Re: SSB reception

  • w1mt
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
      I think I should clarify. :)

      Only if you bypass the IF filter and tune the SSB signal so that you
      can hear it clearly will the offsets given below work. 40M is the
      special case. If you can hear the SSB signal on 40M in the IF passband
      of the ATS rig, your transmit freq will be OK for the other station to
      hear you. (By changing the firmware one can make 80M do this as well.)

      I really should have combined Solution 1 + Solution 2 below. You can't
      do Solution 2 with out Solution 1 except on 40m.

      -mike/w1mt

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Harnage <w1mt@...> wrote:

      > Regarding SSB reception and cross mode operation with ATS rigs.
      >
      > The ATS3 does support cross mode operation and SSB reception. It did
      this by doing two things.

      > FIRST: It switched out the crystal filter providing for a wider
      bandwidth to allow listening more comfortably to SSB.

      > SECOND: It calculated where to transmit so that the SSB station
      could hear the signal.

      > Post ATS3 rigs don't have the capability to switch out the crystal
      filter and it's probably not a good idea to jumper them out as the
      impedance transitions (if that's a concept, hi hi) would be way out of
      whack. This is why the calculations to put the transmit on the correct
      freq while in wide mode no longer exist -- there is no wide mode.

      > Solution 1: One could add a wide mode that would do the calculations
      but not do the crystal bypassing. This would result in poor audio but
      cross mode would be possible.

      > Solution 2: Use xit mode (or split if using my f/w) and manually do
      the same thing as the calculations would do.