Simple Digital Interface not working on iPAQ 2210

  • Andreas Burkart
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      Folks,

      I finished my ATS - 3B a little while ago and built the simple
      interface cable to connect it to my IPaq 2210. While the PocketDigi
      on the Ipaq works flawlessly with the built in microphone attached
      to the ATS3-B head phones or my Kenwood TH6 loudspeaker, it simply
      does not work with the simple digital interface cable in digital
      mode. I modified the cable and took out the two 1K resistors on the
      PC side and tried the iPAQ and my laptop --> unsucessfully.

      It seems that two things are happening here:

      1. When I attach the cable to the ATS-3B , the ATS-3B picks up noise
      from the IPAQ ( it gets worse, when the power adapter is connected
      to ththe iPAQ)

      2. It seems that the two 1K resistors are not switching off the
      internal microphone of the iPAQ, and ambient noise is being picked
      up ( pencil drop etc. )

      3. There is only noise on the waterfall screen but no clear line
      even with strong CW signal in the head phone

      I exhausted all possible settings on IPAQ and Pocketdigi.

      I selected the iPAQ 2210 because of the built in microphone and 3.5
      mm audio input.

      I wonder if you could help me further trouble shooting.

      Would the sound card interface cable work better ?

      P.S. the CAT function worked for a little while but stopped
      altogether.

      73
      Andreas Burkart
      kg4pyp
    • Stephen Wandling
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
        Andreas,

        To check the simple things first, are you putting the ATS3B into Digital
        Mode before connecting the cable?

        72
        Stephen
        VE7NSD

        Andreas Burkart wrote:
        > Folks,
        >
        > I finished my ATS - 3B a little while ago and built the simple
        > interface cable to connect it to my IPaq 2210. While the PocketDigi
        > on the Ipaq works flawlessly with the built in microphone attached
        > to the ATS3-B head phones or my Kenwood TH6 loudspeaker, it simply
        > does not work with the simple digital interface cable in digital
        > mode. I modified the cable and took out the two 1K resistors on the
        > PC side and tried the iPAQ and my laptop --> unsucessfully.
        >
        > It seems that two things are happening here:
        >
        > 1. When I attach the cable to the ATS-3B , the ATS-3B picks up noise
        > from the IPAQ ( it gets worse, when the power adapter is connected
        > to ththe iPAQ)
        >
        > 2. It seems that the two 1K resistors are not switching off the
        > internal microphone of the iPAQ, and ambient noise is being picked
        > up ( pencil drop etc. )
        >
        > 3. There is only noise on the waterfall screen but no clear line
        > even with strong CW signal in the head phone
        >
        > I exhausted all possible settings on IPAQ and Pocketdigi.
        >
        > I selected the iPAQ 2210 because of the built in microphone and 3.5
        > mm audio input.
        >
        > I wonder if you could help me further trouble shooting.
        >
        > Would the sound card interface cable work better ?
        >
        > P.S. the CAT function worked for a little while but stopped
        > altogether.
        >
        > 73
        > Andreas Burkart
        > kg4pyp

        "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
        To change something, build a new model that makes the
        existing model obsolete." -- Buckminster Fuller

        "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they
        fight you, then you win" -- Gandhi
      • Andreas Burkart
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hi Stephen,

          I made sure that the ATS3B is in digital mode before connecting it.

          72
          Andreas
          kg4pyp

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wandling <swandling@...>
          wrote:

          > Andreas,
          >
          > To check the simple things first, are you putting the ATS3B into
          Digital
          > Mode before connecting the cable?
          >
          > 72
          > Stephen
          > VE7NSD
          >
          > Andreas Burkart wrote:
          > > Folks,
          > >
          > > I finished my ATS - 3B a little while ago and built the simple
          > > interface cable to connect it to my IPaq 2210. While the
          PocketDigi
          > > on the Ipaq works flawlessly with the built in microphone
          attached
          > > to the ATS3-B head phones or my Kenwood TH6 loudspeaker, it
          simply
          > > does not work with the simple digital interface cable in digital
          > > mode. I modified the cable and took out the two 1K resistors on
          the
          > > PC side and tried the iPAQ and my laptop --> unsucessfully.
          > >
          > > It seems that two things are happening here:
          > >
          > > 1. When I attach the cable to the ATS-3B , the ATS-3B picks up
          noise
          > > from the IPAQ ( it gets worse, when the power adapter is
          connected
          > > to ththe iPAQ)
          > >
          > > 2. It seems that the two 1K resistors are not switching off the
          > > internal microphone of the iPAQ, and ambient noise is being
          picked
          > > up ( pencil drop etc. )
          > >
          > > 3. There is only noise on the waterfall screen but no clear line
          > > even with strong CW signal in the head phone
          > >
          > > I exhausted all possible settings on IPAQ and Pocketdigi.
          > >
          > > I selected the iPAQ 2210 because of the built in microphone and
          3.5
          > > mm audio input.
          > >
          > > I wonder if you could help me further trouble shooting.
          > >
          > > Would the sound card interface cable work better ?
          > >
          > > P.S. the CAT function worked for a little while but stopped
          > > altogether.
          > >
          > > 73
          > > Andreas Burkart
          > > kg4pyp

          > --
          > "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
          > To change something, build a new model that makes the
          > existing model obsolete." -- Buckminster Fuller
          >
          > "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they
          > fight you, then you win" -- Gandhi

        • Vojtěch Bubník
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hi Andreas.

            > 1. When I attach the cable to the ATS-3B , the ATS-3B picks up noise
            > from the IPAQ ( it gets worse, when the power adapter is connected
            > to ththe iPAQ)

            I do not wonder that ATS is picking noise from the switched power supply. Run it on internal battery.

            > P.S. the CAT function worked for a little while but stopped
            > altogether.

            The simple interface requires quite high amplitude from your iPaq. You will have to crank up sound volume to maximum or nearly maximum. Try to experiment. It may happen, that the amplitude from your iPaq is just on the threshold to trigger the schmitt inputs in ATS. You may confirm it by trying to connect ATS through the simple interface to your PC. Also do not forget to switch off sound notifications on your iPaq, otherwise they will interfere with the data sent over the simple interface.

            73, Vojtech OK1IAK
          • Andreas Burkart
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hi Stephen,

              thx for yoru feedback. yes I did of of course.

              I wonder if I should build the more complicated interface !

              72

              Andreas
              kg4pyp

              Andreas Burkart wrote:
              > Folks,
              >
              > I finished my ATS - 3B a little while ago and built the simple
              > interface cable to connect it to my IPaq 2210. While the PocketDigi
              > on the Ipaq works flawlessly with the built in microphone attached
              > to the ATS3-B head phones or my Kenwood TH6 loudspeaker, it simply
              > does not work with the simple digital interface cable in digital
              > mode. I modified the cable and took out the two 1K resistors on the
              > PC side and tried the iPAQ and my laptop  --> unsucessfully.
              >
              > It seems that two things are happening here:
              >
              > 1. When I attach the cable to the ATS-3B , the ATS-3B picks up noise
              > from the IPAQ ( it gets worse, when the power adapter is connected
              > to ththe iPAQ)
              >
              > 2. It seems that the two 1K resistors are not switching off the
              > internal microphone of the iPAQ, and ambient noise is being picked
              > up ( pencil drop etc. )
              >
              > 3. There is only noise on the waterfall screen but no clear line
              > even with strong CW signal in the head phone
              >
              > I exhausted all possible settings on IPAQ and Pocketdigi.
              >
              > I selected the iPAQ 2210 because of the built in microphone and 3.5
              > mm audio input.
              >
              > I wonder if you could help me further trouble shooting.
              >
              > Would the sound card interface cable work better ?
              >
              > P.S. the CAT function worked for a little while but stopped
              > altogether.
              >
              > 73
              > Andreas Burkart
              > kg4pyp

              "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
              To change something, build a new model that makes the
              existing model obsolete." -- Buckminster Fuller

              "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they
              fight you, then you win" -- Gandhi

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:AT_Sprint-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:AT_Sprint-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Stephen Wandling
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
                Hi Andreas,

                I suspect that Vojtech's advice to you is probably the best, since he is
                the one who made digital mode possible on the ATS rigs. Can get the
                digital mode to work on a regular computer?

                72
                Stephen
                VE7NSD