160 filter board??

  • mlangen@execpc.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2010
      Just wondering ... has anyone tried making a 160 filter board for an ATS-3A/B? I don't see any real barriers to doing that beyond the physical challenges of handling toroids that would likely be too big for the stock filter boards in order to accommodate all the additional windings. But, peering inside my Altoids tins, I see quite a bit of available space between the filter board and the side of the tin. If the board could be laid out to somehow hang the biggest inductors outboard into that space, it just might work.

      The '3A & B are such fun little rigs on 80, it almost seems a shame not to give it them try on 160. Has anyone tried to take them there ... yet?

      73,

      Mark -- WA9ETW
    • mlangen@execpc.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
        I guess the silence in response to this post means: "No."

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
          I'm thinking that you may be right.. no one is quite willing to step out and speak up. I've considered it,
          am still pondering all that would need to be done. In the mean time, Steve may be working on something
          along this line too.
            After the 160 contest, the thought still intrigues me, and with Stew coming.. it is even more interesting.
          Can you see an AT tied to a broadcast tower, fed by a 9v battery talking to .... pick anyone... in the middle of the night.
          In the dark because that would be when the tower is available.
            mmmmm good dreams.

          --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

          To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
          From: mlangen@...
          Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:26:17 +0000
          Subject: [AT_Sprint] Re: 160 filter board??

          I guess the silence in response to this post means: "No."

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, mlangen@... wrote:

          > Just wondering ... has anyone tried making a 160 filter board for an ATS-3A/B? I don't see any real barriers to doing that beyond the physical challenges of handling toroids that would likely be too big for the stock filter boards in order to accommodate all the additional windings. But, peering inside my Altoids tins, I see quite a bit of available space between the filter board and the side of the tin. If the board could be laid out to somehow hang the biggest inductors outboard into that space, it just might work.
          >
          > The '3A & B are such fun little rigs on 80, it almost seems a shame not to give it them try on 160. Has anyone tried to take them there ... yet?
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Mark -- WA9ETW

        • Michael Harnage
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
            160M has been done before on the ATS3 platform. Minor firmware changes and different filter board components. A search in the archives will reveal that Lutz DM2LB did it and I vaguely recall that Seab did it as well.

            -mike/w1mt
          • mlangen
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
              I think Steve said it was doable, but he never bothered to try because -- after all -- it's a "trail radio."  Well, as you know, they're also pretty good home shack radios, too.  (I have some pretty good 80m DX Qs in the log, and would love to try it on 160.)  Seems like somebody needs to figger out the necessary cores/turns and varicaps, and deal with the (not insurmountable, I think) packaging issues.

              Tell you what: if Steve (or somebody else) came out with a compatible board kit, I'd be at or near the head of the line to buy one.

              Mark -- WA9ETW

              P.S.  Gonna miss tomorrow night's hunt -- off to the first of the holiday parties.  Too bad, as 80 is the only band on which I'm doing any good this year.

              From: mlangen@...
              Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:26:17 +0000

              I guess the silence in response to this post means: "No."

              --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, mlangen@... wrote:

              > Just wondering ... has anyone tried making a 160 filter board for an ATS-3A/B? I don't see any real barriers to doing that beyond the physical challenges of handling toroids that would likely be too big for the stock filter boards in order to accommodate all the additional windings. But, peering inside my Altoids tins, I see quite a bit of available space between the filter board and the side of the tin. If the board could be laid out to somehow hang the biggest inductors outboard into that space, it just might work.
              >
              > The '3A & B are such fun little rigs on 80, it almost seems a shame not to give it them try on 160. Has anyone tried to take them there ... yet?
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Mark -- WA9ETW

            • mlangen
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
                I did do a quick look at the archives, but nothing seemed to jump out.  Sorry if I overlooked something.

                I seem to recall Steve saying that 160 was doable on the ATS platform, but he never pursued it because he thought it wouldn't be particularly useful in a "trail radio."

                Mark -- WA9ETW

                160M has been done before on the ATS3 platform. Minor firmware changes and different filter board components. A search in the archives will reveal that Lutz DM2LB did it and I vaguely recall that Seab did it as well.

                -mike/w1mt

              • James Rodenkirch
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 14, 2010
                  Mark: if you find something on the board let Dale, WC7S, know K???  Regards, Jim R. K9JWV

                  To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mlangen@...
                  Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:53:54 -0600

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2010
                    Jim:

                    All I know (at this point) is what Mike said about Lutz and Seab.  I haven't yet had time to go back and dig in the archives.  Maybe one or the other will speak up before I go looking.

                    Mark -- WA9ETW

                    Mark: if you find something on the board let Dale, WC7S, know K???  Regards, Jim R. K9JWV

                    To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mlangen@...
                    Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:53:54 -0600