
                          > > list of resources to help with the building of this kit
                          > >
                          > >> and would appreciate any tips..
                          > >> Thanks
                          > >> Happy New Year
                          > >> John W2GB
                          > >> snipped
                          > >>

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • aarhus_ca
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Thanks Steve - I'll give that a look at - of course it is aggravating
                            that it only does it from a very 'cold' start.....
                            72 John VE3NFK

                            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                            > >> One remaining problem - when it is first powered on it gives the most
                            > >> gawd awful squeal that really hurts the eardrums..
                            > >
                            > >I suggest checking the installation of the processor reset chip, u12,
                            >
                            > I think I ran into one which was doing something like that and it turned
                            > out to be a bad connection somewhere in the audio circuit, so I'd poke
                            > around there some.
                            >

                            > 72,
                            > Steve, KD1JV
                            > "Melt Solder"
                            > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                            > http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
                            > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                          • aarhus_ca
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                              I have checked the audio circuitry per Steve - and couldn't find
                              anything BUT - it ONLY squeals IF there is a module inserted - sounds
                              like feedback - does it with all modules - new ideas please?

                              Thanks

                              72 John VE3NFK

                              --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "aarhus_ca" <john.turgoose@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Dave
                              > Thanks.
                              > checked it - it 'looks' fine under a microscope - but in any case
                              > after the nasty squeal it all works fine so any other ideas please?
                              >
                              > 72 John VE3NFK
                              >

                              > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmertz@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > One remaining problem - when it is first powered on it gives the
                              most
                              > > > gawd awful squeal that really hurts the eardrums..
                              > >
                              > > I suggest checking the installation of the processor reset chip, u12,
                              > > that is mounted on the bottom of the board but had to be rotated from
                              > > a normal mounting orientation. It a bit tricky to get all three leads
                              > > on the pads when rotated as indicated in the instructions.
                              > >
                              > > Dave, WA3OFF

                            • Michael Harnage
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                                Try it with a 50ohm dummy load and let us know what
                                happens.

                                -mike/wm1t

                                --- aarhus_ca <john.turgoose@...> wrote:

                                > I have checked the audio circuitry per Steve - and
                                > couldn't find
                                > anything BUT - it ONLY squeals IF there is a module
                                > inserted - sounds
                                > like feedback - does it with all modules - new ideas
                                > please?

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • aarhus_ca
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 6, 2007
                                  you fixed it ! thanks Mike

                                  72 John VE3NFK -

                                  now as I wrote on the WRP-L group - I need to package it and the QBSA
                                  - I think I might use the Altoids again - and either use a present
                                  box; or build a new one .. I'd just like to make it an easy switch
                                  over.... my son suggests that - and a little wooden frame to hold them
                                  together.