Re: [AT_Sprint] Re: New project in works - base station accessory

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 25, 2006
      >however that Doug has stopped offering the BLT cases seperately.Perhaps,
      you could convince him to change
      >his mind?.....

      Err, bummer. I love the size and shape of the BLT case. Might have to
      rethink how to package this thing. Oh well, one problem at a time, gotta
      make it work first...

      72,
      Steve, KD1JV
      "Melt Solder"
      White Mountains of New Hampshire
      http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
      http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
    • w9ya@arrl.net
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 25, 2006
        How about using TWO altoid cases stacked on top of one another like the
        NoGA Wattmeter ?

        Vy 72;

        Bob
        w9ya

        >>however that Doug has stopped offering the BLT cases
        >> seperately.Perhaps,
        > you could convince him to change
        >>his mind?.....
        >
        > Err, bummer. I love the size and shape of the BLT case. Might have to
        > rethink how to package this thing. Oh well, one problem at a time, gotta
        > make it work first...
        >

        > 72,
        > Steve, KD1JV
        > "Melt Solder"
      • Ann
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 26, 2006
          Steve.....
          YES YES YES...Please count me in!!!!
          Sounds VERY neat!!!!! Forget Prada, Versace, Dior and
          Lauren...this YL has more fun with KD1JV designs!!!!
          Thanks for being so far ahead of your time and being such a
          genius!!!
          I'm in!!!
          72 es 88
          Ann
          AB1DR

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

          > ATS Gang-
          >
          > I've just started work on a new accessory for base station use of
          the ATS
          > rigs. A lot of you have been asking for a digital frequency readout
          for the
          > rig. I figured if we're gonna do that, might as well throw a few other
          > handy things into it as well. So, it combines a frequency counter, a
          > power/SWR meter, an audio amp, a 6 to11 volt variable voltage
          regulator and
          > fits into a NorCal BLT box.
          >
          > I hope to have the prototype up and running in a few days. Then I'll
          figure
          > out what it will have to sell for. If everything goes well and there
          are no
          > back ordered parts, could have these ready for sale by the end of
          November.
          > Sound like something you'd all like to have?
          >

          > 72,
          > Steve, KD1JV
          > "Melt Solder"
          > White Mountains of New Hampshire
          > http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
          > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

        • aarhus_ca
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 26, 2006
            Hi Steve

            Just to make sure that you DO understand that there is pent-up demand :-)

            I'm in

            John VE3NFK

            PS - it is an awesome little radio with the SteppIR antenna:
            DL6TQ 400W VE3NFK 3W plus others

            > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weber <kd1jv@> wrote:
            > >
            > > ATS Gang-
            > >
            > > I've just started work on a new accessory for base station use of
            > the ATS
            > > rigs. A lot of you have been asking for a digital frequency readout
            > for the
            > > rig. I figured if we're gonna do that, might as well throw a few other
            > > handy things into it as well. So, it combines a frequency counter, a
            > > power/SWR meter, an audio amp, a 6 to11 volt variable voltage
            > regulator and
            > > fits into a NorCal BLT box.
            > >
            > > I hope to have the prototype up and running in a few days. Then I'll
            > figure
            > > out what it will have to sell for. If everything goes well and there
            > are no
            > > back ordered parts, could have these ready for sale by the end of
            > November.
            > > Sound like something you'd all like to have?
            > >

            > > 72,
            > > Steve, KD1JV
            > > "Melt Solder"
            > > White Mountains of New Hampshire
            > > http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
            > > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

          • Gil Stacy
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 26, 2006
              Steve,
              I'm sure you are aware that Ten Tec has a wide range of sizes and finish of enclosures--Dave Benson has used them in his kits.

              73, Gil NN4CW
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
                >How about using TWO altoid cases stacked on top of one another like the
                >NoGA Wattmeter ?

                That crossed my mind, but there would be some tricky mechanical issues
                doing that. I wish they still made those little 1/4" led displays they used
                to use in early calculators!

                It looks like the BUD "converta boxes" will do the trick. The smallest is
                3" X 4" X 1.5", about the same size as the BLT case, but an inch longer or
                wider, depending on how you look at it. And I could really use that extra
                inch. They also come in larger sizes, if someone wanted to put more stuff
                into the same box.

                72,
                Steve, KD1JV
                "Melt Solder"
                White Mountains of New Hampshire
                http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/
                http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
              • Mark Brueggemann
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
                  --- Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                  > I wish they still made those little 1/4" led displays
                  > they used to use in early calculators!

                  You can get 7mm (~.3"), 7 segment LED's from Digi-Key
                  e.g: LTD-2701G-ND

                  Mark K5LXP
                  Albuquerque, NM
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
                    >> I wish they still made those little 1/4" led displays
                    >> they used to use in early calculators!
                    >
                    >You can get 7mm (~.3"), 7 segment LED's from Digi-Key
                    >e.g: LTD-2701G-ND

                    Yeah, but I belive thier in a .5" high and .4" wide package. No space
                    savings there. I'd like to find the kind where four digits fit into a 14
                    pin DIP socket and have the maginfying lens on them.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
                      --- Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                      > Yeah, but I belive thier in a .5" high and .4" wide package.

                      You're right.

                      > I'd like to find the kind where four digits fit into a
                      > 14 pin DIP socket and have the maginfying lens on them.

                      I remember those. Come to think of it, it has been a long time
                      since I've seen a small segmented LED display.

                      Mark K5LXP
                      Albuquerque, NM
                    • Petr Ourednik
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 23, 2006
                        Hi Steve,

                        can You share which status is currently with the base station
                        accessories kit for ATS-3A please as I am very interested in and You
                        can be sure that it seems to be my xmas gift...

                        Which casing You decided to use finally please? Is the PCB same size
                        as ATS? It should be great to be able to stacking with current ATS
                        pcb. Bad idea?

                        What about the mini autotuner builded in he accessory kit? If is
                        already builded SWR meter??? Should be last one which highly missing
                        for backpacking and its finaly best rig for me at all...

                        regards, 73 Petr OK1RP

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 23, 2006
                          Petr, etal,

                          >can You share which status is currently with the base station
                          >accessories kit for ATS-3A please as I am very interested in and You
                          >can be sure that it seems to be my xmas gift...

                          I'm still waiting for the circuit boards and a couple of parts to arrive. I
                          know the parts are in transit and hope the boards are too.

                          >Which casing You decided to use finally please? Is the PCB same size
                          >as ATS? It should be great to be able to stacking with current ATS
                          >pcb. Bad idea?

                          The assembled unit is 2.5" wide, 3.5" long and 1.5" tall. (6.35 cm X 8.89
                          cm X 3.81 cm) So, its a little too big to fit into an Altoids tin. Even if
                          I had used all SMT parts, or more than I did, I don't think I could have
                          fit it into an Altoids tin anyway. And since this is a base station
                          accessory, saw no need to try.

                          >What about the mini autotuner builded in he accessory kit?

                          I don't think I could do an autotuner any smaller or less expensive than
                          the Elecraft T1. For camping, I'd much rather a simple L tuner for 1/2 wave
                          wire. Its simpler, smaller, lighter, more reliable and doesn't need power.