Re: Processor noise in Rx (or not) - ATS3A ONLY

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
      > Only after corresponding with Dave over the last week or two did it
      > become noticable to me.

      Yeah, blame me. :)

      Since the mod, the noise has not returned for me either. In fact, the
      Rx seems generally quieter (or maybe it's my imagination), so I'm quite
      satisfied. I'm running out of things to poke around at in the rig.
      It's been a great help in learning how the thing works.

      Dave
    • camqrp
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmertz@...> wrote:

        > > Only after corresponding with Dave over the last week or two did it
        > > become noticable to me.
        >
        > Yeah, blame me. :)
        >
        > Since the mod, the noise has not returned for me either. In fact, the
        > Rx seems generally quieter (or maybe it's my imagination), so I'm quite
        > satisfied. I'm running out of things to poke around at in the rig.
        > It's been a great help in learning how the thing works.
        >
        > Dave

        So what's this noise sound like? Yeah, I'm running out of things to
        poke at, too.

        Cam N6GA
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
          Have the details on the "processor noise reduction mod" been finalized?
          Where are the details posted?

          Tnx,
          Steve
          aa8af

        • Michael Harnage
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
            A schematic fo rhte T/R switching is in the photo
            section under DL2HRP. Lutz had posted this regarding a
            different QSK scheme for the ATS3. Steve/KD1JV
            incorporated it into the ATS3A, but left out the
            resistor and capacitor on each line (mute and t/r).
            Turns out the solution to the "processor noise"
            appears to be to put the resistors and capacitors
            back. You can see where I did it by looking in the
            photo section under W1MT.

            I would say that if you don't hear the noise, then
            don't do the mod, as it involves scraping the mask on
            some traces and cutting traces that are mighty small.
            Not impossible, but not as easy as soldering smt. :)

            The noise sounds like static to me. I was watching on
            spectrogram one day and it just seems like a 10db
            increase in the noise floor at random times and
            durations.

            Hope this helps.

            -mike

            http://mail.yahoo.com