Re: [AT_Sprint] wanted: altoids tin

  • Charles Moizeau
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 22, 2009
      Benny,

      Altoids tins are widely available in the country of their manufacture, the UK.

      The internal measurements of an Altoids tin are: 91 x 56 x 19 mm.

      You would also be wise to look closer to home and consider Bonbons Napoléon, manufactured by Bonbons Napoléon NV., Boomsesteenweg 28, B-2627 SCHELLE.

      These measure 106 x 78 x 24 mm.  Although larger than the Altoids tins, their advantage is that they are constructed of heavier gauge steel.  Thus, they are less likely to be dented by the typical conditions experienced when a piece of equipment is transported about a great deal.

      A possible disadvantage is that the Bonbons Napoléon are not hinged.  However, they could be altered by carefully punching the cover with a sharp wood chisel to make two slots, then punching the bottom to make two tabs that align with the slots on the cover.  Finally the two tabs are bent to wrap around the circular bead that goes around the cover’s entire perimeter.  Just copy the construction of an Altoids or similar tin.

      72,

      Charles, W2SH

      P.S. Bonbons Napoléon are, or used to be, marketed in the US by Sterling Candy, Inc. of Hicksville, NY.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2009
        I found some nice tins in Italy a few years ago, made by AMARELLI
        (http://www.amarelli.it) The 40g tin is identical in dimensions to
        the classic Altoids.
        -- Bill, AB1AV

        On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Benny ON7BNY <on7bny@...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I seem to need some advice on a suitable enclosure. I've been looking
        > around in several supermarkets, for several months, to find an altoids
        > tin for my ATS. Unfortunately, none found yet. (doesn't seem to be very
        > common over here)
        > Does someone have knowledge of a suitable european replacement?
        > (as similar as possible, I want it to look as "KD1JV-genuine" as
        > possible :-)
        > All comments/hints welcome!
        >
        > tnx & br,
        >
        > Benny.

      • Jim Fraser
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2009
          You can get generic unpainted tins of the Altoids size at Specialty
          Bottle. I have ordered some from this company and there is no minimum
          order requirement. Check it out:

          http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=332

          Jim K6JF
        • Rob Locher W7GH
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2009
            Hello Benny,

            I have a genuine Altoids tin that I would be happy to send you. Would you
            like it?

            73,
            - Rob W7GH

            On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 03:20:56 -0800, Benny ON7BNY <on7bny@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I seem to need some advice on a suitable enclosure. I've been looking
            > around in several supermarkets, for several months, to find an altoids
            > tin for my ATS. Unfortunately, none found yet. (doesn't seem to be very
            > common over here)
            > Does someone have knowledge of a suitable european replacement?
            > (as similar as possible, I want it to look as "KD1JV-genuine" as
            > possible :-)
            > All comments/hints welcome!
            >
            > tnx & br,
            >
            > Benny.

          • Benny ON7BNY
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
              Hi again,

              tnx to all for the offers & hints, that was very nice!!
              I seem to have plenty of sources for tins now :-)
              To all US replies, despite of all the kind offers to send me tins,
              I've received an offer from someone who's located realy close
              (Germany), I'm going to try that way first.
              Again txn to all !! It's realy appreciated...

              Best regards, 73s,

              Benny
              on7bny