Programming ATS-3 on laptop with Windows XP

  • Vojtěch Bubník
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi gang.

      Nowadays notebooks with parallel port are increasingly hard to get. They are still manufactured, but they are about 30% more expensive than the ones that miss it. If you want a parallel port for programming ATS-3, there are following choices:

      1) PCMCIA card (if your laptop has a PCMCIA slot). These cards are real ISA parallel ports and will work perfect.

      2) ExpressCard is a modern replacement of PCMCIA. ExpressCard interface implements PCI bus and USB on the same connector. Be careful if buying a parallel ExpressCard. Most of them are USB variants, see 3). I bought EC1PECP from StarTech.com. They are pricey, about $90-100, but work great.

      3) Sure there are USB MPS430 programmers. The cheapest one will be probably from Olimex. It's price is comparable to ExpressCard parallel port:
      http://www.olimex.com/dev/msp-jtag-tiny.html

      4) Stock USB converter: There are USB parallel port converters manufactured, but they only implement printing protocol. They will not program ATS3.

      5) Homebrew USB converter.
      Henrik Haftmann created a free hardware design and windows driver for USB to parallel converter. The IAR studio is listed as compatible:
      http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/liste.htm.en
      Time to time he is building a batch and selling them. Ask him for availability if interested. The faster converters are still slower than any PCMCIA or ExpressCard, so if you have a PCMCIA or ExpressCard socket, the card is a way to go.

      Henrik designed one slow, but easy to reproduced construction with AVR microcontroller.
      http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/ul-15.htm.en
      I built this one. It worked on my Windows XP laptop, but not on Vista. It is VERY slow. Probably good enough, if you want to flash your ATS3 time to time, but not good for development.

      How to run IAR Embedded Workbench IDE on Windows Vista:

      You could download an IAR Embedded Workbench from the manufacturer: http://www.iar.com/
      The versions offered at IAR site for free have either time limitation, or 4kB program size limitation. I need a time unlimited development system and ATS-3B program is longer than 4kB. No way for me.

      Fortunately Mike has still the old version of IAR kickstart version on his web:
      http://w1mt.qrpradio.com/ats3.html
      Mike's old version is limited to assembler, but has no program size limitation. You need to run it in Administrator mode to be able to access parallel port.

      73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA