DH3BEA demonstrates his progress with PSK31/iPAQ/3B/Pocketdigi/KD1JV firmware

  • kc7fys
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      I just gave a fillip to DH3BEA, who had posted a short video on
      YouTube of him receiving PSK 31 with PocketDigi on the 3B. He then
      posted a pretty step by-step basic rundown of how to use this mode for
      a relative novice like myself. If those of you hip to YouTube could
      stop in and add your comments to his video, suggestions, that would be
      very helpful. I currently have the KD1JV firmware NOT installed on
      mine, but will reinstall it if I can get operational on PSK31. Anyway,
      just a heads-up for this fine video and explanation on YouTube.
      73,
      Jonathan
      Video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDdJ3iJ8STU
    • gi0xac
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "kc7fys" <kc7fys@...> wrote:

        > I just gave a fillip to DH3BEA, who had posted a short video on
        > YouTube of him receiving PSK 31 with PocketDigi on the 3B. He then
        > posted a pretty step by-step basic rundown of how to use this mode for
        > a relative novice like myself. If those of you hip to YouTube could
        > stop in and add your comments to his video, suggestions, that would be
        > very helpful. I currently have the KD1JV firmware NOT installed on
        > mine, but will reinstall it if I can get operational on PSK31. Anyway,
        > just a heads-up for this fine video and explanation on YouTube.
        > 73,
        > Jonathan
        > Video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDdJ3iJ8STU

        Great video. I got my ATS3B working with pocketdigi on my old Dell
        Axim X5 last year and as it happened I was going on holiday to the
        Canary Islands in Spain so I took the rig along with me. Although I
        was able to receive PSK31 stations I failed to make any QSOs and like
        DH3BEA it may have something to do with the offset settings.
        I've just got W1HKJ's FLdigi (linux version) working on my Asus EEE PC
        701 and have just completed making an interface connection (PSK31
        interface kit from Spectrum) between the EEE PC and the ATS3B. Only
        problem is I'm not sure as to the connection at the ATS end. Has
        anyone got PSK31 runing sucessfully on the ATS / EEE PC combination?
      • Vojtěch Bubník
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
          > Great video. I got my ATS3B working with pocketdigi on my old Dell
          > Axim X5 last year and as it happened I was going on holiday to the
          > Canary Islands in Spain so I took the rig along with me. Although I
          > was able to receive PSK31 stations I failed to make any QSOs and like
          > DH3BEA it may have something to do with the offset settings.

          It seems there is a great confusion in setting the offset right and I admit it is not easy even for me. I am doing following trick:

          1) Get a steady carrier in ATS-3b band pass. It may be something as simple as a 3.580 color burst crystal oscillator, another transceiver transmitting into dummy load, or WWV (I am not sure whether ATS-3b will transmit at WWV frequency though, but in the future it makes sense to add a digital calibrate mode into ATS firmware using WWV). Tune ATS so the beat is somewhere around 600Hz.

          2) Get another receiver, tune the carrier.

          3) In PocketDigi, select widest waterfall settings and align the arrow with the carrier as precise as possible. Activate Tune in PocketDigi and listen to the other receiver. You will hear two tones.

          4) Go to PocketDigi TRX settings, try to increase or decrease the offset value. As the guy from YouTube found out, there is a bug and one needs to enter decimal point. Close the dialog and activate Tune.

          The goal is to get the carrier generated by ATS aligned with the other carrier. One shall be able to reach precision of about 0.5Hz. One shall hear beat with sound amplitude minimums repeated no faster than once per second.

          > I've just got W1HKJ's FLdigi (linux version) working on my Asus EEE PC
          > 701 and have just completed making an interface connection (PSK31
          > interface kit from Spectrum) between the EEE PC and the ATS3B. Only
          > problem is I'm not sure as to the connection at the ATS end.

          I don't think there is anything special about earphone output of EEE. You may use the same cable you use with your Pocket PC. You do not need all the resistors, only the 47k one is necessary. But the other resistors will not do any harm.

          73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA
        • gi0xac
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
            Hmm, sounds a bit complicated! Will give it a try,
            Thanks, Vojtech.
          • J. Haynes
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
              Oh, yes. It's highly complicated!
            • Vojtěch Bubník
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
                > Hmm, sounds a bit complicated!

                While the procedure I described in my last posting certainly works, it is most probably an overkill. With the procedure described one measures the CW RX/TX offset exactly. But the CW RX/TX offset is really set during transceiver calibration. You could go into ATS-3b's IF offset calibration mode, set the IF offset and measure the final audio frequency (somwhere around 600Hz) with precision better than 1Hz. This will be the value to be entered into PocketDigi TRX calibration screen.

                I believe there are PC sound card freewares available to measure sound frequency. Just make sure that the sound card you use has reasonable precision. My laptop's sound card's clock is about 1.5% off.

                Please let us know whether it worked for you. If it works, it would be great, if Steve puts it into the next manual release.

                73, Vojtech OK1IAK