Re: [AT_Sprint] ATS-4 (rev a) kits now ready for order!

  • saborns@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 10, 2010
      Hello Steve,

      I'd like to order a ATS-4. Your site still shows the "sold out" message. What do I need to do to order one. Can I just PayPal you the money?

      73, Steve K8IDN

      Steven Bornstein K8IDN
      475 E. North Broadway
      Columbus, Ohio 43214
      614 263-5819

      In a message dated 11/10/2010 2:11:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, steve.kd1jv@... writes:
      http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 10, 2010
        Your browser "refresh" button should bring in the correct (current) page.  I think you're seeing the old, out-of-date page.
        Steve
        aa8af

        On 11/10/2010 3:41 PM, saborns@... wrote:
        Hello Steve,

        I'd like to order a ATS-4. Your site still shows the "sold out" message. What do I need to do to order one. Can I just PayPal you the money?

        73, Steve K8IDN

        Steven Bornstein K8IDN
        475 E. North Broadway
        Columbus, Ohio 43214
        614 263-5819

        In a message dated 11/10/2010 2:11:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, steve.kd1jv@... writes:
        http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

        Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyrighted information. You must not present this message to another party without first gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, print, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us.

        If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this email is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.
      • daleputnam@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 10, 2010
          I'm thinking Steve's paypal box is seeing some activity too. (Hope I used the correct address) Don't wait to order....do it now. Make your Xmas early!!

          Have a great day,
          Dale - WC7S

          From: Steve <lawresh@...>
          Sender: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:26:07 -0500
          To: <AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [AT_Sprint] ATS-4 (rev a) kits now ready for order!

        • cstoverva@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 10, 2010
            Dale,

            I just came in from the woods out back and read the good news.  I paid a visit to Steve's Paypal account quick, fast and in a hurry.  I've been waiting a while like a lot of folks.  This looks like a fun rig.

            I was fox hunting armed with a gun this time, not my keyer paddles.  Actually deer hunting, but a fox ate our ducks last week, so I've declared war.  Gonna miss my girls and duck egg omelets.

            Chuck K4QS

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 10, 2010

              From: Steven <steve.kd1jv@...>

              Changes to the rev a kits.

              Three major'ish changes -
              1. Eliminated the Rx input toroids and replaced with RFC's. This one change eliminates the biggest problem builders had getting the rig to work.(should have thought of that a long time ago!) All bands are now double tuned inputs.

              2. Display replaced with 3 x 16 ascii LCD. This was done because I accidently ordered these instead of the graphics version for the first run - a $900 mistake - so I had to use them!

              Can these options be purchased and added as mods to the first run kits that haven't been built?
              KC7FYS
            • shadle
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010
                Jonathan <kc7fys@...> wrote:

                > Can these options be purchased and added as mods to the first run
                > kits that haven't been built?
                > KC7FYS

                I'm interested in this, too. Like Jonathan, I've not started my ATS-4 (the horror!) yet. Hope to make it one of my winter projects this year.

                Not so much interested in replacing the display, but more interested in the RFC's instead of the toroids. Is there a way we can order the parts from you, Steve, or at least get the values/part numbers so we can order them on our own?

                -john W4PAH
              • Dan Boardman
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010

                  I third that – I have TWO of the original kits unstarted – would like to do this.

                  Dan

                  KI4YZE

                  > Can these options be purchased and added as mods to the first run
                  > kits that haven't been built?
                  > KC7FYS

                  I'm interested in this, too. Like Jonathan, I've not started my ATS-4 (the horror!) yet. Hope to make it one of my winter projects this year.

                  Not so much interested in replacing the display, but more interested in the RFC's instead of the toroids. Is there a way we can order the parts from you, Steve, or at least get the values/part numbers so we can order them on our own?

                  -john W4PAH

                • Paul Mateer
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010
                    I think the display "upgrade" requires a firmware "upgrade" as well

                    --
                    Paul Mateer, AA9GG
                    Elan Engineering Corp.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010
                      Paul Mateer <paul.aa9gg@...> wrote:

                      > I think the display "upgrade" requires a firmware "upgrade" as well

                      Probably so. But to use RFCs instead of toroidal chokes would just be a matter of parts replacement.

                      My guess is that Steve has already purchased enough parts (RFCs) to cover the Rev A run of kits and not any extras. The parts numbers would be appreciated, though.

                      Group purchase, anyone?

                      -john W4PAH
                    • Dan Boardman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010

                        I’m in on a GROUP PURCHASE!!

                        Dan

                        KI4YZE

                        > I think the display "upgrade" requires a firmware "upgrade" as well

                        Probably so. But to use RFCs instead of toroidal chokes would just be a matter of parts replacement.

                        My guess is that Steve has already purchased enough parts (RFCs) to cover the Rev A run of kits and not any extras. The parts numbers would be appreciated, though.

                        Group purchase, anyone?

                        -john W4PAH

                      • John D'Ausilio
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010
                          I emailed Steve yesterday .. he said you can use the original toriods, eliminate the link, and connected the toroid across the two 'hot' pads ..

                          de w1rt/john

                          On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Dan Boardman <dan.boardman@...> wrote:

                          I’m in on a GROUP PURCHASE!!

                          Dan

                          KI4YZE

                          > I think the display "upgrade" requires a firmware "upgrade" as well

                          Probably so. But to use RFCs instead of toroidal chokes would just be a matter of parts replacement.

                          My guess is that Steve has already purchased enough parts (RFCs) to cover the Rev A run of kits and not any extras. The parts numbers would be appreciated, though.

                          Group purchase, anyone?

                          -john W4PAH

                        • Thomas Kuehl
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010
                            If the original ATS-4 board accommodates the additional input filter components and their physical layout, then this would be a useful change. I do hear some "funnies" coming through at times that I am certain are images. They tune the opposite of the true signals on the band. If this turns out to be doable, I too would like to get in on a group buy of the components

                            Otherwise, my ATS-4 is a terrific little radio. About my only wish is it had some sort of AGC. I've had my headphones nearly blown off my head when an ultra strong station keys up on a weak signal that I am carefully listening to.

                            '73, Thomas - AC7A

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010

                              Pse count me in for an RFC group purchase also, unless we can buy them from Steve..
                              Back to the bench, Winter's too valuable to waste
                              I love this radio stuff !
                              72, 73  Terry, WAØITP
                              www.wa0itp.com
                              www.4sqrp.com
                              www.qrpspots.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010

                                > I think the display "upgrade" requires a firmware "upgrade" as well

                                Besides new firmware, it would require completely rewiring all the pins on the display. The two types of displays are not pin compatable!

                                The only "upgrade" you can do is replace the Rx input toroids with RFC's. I did not buy extra RFC's. I only got enough to do the new round of kits. I know winding those little cores with all those turns of #32 is a PITA, but it really isn't all that bad!

                                Steve KD1JV
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 11, 2010
                                  I'm still working on the change and testing it. However, just swapping the fixed inductors for the toroids doesn't seem to do anything for the specs for the rx. It does allow one to not wind those three coils, and granted, sometimes it is a bit frustrating to wind the coils.. and without fine attention and good lighting one might find a second or even third winding experience. I know. It is a fuss... however, changing out for the fixed inductors after making the toroids work.. is useless.
                                    And on the plus side.. putting them in is a breeze, with a lotta space for the A+ lead, to rest. And,... if one were to want to put something else right there... hmmmmmm working on something????
                                    I may have that worked out shortly.

                                  Oh... and to answer the question... do I have the first 4? Yes! and am I ordering the next 4? YES!

                                  They are the best for specs that I have found.

                                  --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

                                • Jonathan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 12, 2010
                                    I have never been fully satisfied with portable audio solutions to this. It's
                                    one of those things we always seek--the perfect small audio
                                    amp/speakers/headphone output. There are dozens available, but wouldn't the
                                    ultimate solution be something that incorporated AGC/compression/limiting with a

                                    simple low-pass filter, or even something as flexible as we see in the SCAF kit
                                    the New England QRP guys have put together? A combination of a couple of these
                                    in one package would be a great addition to the ATS (and other portable) rigs.
                                    It's far less complex than engineering the compact transceivers, so it kind of
                                    gets ignored--or never formally kitted and offered.
                                    Jonathan KC7FYS

                                    >From: Thomas Kuehl <qrp_op@...>
                                    >

                                    >If the original ATS-4 board accommodates the additional input filter components

                                    >and their physical layout, then this would be a useful change. I do hear some
                                    >"funnies" coming through at times that I am certain are images. They tune the
                                    >opposite of the true signals on the band. If this turns out to be doable, I too

                                    >would like to get in on a group buy of the components
                                    >
                                    >Otherwise, my ATS-4 is a terrific little radio. About my only wish is it had
                                    >some sort of AGC. I've had my headphones nearly blown off my head when an
                                    >ultra strong station keys up on a weak signal that I am carefully listening to.
                                    >
                                    >'73, Thomas - AC7A

                                  • n41w124
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 15, 2010
                                      Jonathan, KD1JV has an interesting mp3 amp project on his web page.

                                      I built a similar one using an LM-4871 from Dan's Small Parts. The 4871 has the benefits of a bridging amp in a single chip and it works down to 2 volts.

                                      I built in a 3.7 V, 660 mAh Li-Ion camera battery. The charging circuit is copied from the OK1IKA CW/PSK decoder kit. Charging is via a USB cable. Big thanks to OK1IKA and KD1JV for showing how to use Li-Ion phone and camera batteries.

                                      The 1 inch diameter speaker is from discarded headphones. A convenient volume control knob serves as audio MGC for the ATS-4. The 4's filters are narrow enough that a SCAF is not needed. The tiny speaker is fine for CW and usable for listening to SolderSmoke podcasts on an audio player. A bigger speaker works for music.

                                      This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it does pretty well for me.

                                      Regards,

                                      Tom Williams
                                      K9AC

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 15, 2010
                                        Tom, that sounds great.
                                        As they say--photos or it didn't happen! ;-)
                                        Jonathan KC7FYS

                                        From: n41w124 <apt@...>
                                        To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 15, 2010
                                          OK. Photos are in the K9AC Album.

                                          Correction on the speaker... This one is from a transistor radio. The "one incher" was in another recent project, a Freq-Mite.

                                          73,

                                          TW