PSK decoder Zero or 'O'

  • vk3byd
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
      Hi,

      Does anyone know how the PSK/CW decoder handles numerical characters.
      I was decoding RWOLIF on the decoder but PocketDigi was showing it as RW0LIF
      However at start up Splash screen has a '0' in the version number not a 'O'

      Feature or fault?

      73
      Warren VK3BYD
    • warren_3byd
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
        Depends how I view this post of mine as to how the figure Zero and the capital O are displayed.
        So in summary, the decoder displayed the Zero as the capital O, whilst Pocketdigi displayed the Zero as a Zero.

        73
        Warren
        VK3BYD.

        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "vk3byd" <vk3byd@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Does anyone know how the PSK/CW decoder handles numerical characters.
        > I was decoding RWOLIF on the decoder but PocketDigi was showing it as RW0LIF
        > However at start up Splash screen has a '0' in the version number not a 'O'
        >
        > Feature or fault?
        >
        > 73
        > Warren VK3BYD

      • Vojtech
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
          Hi Warren.

          Sorry, it is a bug, which I missed.

          While it is easy to fix in the firmware, I only have prototypes with MSP430F1232, not the F1132, which was shipped with the kits eventually. I would rather wait for Steve to return from his hike to provide patched firmware. To flash the decoder, you will need to follow the same procedure as for flashing the ATS-3b or ATS-4.

          73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "warren_3byd" <vk3byd@...> wrote:

          > Depends how I view this post of mine as to how the figure Zero and the capital O are displayed.
          > So in summary, the decoder displayed the Zero as the capital O, whilst Pocketdigi displayed the Zero as a Zero.
          >
          > 73
          > Warren
          > VK3BYD.
          >
          > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "vk3byd" <vk3byd@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how the PSK/CW decoder handles numerical characters.
          > > I was decoding RWOLIF on the decoder but PocketDigi was showing it as RW0LIF
          > > However at start up Splash screen has a '0' in the version number not a 'O'
          > >
          > > Feature or fault?
          > >
          > > 73
          > > Warren VK3BYD

        • warren_3byd
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
            Hi Vojtech,

            No worries, I can happily wait for Steve to return.
            In the mean time I can sort out my programming lead.

            73
            Warren
            VK3BYD

            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Vojtech" <bubnikv@...> wrote:

            > Hi Warren.
            >
            > Sorry, it is a bug, which I missed.
            >
            > While it is easy to fix in the firmware, I only have prototypes with MSP430F1232, not the F1132, which was shipped with the kits eventually. I would rather wait for Steve to return from his hike to provide patched firmware. To flash the decoder, you will need to follow the same procedure as for flashing the ATS-3b or ATS-4.
            >
            > 73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA

          • Hide
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
              Hi Voitech,

              How can I flash the CPU?
              I don't have ATS-3B and have no experience to flash the CPU.
              Page39 of ATS-4 manual said this procedure?
              I'd like to prepare to flash.

              Thanks, ja9mat Hidehiko.

              > While it is easy to fix in the firmware, I only have prototypes with MSP430F1232, not the F1132, which was shipped with the kits eventually. I would rather wait for Steve to return from his hike to provide patched firmware. To flash the decoder, you will need to follow the same procedure as for flashing the ATS-3b or ATS-4.
              >
              > 73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA
            • Dohn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                Vojtech,
                this is going to get asked several times in the upcoming months. Where is the procedure for flashing these units found? I assume it's the 3-B and ATS4 manuals. I'm going to look later today. It must be because I've done it before with my 3-B I think. It was a while ago.

                It will most likely require a cable/lead or two to be made up. Will we need a cable/lead made up for the ATS4 to get rid of it's bug?

                Then install a "program port" connector and cable/lead for the morse/psk reader to fix it's bug?

                Might as well discuss these things while we await Steve's return or even get a good step by step procedure done up in the files section. If I were better at this stuff, I would make up a file that described each units' bug fix. From making up a cable to actually flashing each of the units.

                Dohn N8EWY

                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Vojtech" <bubnikv@...> wrote:

                > Hi Warren.
                >
                > Sorry, it is a bug, which I missed.
                >
                > While it is easy to fix in the firmware, I only have prototypes with MSP430F1232, not the F1132, which was shipped with the kits eventually. I would rather wait for Steve to return from his hike to provide patched firmware. To flash the decoder, you will need to follow the same procedure as for flashing the ATS-3b or ATS-4.
                >
                > 73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA
                >
                > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "warren_3byd" <vk3byd@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Depends how I view this post of mine as to how the figure Zero and the capital O are displayed.
                > > So in summary, the decoder displayed the Zero as the capital O, whilst Pocketdigi displayed the Zero as a Zero.
                > >
                > > 73
                > > Warren
                > > VK3BYD.
                > >
                > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "vk3byd" <vk3byd@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know how the PSK/CW decoder handles numerical characters.
                > > > I was decoding RWOLIF on the decoder but PocketDigi was showing it as RW0LIF
                > > > However at start up Splash screen has a '0' in the version number not a 'O'
                > > >
                > > > Feature or fault?
                > > >
                > > > 73
                > > > Warren VK3BYD

              • Michael Harnage
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                  At the risk of shameless self promotion please read my website for instructions on how to flash ATS firmware. The instructions are ATS2 and ATS3 specific should work for the ATS4 as well. Start reading here:

                  http://w1mt.qrpradio.com/ats3.html

                  Here is a link for a simple cable setup:

                  Enjoy!

                  -mike/w1mt
                • John A. Evans - N0HJ
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                    Thanks Mike

                    One helpful note - you do not need to obtain a connector to solder onto the location on the ATS 3 or 4 - if you can get a pin connector from the jtag cable all you need to do is insert the pins into connections on the ATS board and you should have a good enough connection to program the device.  I did that with a friend's ATS3 and was able to program his MCU with Mikes instructions with no difficulty.

                    72 - john - n0hj

                    Michael Harnage wrote:

                    At the risk of shameless self promotion please read my website for instructions on how to flash ATS firmware. The instructions are ATS2 and ATS3 specific should work for the ATS4 as well. Start reading here:

                    http://w1mt.qrpradio.com/ats3.html

                    Here is a link for a simple cable setup:

                    Enjoy!

                    -mike/w1mt

                  • Gil Stacy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010

                      Mike,
                      Nothing shameless about it.  You are always there to help.
                      73 Gil
                    • Gil Stacy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010

                        Er, should read, nothing to be ashamed about. ;)
                        Gil
                      • Hide
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                          Thanks Mike,I should study.

                          ja9mat hidehko

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                            I built a copy of the TI FET interface.
                            http://www.kufr.cz/~ok1iak/HAM/olimex-programmer/index.php3

                            A word of caution. The simple programming interface suggested by Steve Weber is out of chip specs. It most probably will not destroy your chip though.

                            If there are other bugs or suggestions for the decoder, I am interested in hearing it, so it could be fixed all at once.

                            I am also interested in pictures of the decoder kits in enclosure. If there ever will be another run, we may suggest a well fitting enclosure and adapt the kit to it.

                            73, Vojtech OK1IAK

                            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Hide" <qrper72@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Mike,I should study.
                            >
                            > ja9mat hidehko
                            >

                            > > At the risk of shameless self promotion please read my website for instructions on how to flash ATS firmware. The instructions are ATS2 and ATS3 specific should work for the ATS4 as well. Start reading here:
                            > >
                            > > http://w1mt.qrpradio.com/ats3.html

                          • n1rx
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 22, 2010
                              Hi Steve.
                              Glad you are felling better! This is probably a bit premature but... Are the remaining CW/PSK31 decoders going to ship with the firmware patched to correct the incorrect zero character display? Vojtech indicated that we would have to wait on a patch and reload firmware in the existing ones.

                              Also will be looking for a firmware update for the ATS-4 sometime to correct the few bugs that have surfaced there.

                              Continue healing up, and we'll see you at Lobstercon on July 9/10/11
                              72/73, Bruce N1RX

                              --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Vojtech" <bubnikv@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Warren.
                              >
                              > Sorry, it is a bug, which I missed.
                              >
                              > While it is easy to fix in the firmware, I only have prototypes with MSP430F1232, not the F1132, which was shipped with the kits eventually. I would rather wait for Steve to return from his hike to provide patched firmware. To flash the decoder, you will need to follow the same procedure as for flashing the ATS-3b or ATS-4.
                              >
                              > 73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA
                              >
                              > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "warren_3byd" <vk3byd@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Depends how I view this post of mine as to how the figure Zero and the capital O are displayed.
                              > > So in summary, the decoder displayed the Zero as the capital O, whilst Pocketdigi displayed the Zero as a Zero.
                              > >
                              > > 73
                              > > Warren
                              > > VK3BYD.
                              > >
                              > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "vk3byd" <vk3byd@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi,
                              > > >
                              > > > Does anyone know how the PSK/CW decoder handles numerical characters.
                              > > > I was decoding RWOLIF on the decoder but PocketDigi was showing it as RW0LIF
                              > > > However at start up Splash screen has a '0' in the version number not a 'O'
                              > > >
                              > > > Feature or fault?
                              > > >
                              > > > 73
                              > > > Warren VK3BYD

                            • warren_3byd
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 22, 2010
                                Gents,

                                I noticed that the back-slash character `\' is displayed as a Yen character (that is the `Y' with two lines through it) I assume this is a function of the LCD controller.

                                Also I have placed a photo of my completed Decoder kit the vk3byd folder in the photos section of this group.

                                73
                                Warren
                                VK3BYD
                              • Vojtech
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 22, 2010
                                  Hi Warren and Bruce.

                                  Steve wrote to me that he did not make any significant change in the firmware for the smaller MSP430 chip. I will fix the Zero problem and I will also look into the backslash. I will publish the source code this weekend hopefully.

                                  Please let me know whether there are any other bugs left.

                                  Vojtech

                                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "warren_3byd" <vk3byd@...> wrote:

                                  > Gents,
                                  >
                                  > I noticed that the back-slash character `\' is displayed as a Yen character (that is the `Y' with two lines through it) I assume this is a function of the LCD controller.
                                  >
                                  > Also I have placed a photo of my completed Decoder kit the vk3byd folder in the photos section of this group.
                                  >
                                  > 73
                                  > Warren
                                  > VK3BYD

                                • Vojtech
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 5, 2010
                                    Gang,

                                    I released the Decoder's source code with the Oh-zero bug fixed. You will find it in the files section of the PocketDigi project:
                                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pocketdigi/files/
                                    Look for Decoder-1.1-src.zip

                                    You will need some MSP430 FET programmer. You will find some hints in the INSTALL.txt file in the decoder source code.

                                    The project is configured for the MSP430F1232 controller. Most probably it will work with the MSP430F1132 without any change. If that does not work, please try to configure the project for the MSP430F1132 controller.

                                    I checked why the backslash '\' is displayed as Yen character. I found out that the HD44780 display controller has two characters different from the ASCII character set in the lower 127 positions. One is the backslash, the other is '~', which is displayed as a right arrow by the display. It is a minor annoyance and I am not going to do anything about it now. The only way to really fix it is to generate the two characters by software, but number of custom characters is very limited and most of the positions are currently used by the baragraph.

                                    73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA