External Speaker for ATS3B

  • dgauding
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
      I have an old 3" x 2-1/2" x 2" external speaker with mobile mounting bracket that has turned out to be quite the performer with my ATS3B. To suggest it provides room filling volume without additional amplification is appropriate. The speaker works well outdoors too.

      Instead of leaving my K2 on in the background in the shack I now use this speaker which matches up well with the ATS3B audio. Performance with my K2 or FT-817 is not in the same league.

      For the adventurous the speaker is marked "AT&T Auxiliary Speaker - For Use with Cellular Models 3040, 3050, 3440, 3450 - Power Rating 3W, 8 ohms - Made in Korea".

      All well and good but the referenced phones were sold in the early to mid-90s'. Perhaps looking through those boxes in front of hamfest or computerfest tables could turn one over or something close to it.

      I got lucky with this find but that's okay! <g>

      Dave Gauding, NF0R
    • WA0ITP
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
        GM Dave,

        Any chance you could measure the impedance of the speaker?
        Back to the bench, Winter's too valuable to waste
        I love this radio stuff !
        72, 73 Terry, WAØITP
        www.wa0itp.com
        www.4sqrp.com
        www.qrpspots.com

        |I have an old 3" x 2-1/2" x 2" external speaker with mobile mounting
        bracket that has turned out to be quite the performer with my ATS3B.
        To suggest it provides room filling volume without additional
        amplification is appropriate. The speaker works well outdoors too.

        | Instead of leaving my K2 on in the background in the shack I now use
        this speaker which matches up well with the ATS3B audio. Performance
        with my K2 or FT-817 is not in the same league.

        | For the adventurous the speaker is marked "AT&T Auxiliary Speaker -
        For Use with Cellular Models 3040, 3050, 3440, 3450 - Power Rating 3W,
        8 ohms - Made in Korea".

        | All well and good but the referenced phones were sold in the early
        to mid-90s'. Perhaps looking through those boxes in front of hamfest
        or computerfest tables could turn one over or something close to it.

        | I got lucky with this find but that's okay! <g>
        |

        | Dave Gauding, NF0R

      • Charles Nolin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hi Terry,

          I also purchased  a few external speakers from the mobile phone market. They work extremely
          well with my Sprint radios. I have all of the Sprint radio models. The little speakers are of very nice quality, and  when I saw them at the ham-fest, I decided to take a chance and got two at that time.

          When I  got home and tried them with my Sprint setup the performance was outstanding. I have many
          portable, mobile speakers from the major radio manufactures and these are the best. As for
          the size they were very small and perfect for portable and mobile use.

          The best part is, they are NOT made in China. They are made in Australia, and are
          4 ohm. I paid $4.00 each for them, and they were brand new in the box. I can't find the
          brand name at the moment. If you want, I will try to find the paperwork.....

          Chuck Nolin
          WA6LTV/4

          |I have an old 3" x 2-1/2" x 2" external speaker with mobile mounting
          bracket that has turned out to be quite the performer with my ATS3B.
          To suggest it provides room filling volume without additional
          amplification is appropriate. The speaker works well outdoors too.

          | Instead of leaving my K2 on in the background in the shack I now use
          this speaker which matches up well with the ATS3B audio. Performance
          with my K2 or FT-817 is not in the same league.

          | For the adventurous the speaker is marked "AT&T Auxiliary Speaker -
          For Use with Cellular Models 3040, 3050, 3440, 3450 - Power Rating 3W,
          8 ohms - Made in Korea".

          | All well and good but the referenced phones were sold in the early
          to mid-90s'. Perhaps looking through those boxes in front of hamfest
          or computerfest tables could turn one over or something close to it.

          | I got lucky with this find but that's okay! <g>
          |

          | Dave Gauding, NF0R

        • WA0ITP
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011

            That would be great Chuck,

            I'd like to use one in the headfone jack for all my qrp rigs , replacing the ear buds.

            Thank you, but dont spend too mych trme on it, I'm using a small powered speaker now and getting by ok.
            Back to the bench, Winter's too valuable to waste
            I love this radio stuff !
            72, 73  Terry, WAØITP
            www.wa0itp.com
            www.4sqrp.com
            www.qrpspots.com

            |I have an old 3" x 2-1/2" x 2" external speaker with mobile mounting
            bracket that has turned out to be quite the performer with my ATS3B.
            To suggest it provides room filling volume without additional
            amplification is appropriate. The speaker works well outdoors too.

            | Instead of leaving my K2 on in the background in the shack I now use
            this speaker which matches up well with the ATS3B audio. Performance
            with my K2 or FT-817 is not in the same league.

            | For the adventurous the speaker is marked "AT&T Auxiliary Speaker -
            For Use with Cellular Models 3040, 3050, 3440, 3450 - Power Rating 3W,
            8 ohms - Made in Korea".

            | All well and good but the referenced phones were sold in the early
            to mid-90s'. Perhaps looking through those boxes in front of hamfest
            or computerfest tables could turn one over or something close to it.

            | I got lucky with this find but that's okay! <g>
            |

            | Dave Gauding, NF0R

          • Chris Fowler
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
              You guys might want to try this

              http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SBA1700-37-Portable-Universal/dp/B0036TGKWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299115522&sr=8-2

              I've not tried it with the ATS-4 yet but I just finished a QSO using my
              KX1.

              The speaker is about 3" in diameter. Use 3 AAA batteries and will run
              20 hours off those. The amplification is great. On my KX1 I had the AF
              Gain at the 2nd dot. There is no AF gain control on this speaker. It
              comes with a pouch.

              I picked up mine at clearance at Target and bought it to use with this
              rigs that have no speaker. I still prefer headphones for weak signals.

              73,
              Chris k4fh
            • russellhulett
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                This one is 1/2 the price, incorporates an amplifier. I've owned one for about 2 years. Never tried with the ATS3B, but have used it with my rockmites and other QRP rigs sometimes.

                http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620

                73, Curt KB5JO

                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fowler <k4fh@...> wrote:

                > You guys might want to try this
                >
                > http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SBA1700-37-Portable-Universal/dp/B0036TGKWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299115522&sr=8-2
                >
                > I've not tried it with the ATS-4 yet but I just finished a QSO using my
                > KX1.
                >
                > The speaker is about 3" in diameter. Use 3 AAA batteries and will run
                > 20 hours off those. The amplification is great. On my KX1 I had the AF
                > Gain at the 2nd dot. There is no AF gain control on this speaker. It
                > comes with a pouch.
                >
                > I picked up mine at clearance at Target and bought it to use with this
                > rigs that have no speaker. I still prefer headphones for weak signals.
                >

                > 73,
                > Chris k4fh

              • Charles Nolin
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                  Hello,

                  I use several different powered speakers also. One of my favorite powered speaker
                  is by Altec Lansing;

                  One issue though is this speaker doesn't have a volume adjustment, so when needed I use an extension splitter that has the adjustment in the cable itself.  The quality of audio is outstanding.

                  I hope the link works.

                  Chuck Nolin
                  WA6LTV/4

                  This one is 1/2 the price, incorporates an amplifier. I've owned one for about 2 years. Never tried with the ATS3B, but have used it with my rockmites and other QRP rigs sometimes.

                  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620

                  73, Curt KB5JO

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fowler <k4fh@...> wrote:

                  > You guys might want to try this
                  >
                  > http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SBA1700-37-Portable-Universal/dp/B0036TGKWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299115522&sr=8-2
                  >
                  > I've not tried it with the ATS-4 yet but I just finished a QSO using my
                  > KX1.
                  >
                  > The speaker is about 3" in diameter. Use 3 AAA batteries and will run
                  > 20 hours off those. The amplification is great. On my KX1 I had the AF
                  > Gain at the 2nd dot. There is no AF gain control on this speaker. It
                  > comes with a pouch.
                  >
                  > I picked up mine at clearance at Target and bought it to use with this
                  > rigs that have no speaker. I still prefer headphones for weak signals.
                  >

                  > 73,
                  > Chris k4fh

                • w9ya
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                    I've also used this for YEARS. It's sits on the operating desk and it goes into my standard field kit, which I am very picky about. I've had mine for over 20 years, so it obviously works FB. .... Um, mine might be the older model, which probably uses the same op amp as the current one. I dunno exactly though.

                    - Bob
                    w9ya

                    On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:53 AM, russellhulett <rhulett1@...> wrote:

                    This one is 1/2 the price, incorporates an amplifier. I've owned one for about 2 years. Never tried with the ATS3B, but have used it with my rockmites and other QRP rigs sometimes.

                    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620

                    73, Curt KB5JO

                    --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fowler <k4fh@...> wrote:

                    > You guys might want to try this
                    >
                    > http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SBA1700-37-Portable-Universal/dp/B0036TGKWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299115522&sr=8-2
                    >
                    > I've not tried it with the ATS-4 yet but I just finished a QSO using my
                    > KX1.
                    >
                    > The speaker is about 3" in diameter. Use 3 AAA batteries and will run
                    > 20 hours off those. The amplification is great. On my KX1 I had the AF
                    > Gain at the 2nd dot. There is no AF gain control on this speaker. It
                    > comes with a pouch.
                    >
                    > I picked up mine at clearance at Target and bought it to use with this
                    > rigs that have no speaker. I still prefer headphones for weak signals.
                    >

                    > 73,
                    > Chris k4fh

                  • yo3dan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                      Hi,

                      Or, you may like to try this one (also an active speaker):
                      http://www.amazon.com/XMI-XMINI2-X-Mini-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B001UEBN42/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299178899&sr=1-3

                      And you may also see it on youtube (not ham related movie). Some of you may remember about (old) QRP-L list discussions on resonant speaker, since several years ago. Here is the movie:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpeYdWSdw2U

                      vy 72 de Dan