Re: QBSA !!!!

  • kc7fys
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
      I am not new to the group, but about half as 'old' to the group as
      many. It is my understanding that the ATS series and other of KD1JV
      designs are ephemeral projects, not meant to be permanently available.
      This is just the nature of all/most of his designs--and part of the
      allure of them. It's just the way these projects are, no? The QRP Base
      Station Accessory is in keeping with this, and was available in a
      small run only. This is also the case with other designs in the family
      of projects.
      Jonathan KC7FYS

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Dewey (Aden) Carver" <aden58@...>
      wrote:

      > Why is it that no one will say why the QBSA is not available anymore?
      > VE7NSD--Stephen and I (NOFEX) Dewey Carver would sure like to know.
      > Thanks Dewey

    • kc7fys
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
        And although I am not qualified to take the lead in something like
        this--I have a fair idea that Steve is not averse to people using his
        ideas within reason, expanding on them, departing from them, and maybe
        making up another run of some other kit similar. Proof of that is the
        mods that Vojtech did--what I called the 'ATS3VB' or something like
        that (which several have commented they'd like to see emerge), freq.
        counter mods numerous upgrades done by JN1GLB (including his Altoids
        PA, which is basically 'open source' at this point in the files section).
        It's evolving.
        Jonathan KC7FYS

        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, john <johnmb@...> wrote:

        > The designer and kitter is a One Man Band, and I suspect that he
        doesn't
        > want to have his cash tied up for years when he releases a product. He
        > announces the kit quantity, he typically gets a flood of orders, and
        then
        > he does something different (or in the rare case, re-kits again).
        >
        > Pretty smart really.
        >
        > John k5MO
        >

        > At 12:42 AM 2/9/2009, you wrote:
        > >Why is it that no one will say why the QBSA is not available anymore?
        > >VE7NSD--Stephen and I (NOFEX) Dewey Carver would sure like to know.
        > > Thanks Dewey

      • john
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009

          At 12:42 AM 2/9/2009, you wrote:
          >Why is it that no one will say why the QBSA is not available anymore?
          >VE7NSD--Stephen and I (NOFEX) Dewey Carver would sure like to know.
          > Thanks Dewey

        • Hank Greeb
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
            Dewey:

            As other have so eloquently said. in several different ways, - Steven
            Weber, KD1JV, is "one of a kind" who designs high quality rigs, finances
            a limited run of kits (or two, sometimes three), and essentially "gives
            away" his kits with very little markup. I personally am appreciative
            with whatever he designs - though to date I have only bought one rig
            designed by him, and haven't built one of his kits.

            If one were to buy all the parts for a ATS-3-b for example, in single
            quantity lots, it would cost you almost as much, if not more, than the
            kit which he provided.

            72/73 de n8xx Hg

            Dewey (Aden) Carver wrote:
            > Why is it that no one will say why the QBSA is not available anymore? VE7NSD--Stephen and I (NOFEX) Dewey Carver would sure like to know.
            > Thanks Dewey
          • Jim Fraser
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2009
              Perhaps with so many copies of the 3B having been kitted and sold,
              Steve may consider running one more batch of the QBSA sometime. One can
              only hope. I was fortunate to get one in the Fall of 2007. I had
              recalled Steve mentioning in a post in the group that there were only
              30 left or something to that nature, so I decided to go ahead and order
              one.

              Jim K6JF
            • qwasty
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2009
                What I'd like to know is why Kenwood or Icom doesn't procure these
                designs for a competitor to Yaesu's FT-817ND. Seems like it'd be
                cheaper to buy it from KD1JV than to engineer from scratch. Then,
                with their manufacturing capability, everyone could play get one.

                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "kc7fys" <kc7fys@...> wrote:

                > And although I am not qualified to take the lead in something like
                > this--I have a fair idea that Steve is not averse to people using
                his
                > ideas within reason, expanding on them, departing from them, and
                maybe
                > making up another run of some other kit similar. Proof of that is
                the
                > mods that Vojtech did--what I called the 'ATS3VB' or something like
                > that (which several have commented they'd like to see emerge), freq.
                > counter mods numerous upgrades done by JN1GLB (including his Altoids
                > PA, which is basically 'open source' at this point in the files
                section).
                > It's evolving.
                > Jonathan KC7FYS
                >

                > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, john <johnmb@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The designer and kitter is a One Man Band, and I suspect that he
                > doesn't
                > > want to have his cash tied up for years when he releases a
                product. He
                > > announces the kit quantity, he typically gets a flood of orders,
                and
                > then
                > > he does something different (or in the rare case, re-kits again).
                > >
                > > Pretty smart really.
                > >
                > > John k5MO
                > >

                > > At 12:42 AM 2/9/2009, you wrote:
                > > >Why is it that no one will say why the QBSA is not available
                anymore?
                > > >VE7NSD--Stephen and I (NOFEX) Dewey Carver would sure like to
                know.
                > > > Thanks Dewey

              • Jim Fraser
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17, 2009
                  Has anyone found a way to stop the right-most digit from flickering in
                  the QBSA frequency display?

                  Jim K6JF