RE: [AT_Sprint] ATS-3B Builder in St. Louis?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
      Congrats Dave, you will have a blast... wish we were closer.
      or gas was lower. maybe help can be as close as this list... there are some fellows here
      that are mighty experienced with them. All you need to do is ask... and yes it is a whole lotta fun.
      Good Luck,

      --... ...--
      Dale - WC7S in Wy

      To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
      From: dgauding@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 04:57:38 +0000
      Subject: [AT_Sprint] ATS-3B Builder in St. Louis?

      I about to send my check off to KD1JV for an ATS-3B.

      Wondering if there is an ATS-3B builder or operator in the St. Louis,
      MO area available to share experiences, provide guidance, etc.?

      All of my scratchbuilt and kit projects have been thru-hole so SMT is
      scary. It's probably one reason why I have waited so long - and
      hopefully not too long - to order a kit.

      I'm recently retired so now have the time to build and run portable at
      a more relaxed pace. It's gonna' be fun! <g>

      Thanks,

      Dave, NF0R

      Time for vacation? WIN what you need. Enter Now!
    • Randal
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
        Dave you're going to love your Bee AND you're going to enjoy BUILDING
        it. SMT construction, you will find, is perhaps the easiest thing that
        you have tackled lately. This great "mystery" about SMT and the
        resulting fear is just bunk. Get yourself (if you don't already have)
        a good SMT soldering station and a good set of binocular magnifiers
        (visor). Read as much as you can stand about SMT technique (Goggle),
        practice by un-soldering odd ball components from a junk box pcb like
        a PC modem board or the like.

        Getting to the adequate stage will take you a couple of attempts with
        the junk board from there it is just like getting to Carnegie Hall
        practice, practice, practice.

        You CAN build it your self and there are a bunch of folks here to
        provide support should you need it. Download and read the manual a few
        times to acquaint yourself with the rig while your waiting for it. You
        will find that the manual is pretty darn good. If you follow the
        script you will do just fine.

        Go for it.

        73,
        Ran - W1IN

        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "David Gauding" <dgauding@...> wrote:

        > I about to send my check off to KD1JV for an ATS-3B.
        >
        > Wondering if there is an ATS-3B builder or operator in the St. Louis,
        > MO area available to share experiences, provide guidance, etc.?
        >
        > All of my scratchbuilt and kit projects have been thru-hole so SMT is
        > scary. It's probably one reason why I have waited so long - and
        > hopefully not too long - to order a kit.
        >
        > I'm recently retired so now have the time to build and run portable at
        > a more relaxed pace. It's gonna' be fun! <g>
        >
        > Thanks,
        >

        > Dave, NF0R

      • Kurt Savegnago
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
          Steve is out of town for a hike according to the
          webpage so don't get concerned if you don't get an
          immediate response.

          He does repair work for Small Wonders Labs and he
          fixed my DSW-II. A small gob of solder was in between
          two of the legs of a 2N7000 transistor. Fixed it just
          fine.

          Only problem I had is I connected it up to a PAC-12
          and turned it on. It started to cycle up and went
          dead. I looked at horror and saw the tap fell off the
          tuning coil! Man am I depressed. It worked so well
          into the dummy when I got it back from him.

          Waiting for him to come back and see if I can send it
          back for him to resurrect. My fault.

          Kurt KC9LDH