Re: QBSA redesign thoughts

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2 10:15 AM
      That falls into the relam of "is this designed specifically for use with the ATS-3 series rigs (and possibly the 2) or is it make to be general purpose?" And if it's make to be general purpose how to make it so it can be switched between different rigs without a lot of trouble and what if they use different VFO and IF schemes?

      I don't have a NESCAF, but I belive its on a fairly large board and cost $50.00, so it might be a bit much to add.
      Steve KD1JV

      > This will probably fall into the area of "too much" but the NESCAF could possibly be included? That would make the QBSA useful for other rigs with wider IF.
      > Jonathan KC7FYS
    • Paul Mateer
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2 11:47 AM
        I'd say make it GP then have a setup menu (LCD display) to adjust offsets and such. As far as SWR, isn't it just math once you know F/R power?

        --
        Paul Mateer, AA9GG
        Elan Engineering Corp.
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2 1:12 PM
          I do not care what it fits in I just want one  HI HI
          I can make a plexaglass box to fit and see in side.

          NS7E Art

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2 1:33 PM
            The NEQRP club's NEScaf is very useful for rigs that don't have nice tight filtering to begin with. The ATS rigs do not suffer from this. It is a nice general purpose filter, though. The board is small enough that it can be added into many radios or outboard accessories. I am not sure of the exact price for this next run, due to some changes in parts pricing. The last run sold for $31, I believe (connectors have always been optional, exactly because some people build them into existing projects)

            -Bruce N1RX

            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

            > I don't have a NESCAF, but I belive its on a fairly large board and cost $50.00, so it might be a bit much to add.
            > Steve KD1JV
            >

            > > This will probably fall into the area of "too much" but the NESCAF could possibly be included? That would make the QBSA useful for other rigs with wider IF.
            > > Jonathan KC7FYS

          • bgriffin
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2 3:36 PM
              When I packaged my ATS3B.1 I included a frequency counter, Tenna
              Dipper, Audio Amp, and
              modified BLT+. This combination has worked so far, but, sadly I haven't
              had much time for
              field use.

              I have especially gotten use out of the frequency counter and tenna
              dipper. Using the frequency
              counter for both the rig and the dipper, just move one jumper cable with
              a mini-clip to the frequency
              sampling spots. Here is a link to the schematic of the frequency
              counter I used, it is modified from
              one I found on the Ham Radio India web site.

              http://web.olp.net/bgriffin-olp/fc628ani5x1.jpg

              http://www.hamradioindia.org/circuits/fcountlcd.php

              The counter uses one jumper and two push buttons to select offsets as I
              modified it.

              Bill, ni5x
            • heathkitguy
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2 5:13 PM
                Steve:

                Two thoughts:

                1) An ATU would be a great complement. I think that's why Elecraft makes them available on all of their rigs.

                2) As nice as the QBSA sounds, I'd be more excited to see the ATS5 and ATS6! Thgere's just nothing like a transceiver kit!

                I'm starting on the ATS4 this weekend.

                DX,

                W3DX

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2 5:29 PM
                  Hi Steve,
                    About the QBSA redesign thoughts... for me... the original QBSA works well on the bench...
                  it could work better in that role...
                    with the freq counter working on 80.. also. like you said..
                     the audio amp is good... especially when connected to radios that are having issues...
                     the power feed would be very helpful if it had current regulation... to set it just below the threshold, announce the limit with an led... and keep the voltage supplied.. thus allowing adjustment without reset. Then when finished adjustments, the limiter bypassed, or disconnected, and it would be back to fully protected.
                    The variable supply is accomodated with a switched in line resistor.. leaves the 12v supply, but drops the input to the radio to 9.5 or 9.6 volts. The current limiter would be better for me than the variable voltage.
                    The pwr forward - reverse is perfect. No swr needed.. just power reading.. switchable.. to forward then reverse... when used in conjunction with a ZM-2 it becomes very nice.

                  And, if this is possible.....

                  Thank you Steve,
                  and have a Happy Easter,

                  --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

                  To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2 5:50 PM
                    Steve,
                    I don't know if you were serious about the deluxe QBSA. If you were, I'm telling you, it would be hotter than the new 4. That would be one fine acquisition. An AWESOME accessory! I would so want one for me and one for when they become a hard to get, widely sought after treasure.

                    The audio amp wouldn't hurt anything either as Dale said. It would also be outstanding if it would work with the ATS family. At least the 3-B and 4. Enclosure would be the least important thing for me if it meant a huge difference in price. It might be the difference between affordable or not for some. I think many ATS operators would want one. Do give it some thought please.

                    Dohn N8EWY
                    --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Dale Putnam <daleputnam@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >
                    > The audio amp is something I think can be dropped without question. I'm sure we all have a spare set or two of amplified PC speakers that can be used if you want speaker output.
                    >
                    > Now if I did the deluxe version - frequency display, votlage regulator and power/SWR - it might make sense to go to a LCD display so that more information can be displayed at one time instead of the simple 4 digit LED display, dispite the higher cost of the LCD.
                    >
                    > And while were at it, do I add the rotary tuning adaptor? Then have a cabinet made which the rig can either be built into or pluged into to make it more of a base station rig? Who cares about the expense!
                    >
                    > Addtional thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Please keep it within the realm of possiblity though, some of you guys can get carried away with your wish lists, hi!

                  • Steven
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2 7:27 PM
                      Dale,

                      Well, here we get into a whole nother aspect. No longer is it just an accessory for a rig, but a piece of test equipment for the bench. All it needs then is a signal generator. Except for the inherent short circuit protection using a variable regulator chip gives, adding adjustable current limiting would be something I don't think I'd build in. I'm on the fence about an audio amp. These are features one can add easy enough if desired. A convent source of small audio amps, already built, are in those amplified PC speakers everyone has a collection of. I must have 3-4 pairs.

                      Steve
                      ,

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 2 8:32 PM
                        Hi Steve,
                          I can see that... and that is why I want two of them... one for the operating desk, and one for the test bench.
                          And... for the one on the operating desk, the adaptability to each rig... could be with the same connector set up as the filters to the radio.. and that could be extended with a short flat cable, for dc and audio, audio out to a set of the little amp speakers.. or to a dedicated speaker.
                          And when it all gets done... it is still fun to dream about what would be best... the skill and adeptness... is exposed when you present your next.... project.

                        Thank you,

                        --... ..--- Dale - WC7S in Wy

                        To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
                        From: steve.kd1jv@...
                        Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 02:27:54 +0000
                        Subject: [AT_Sprint] Re: QBSA redesign thoughts

                        Dale,

                        Well, here we get into a whole nother aspect. No longer is it just an accessory for a rig, but a piece of test equipment for the bench. All it needs then is a signal generator. Except for the inherent short circuit protection using a variable regulator chip gives, adding adjustable current limiting would be something I don't think I'd build in. I'm on the fence about an audio amp. These are features one can add easy enough if desired. A convent source of small audio amps, already built, are in those amplified PC speakers everyone has a collection of. I must have 3-4 pairs.

                        Steve
                        ,

                        > About the QBSA redesign thoughts... for me... the original QBSA works well on the bench...
                        >
                        > it could work better in that role...
                        >
                        > with the freq counter working on 80.. also. like you said..
                        >
                        > the audio amp is good... especially when connected to radios that are having issues...
                        >
                        > the power feed would be very helpful if it had current regulation.. . to set it just below the threshold, announce the limit with an led... and keep the voltage supplied.. thus allowing adjustment without reset. Then when finished adjustments, the limiter bypassed, or disconnected, and it would be back to fully protected.
                        >
                        > The variable supply is accomodated with a switched in line resistor.. leaves the 12v supply, but drops the input to the radio to 9.5 or 9.6 volts. The current limiter would be better for me than the variable voltage.
                        >
                        > The pwr forward - reverse is perfect. No swr needed.. just power reading.. switchable.. to forward then reverse... when used in conjunction with a ZM-2 it becomes very nice.

                      • Petr Ourednik
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3 2:03 AM
                          Steve and others,

                          please do not make it more and more complicated.

                          Stay with an original four options and just spend time with
                          solving the size/layout refer to Altoids box (if needed) and
                          mainly solve the wiring/connections between ATS and QBSA.

                          If some additional option should be valuable then it is simple
                          tunning circuit (like PFR) and SWR calculation from ref/fwed power
                          and batt management. That's all !

                          Rotary encoder is already on the market, additional filters also,
                          there is tons of options can be added but it is not the main goal
                          I guess.

                          ATS + QBSA + (rot.encoder) = perfect micro base tcvr.
                          ATS = best portable tcvr ever seen.

                          My 1/2 cents...

                          73 - Petr, OK1RP
                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4 7:43 PM
                            Steve,
                            It's nice to see you're toying with the idea. I came along too
                            late to get a QBSA. For my use - the power meter (swr nice, but not a
                            necessity), freq readout, and rotary encoder would make it a really fun
                            little base rig. I also like the selectable voltage output. I use mine
                            on a 9V pack of "AA" batteries and have never found the need to go for
                            12V. Why push it? But having a non- battery power source would be
                            nice at the base station. A tuner is cool, but I already have one in
                            live with all the base antennas, so that would be bypassed in my case.
                            Yes, I have an old RS amplified speaker but use headphones most of the
                            time unless I'm just letting it run in the background.
                            Who cares about cost? Me. But I imagine it would be fairly
                            reasonable anyway. You do an outstanding job of packing in the best
                            bang for the buck. If this idea plays out, I'll be on your buyers list
                            for sure.

                            Thanks,
                            Mark
                            KC4GIA
                          • querencias
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 5 12:13 PM
                              Steve,

                              I too, would like to have one of your QBSA kits - if you go back into production I'll be one of the first to get one.

                              Your designs are very clever, even elegant. I've built three of your kits and love each one.

                              72 de Grant