Re: Troubleshooting Reset State

  • kc7fys
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Vojtìch Bubník <bubnikv@...> wrote:
      If you want to measure resistance of IO pin against ground, connect -
      electrode to GND. If you want to measure R43, connect - electrode to
      pin 7 of the controller.

      > Hope it makes sense.

      Thanks, Grant and Vojtìch,
      R43, by that method shows a reading of 47K on my cheap VOM.
      I went over and touched up solder joints that I could with my
      fine-tipped iron. I also replaced U11 and Q5 with hot air, which
      worked pretty well.

      Shorting across R43 gives me 3V at pin 7.

      Perhaps this is useless information, but the InCircuit Programming
      Connector resistances to ground are:
      1-0 ohms
      2- 112 ohms
      3- infinity
      4-7 45 ohms

      I gave the board a thorough cleaning with YaniClean, a Japanese
      defluxer spray. I also gave it a gentle twist as per Steve's tip in
      the manual. The only consistent thing has been the ".8" on the
      display. If I had spare parts I could have easily swapped them out
      one-by-one by now. Desoldering and resoldering has been a snap with
      hot air so far.

      Looks like it's time to watch me some TV!

      A basic question about the U6 MPU and the formative process: is it
      programmed, then the firmware flashed after that? Or is the firmware
      the only changeable part of the chip's function? So, if I were to get
      that same chip--and it turns out that it's indeed my problem, could I
      swap them and then be able to load up the firmware and um... be in
      business?

      I'm guessing that's not the case, and Steve does initial programming
      of U6.

      The voice of a troubleshooter at the end of the line is always so
      pitiful. No paper is quite light enough to be held down by the
      ATS3--so it makes a lousy paperweight; what are the options?
      Thanks for your guidance,
      Jonathan KC7FYS
    • Michael Harnage
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        You should be able to replace the chip and then flash it in circuit. Doesn't have to be flashed before putting it in circuit.

        This problem has been very intriguing and unusual ...

        -mike/w1mt

        --- On Wed, 10/1/08, kc7fys <kc7fys@...> wrote:

        > A basic question about the U6 MPU and the formative
        > process: is it
        > programmed, then the firmware flashed after that? Or is the
        > firmware
        > the only changeable part of the chip's function? So, if
        > I were to get
        > that same chip--and it turns out that it's indeed my
        > problem, could I
        > swap them and then be able to load up the firmware and
        > um... be in
        > business?

      • kc7fys
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          Then it'll be fun to swap them out and see if indeed that does it. I
          had the rig on beacon mode, and was listening between CQs for a
          responder. It had been running about 5-10 minutes into a load that I
          didn't realize was 1.8-1.9:1 SWR. The ground is very poor here, too,
          on the 4th floor. I don't know if there was enough stray RF or
          whatever that might have caused this--but the likelihood of solder
          bridges, intermittents, broken parts--is all extremely low given that
          the rig has been in the field and on the road and kind of 'broken in'
          gently. It was just sitting there untouched when it stopped workin'
          and lit up ".8"

          Beats me.
          Jonathan KC7FYS

          PS. The instructions for the firmware update don't usually match my
          actual experience using the program. Usually it's around the end when
          I get "hardware not found" errors and have to do multiple restarts and
          eventually something works right and it is loaded. Next time I flash
          the firmware in, I'll notate these more specifically. (Using Win98)