Re: [AT_Sprint] Interesting experiment

  • Jeffrey Embry
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
      Mike,

      I like this idea. Kinda reminds me of the multi-pig that I missed to
      boat on ordering.

      Jeff Embry, K3OQ
      You are welcome to visit my blog at:
      k3oq.net/wordpress

      --

      FM19je
      ARCI #11643

      No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however a large

      On 12/7/06, Michael Harnage <w1mt@...> wrote:
      > ATS-4. 9 bands! After all, its gonna require more
      > power why not go to a little larger board, put wide
      > mode back in, have rf attenuation vice agc and still
      > have changable filter boards. Size it to fit in a
      > standard smaller Hammond box. Oh and make digital
      > display optional and don't use the rocker switches,
      > keep with these tactile switches or go to a remote
      > flat tactile array, or even an ipod like interface. I
      > can really see the circle ring being very useful for
      > all kinds of radio control, etc.
      >
      > My 2 cents.
      >
      > -mike/w1mt
      >
      > --- Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:
      >

      > > But this rises the question of what to do with this
      > > new insight. An ATS-3B
      > > which covers 20-10M?

    • Michael Harnage
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
        Oh, one more thing. Use a "bigger" TI mpu that has
        more ports. I am sure we can think of cool stuff to do
        with more ports. :)

        -mike/w1mt

        --- Jeffrey Embry <jeffrey.embry@...> wrote:

        > Mike,
        >
        > I like this idea. Kinda reminds me of the multi-pig
        > that I missed to
        > boat on ordering.

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • John A. Evans - N0HJ
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
          OK, I've thought about for a bit. All the ideas I am hearing are great.

          BUT, primarily, I want a 17/15/12/10m backpacking rig similar to the
          ATS-3 or ATS-3A.

          Secondarily, a nice small portable all band rig with modules would be
          great, too - something I can take to the field or use on my desktop.

          72 - john - n0hj
        • Ron Pfeiffer
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
            Instead of "plugin" band modules how about a wafer switch with lots of
            torroids! Isn't
            that what they did in the old days( bandswitch)?

            Ron
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              >ATS-4. 9 bands! After all, its gonna require more
              >power why not go to a little larger board, put wide
              >mode back in, have rf attenuation vice agc and still
              >have changable filter boards. Size it to fit in a

              Ahh, good old feature creep. It is tempting, but I hate to abandon the
              Altiods tin form factor. It makes such a cute little radio, which is why
              many of you bought one :-)

              The easiest thing for me to do is stick with the current ATS-3A board.
              Maybe with some minor revisions and clean up. I might have to squeeze
              another section onto the DDS filter. There could be a "secret" band select
              mode so those who have a ATS3A already could use the low band modules too.

              Well, the first thing to do is to build up the rest of the board and see
              how well it all works.
              72,
              Steve, KD1JV
              "Melt Solder"
              White Mountains of New Hampshire
              http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
              http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
            • Thomas Kuehl
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                ATS'ers,

                Here's my dos centavos worth...
                1. Move the band plug-in socket such that it protrudes throught the front panel, so that the modules can be inserted without having to open the can. I fumble around inside trying to get them in and out. I guess I have big hands.
                2. The tactile switches are ok, but I'd like much bigger buttons on the switches.
                3. The 8 band idea was one I was pondering last eveing while I was out on my run. We wouldn't be able to use the current modules because the pin decode would have to be 2-to the-3rd. But I like the idea of 80 through 10 meters in one little package.
                4. Some kind of receive RF attenuator. Sometimes my ATS-3A blasts my ears off when I come across a super strong station. I like the variable pot option as oppossed to a fixed attenuator.
                5. Add another pushbotton to increase the frequency tuning speed. Something on the order of 500Hz. I tend to scan the band from top to bottom and using 50Hz/step takes a long time
                6. An built-in frequency display would be nice option.
                Steve we're never going to leave you alone. That's it for now!

                '73, Thomas - AC7A (an ATS-3A op)

                Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:
                Recently, I found a 80 MHz 3.3V clock oscillator I had forgoten I had. Must
                have ordered it for something and never got around to that project. So,
                today I tried an experiment. I hooked it up to one of my few spare AD9834
                chips from the most recent lot and fired it up. Amazingly, it has output!
                Kinda thought it would, as AD respce'd the part to work at 75 MHz and
                didn't change the part number. And if it could be pushed that high, why not
                a little higher? Anyway, apparently 75 MHz isn't a stock clock oscillator
                freq where 80 is.

                Now to change the reference freq numbers in the MPU, design a new filter
                and see if it will work up to 10 M. With an 80 MHz clock, it should be just
                do-able.

                But this rises the question of what to do with this new insight. An ATS-3B
                which covers 20-10M?
                72,
                Steve, KD1JV
                "Melt Solder"
                White Mountains of New Hampshire
                http://www.qsl. net/kd1jv/
                http://kd1jv. qrpradio. com

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                  > There could be a "secret" band select mode so those who have a
                  > ATS3A already could use the low band modules too.

                  Clever use of the existing 2 band-ID lines will get you 5 additional
                  band-module IDs. Have the processor drive one low and look for a
                  change on the other. Use a jumper, diode or transistor (inversion)
                  between the pins, grounding none.

                  Dave
                • steve_n0tu
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    YES! Please keep the A-tin forum factor by all means!!! ...go for a
                    High or Low band versions of the kit ATS3 A/low or B/high.

                    If conditions continue to improve (and they are and will! 17m is open
                    almost every day now) I'd opt for throwing the ATS3b in my pack to
                    play in the high bands with smaller antennas, more DX and the fact
                    less power goes furthur.

                    Albeit in perfect world it'd nice to have K2 w/ALL options jammed into
                    a Altoids (maybe)? But I kinda prefer the simplicity of the ATS and
                    even it's limitations. It's got the charm of Tuna Tin II with the
                    feature set of the K1 and weighs less than half a TT2 and fit's in my
                    parka pocket. Best yet it can survive bouncing around in the bottom
                    of my pack for many trail miles and still power ready for a Q! Nah,
                    Keep it simple! Altoids size is winner! IMHO.

                    Steve/n0tu
                  • Mark Brueggemann
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      --- steve_n0tu <n0tu.qrp@...> wrote:

                      > YES! Please keep the A-tin forum factor by all means!!! ...

                      I'm with N0TU, a little bigger might not be too bad, but not
                      too much. Another feature I like about the ATS is the lack
                      of externally protruding controls, unlike the KX1. The seperate
                      band modules aren't a big problem, since they fit inside the
                      tin for storage. Gotta admit, the capability of the higher
                      bands is compelling, but 40 and 20 still covers it well. It's
                      a great rig for air travel, where size and weight are just as
                      significant as the Spartan Sprint.

                      Mark K5LXP
                      Albuquerque, NM
                    • Mike Schettler
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                        I too don't want to see the ATS rigs grow in size.

                        Since the ATS3 rigs are re-programmable, how about having the software determine what
                        bands it uses at a given time? When propagation on the high bands is poor, just program it
                        for 80-20m. In a few years, a version set up for 17-10m might be more useful. If Steve were
                        able to provide extra band modules, for a price of course, we could have the option of setting
                        up the radio however we want.

                        Mike Schettler WA6MER
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                          >Since the ATS3 rigs are re-programmable, how about having the software
                          determine what
                          >bands it uses at a given time? When propagation on the high bands is poor,
                          just program it
                          >for 80-20m. In a few years, a version set up for 17-10m might be more
                          useful.

                          If it were only that simple!
                          Besides additional band modules and a new firmware program to support these
                          bands, the DDS clock has to be changed to 80 MHz (getting those clock
                          oscillators off the board once thier soldered in place isn't easy!) The
                          74HC02 PA driver has to be changed to a 74AC02 type, all the components in
                          the DDS filter have to be changed and that's just what I know about at the
                          moment.

                          I have a board built up with these changes on it now. Maybe by tomrrow I'll
                          start on making filter modules and see how it works.
                          72,
                          Steve, KD1JV
                          "Melt Solder"
                          White Mountains of New Hampshire
                          http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
                          http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
                        • Doug Phillips
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                            Steve,

                            Sign me up for the 3B too! I would like it to work like the -3 with
                            the option to bypass the IF filter to RX SSB and cross mode if you can
                            fit that in.

                            73

                            Doug W7RDP

                            > But this rises the question of what to do with this new insight. An
                            ATS-3B
                            > which covers 20-10M?
                            > 72,
                            > Steve, KD1JV
                            > "Melt Solder"
                            > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                            > http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
                            > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                          • Petr Ouředník
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                              Dave,

                              that is what I am dreaming about - good deal as You have customers and orders coming although You did not finished the project and You have not product launched, hihi. great.

                              73 and GL,

                              Petr OK1RP

                              > Od: Doug Phillips <w7rdp@...>
                              > Předmět: [AT_Sprint] Re: Interesting experiment
                              > Datum: 08.12.2006 19:12:13
                              > Steve,
                              >
                              > Sign me up for the 3B too! I would like it to work like the -3 with
                              > the option to bypass the IF filter to RX SSB and cross mode if you can
                              > fit that in.
                              >
                              > 73
                              >
                              > Doug W7RDP
                              >

                              > > But this rises the question of what to do with this new insight. An
                              > ATS-3B
                              > > which covers 20-10M?
                              > > 72,
                              > > Steve, KD1JV
                              > > "Melt Solder"
                              > > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                              > > http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
                              > > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                              Petr Ouředník
                              00420608230010 (private)
                              indians@...
                              http://ok1rp.blog.cz (Hamradio)
                              http://topband.blog.cz (160m)
                              www.qsl.net/ok1rp
                            • w9ya@arrl.net
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                Hey Mike and the gang;

                                I am also in the "keep it the same size" group.

                                I like your idea, but would suggest using a main board mounted
                                header-based switch for the (high ordered) 3rd bit. i.e. a simple
                                header that allowed for the extra bit in order to get more band module
                                selections without having to reprogram the unit.

                                Vy 72;

                                Bob
                                w9ya

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 9, 2006
                                  First the good news:

                                  I've got the rig working on 17/15/12 and 10 meters. Power output 2.5 watts
                                  or better on all bands at 9V input. PA effiecentcy looks to be running
                                  about 64 % on average. Tx spurs are -50 dBc on all bands but 10, where the
                                  worst are -40 dBc. Minor changes in the spacing of the turns of the LPF
                                  toroids make significant changes in power output. I ended up using the same
                                  value caps in all the filters, the only difference being slight changes in
                                  the number of turns on the coils and the turn spacing.

                                  Now the bad news:

                                  As expected, the operating idle current went up significantly, from 27 mA
                                  for the stock ATS-3A to 43 mA for the HB version. A more troublesome
                                  problem also became apparent, major keyclicks and raspy sidetone in the
                                  audio on the 12 and 10 meter band. Worse than normal on 17 and 15 also, but
                                  not nearly as bad as 12 and 10. I think it might take a higher current
                                  output 5V regulator to fix that problem.

                                  Back to tinkering...