Re: Processor noise in Rx (or not) - ATS3A ONLY

  • w1mt
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 14, 2006
      NOTE: This is peculiar to the ATS3A only.

      Yes, this does seem to take care of the noise. I heard the noise as an
      increase in RF static, not beeps and boops of the processor. Could
      never get it to occur on demand but on the modified rig I have not
      heard it in 8 hours of listening on a dummy load so I am fairly well
      satisfied that it is gone. I have posted a pic of the mod in my folder
      (you can see the mute line and T/R line mods in the pic).

      Some may not notice the noise level rise at all. Only after
      corresponding with Dave over the last week or two did it become
      noticable to me.

      -mike/w1mt

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmertz@...> wrote:

      > At Mike's suggestion, I added a 10K resistor and 0.01uF cap to the
      > T/R signal going to the gate of Q1 as I had done for the Mute line
      > and as in Lutz's original version of this circuit and the noise seems
      > to be gone.
      >
      > Dave, WA3OFF

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
        > Only after corresponding with Dave over the last week or two did it
        > become noticable to me.

        Yeah, blame me. :)

        Since the mod, the noise has not returned for me either. In fact, the
        Rx seems generally quieter (or maybe it's my imagination), so I'm quite
        satisfied. I'm running out of things to poke around at in the rig.
        It's been a great help in learning how the thing works.

        Dave
      • camqrp
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmertz@...> wrote:

          > > Only after corresponding with Dave over the last week or two did it
          > > become noticable to me.
          >
          > Yeah, blame me. :)
          >
          > Since the mod, the noise has not returned for me either. In fact, the
          > Rx seems generally quieter (or maybe it's my imagination), so I'm quite
          > satisfied. I'm running out of things to poke around at in the rig.
          > It's been a great help in learning how the thing works.
          >
          > Dave

          So what's this noise sound like? Yeah, I'm running out of things to
          poke at, too.

          Cam N6GA
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
            Have the details on the "processor noise reduction mod" been finalized?
            Where are the details posted?

            Tnx,
            Steve
            aa8af

          • Michael Harnage
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
              A schematic fo rhte T/R switching is in the photo
              section under DL2HRP. Lutz had posted this regarding a
              different QSK scheme for the ATS3. Steve/KD1JV
              incorporated it into the ATS3A, but left out the
              resistor and capacitor on each line (mute and t/r).
              Turns out the solution to the "processor noise"
              appears to be to put the resistors and capacitors
              back. You can see where I did it by looking in the
              photo section under W1MT.

              I would say that if you don't hear the noise, then
              don't do the mod, as it involves scraping the mask on
              some traces and cutting traces that are mighty small.
              Not impossible, but not as easy as soldering smt. :)

              The noise sounds like static to me. I was watching on
              spectrogram one day and it just seems like a 10db
              increase in the noise floor at random times and
              durations.

              Hope this helps.

              -mike

              http://mail.yahoo.com