SOTA Alert

  • Fred Maas
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011
      Weather has turned mild, wind has calmed down.  There is a SOTA peak only a few miles from me, and I am going to put it on the air this afternoon, something of a shake down cruise for my super lightweight SOTA station.

      14.061 +/-

      1900z  +/- today (Friday, April 1)

      Rig ATS3B  3-5 watts

      Ant  end fed half wave deployed on a 20 ft push-up mast.

      SOTA  W5 / PW027  un-named crest #8409.

      I am planning to experiment with deploying on the side of the hill rather than the very tip-top, such that I think the hill will act as a reflector.  I believe that at the given height, the signal will be normal to the ground, so if the ground is very sloping, then "normal, or right angles to it, will cast the signal in a direction.

      If the weather holds, I may try setting up first on the east side of the hill, for perhaps an hour, then QRT for about 20 minutes, and redeploy on the west side, see if I can sense a difference in who I work as evidence for what the signal is doing.

      I will also be testing my carrying plan.

      I have quite a few summits in this area, most of which have no trails up, unlike the one today which has a road most of the way, that I hope to put on the air during the coming weeks.

      If you can, give me a listen,

      72

      Fred - KT5X/SOTA