Another ATS3b is born

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2008
      I got my B working this week. It's not finished yet, but its good
      enough to put on the air. I only have the 40 and 20 meter band modules
      finished. I am really enjoying using the radio and find the receive is
      much better than I expected. I had the pleasure of building a KX1
      recently and the rx is just as good on my B. I am very pleased.

      I want to redo my altoids tin again. What is the secret to getting the
      board close enough to the edge, so the jacks protrude? I have been
      using a demel bit number 125 and it makes short work of cutting a tin.
      I ruined the first tin, I used the hole size in the manual for the 4
      screw holes which was 3/16ths. 3/16ths is larger than the screw heads.

      This was my fist time using the Cash Olsen method of soldering. When I
      first started the build, I didn't think my eyes would let me do it. It
      was rough, but I did it. The hot air method of soldering worked so
      well, my board looks like it was flowed by Kenwood. Made me wonder how
      many ATS kits get bought but never built.

      I do have one minor problem. My kit was the last one Steve mailed
      before he left. The 7th from the 3rd batch. Anyway, I am missing 2 -
      2.2pF ceramic disc capacitors. Is there a kind soul on the list that
      could mail me a couple to my QRZ address, please. I'll gladly pay by
      return mail.

      73, Bill NT9K
      http://www.nt9k.com
    • n0tu/Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2008
        On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Bill <Bill@...> wrote:
        > I got my B working this week. It's not finished yet, but its good
        > enough to put on the air. I only have the 40 and 20 meter band modules
        > finished. I am really enjoying using the radio and find the receive is
        > much better than I expected. I had the pleasure of building a KX1
        > recently and the rx is just as good on my B. I am very pleased.
        >
        > I want to redo my altoids tin again. What is the secret to getting the
        > board close enough to the edge, so the jacks protrude? I have been
        > using a demel bit number 125 and it makes short work of cutting a tin.
        > I ruined the first tin, I used the hole size in the manual for the 4
        > screw holes which was 3/16ths. 3/16ths is larger than the screw heads.
        >
        > This was my fist time using the Cash Olsen method of soldering. When I
        > first started the build, I didn't think my eyes would let me do it. It
        > was rough, but I did it. The hot air method of soldering worked so
        > well, my board looks like it was flowed by Kenwood. Made me wonder how
        > many ATS kits get bought but never built.
        >
        > I do have one minor problem. My kit was the last one Steve mailed
        > before he left. The 7th from the 3rd batch. Anyway, I am missing 2 -
        > 2.2pF ceramic disc capacitors. Is there a kind soul on the list that
        > could mail me a couple to my QRZ address, please. I'll gladly pay by
        > return mail.
        >
        > 73, Bill NT9K
        > http://www.nt9k.com

      • n0tu/Steve
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2008
          Push send before my brain was engaged? DOH!

          Let me go look for the caps.
          But I wanted to say WOW what cool key collection you have!!!
          Will advise on the caps ASAP. Steve/n0tu

          On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Bill <Bill@...> wrote:
          > I got my B working this week. It's not finished yet, but its good
          > enough to put on the air. I only have the 40 and 20 meter band modules
          > finished. I am really enjoying using the radio and find the receive is
          > much better than I expected. I had the pleasure of building a KX1
          > recently and the rx is just as good on my B. I am very pleased.
          >
          > I want to redo my altoids tin again. What is the secret to getting the
          > board close enough to the edge, so the jacks protrude? I have been
          > using a demel bit number 125 and it makes short work of cutting a tin.
          > I ruined the first tin, I used the hole size in the manual for the 4
          > screw holes which was 3/16ths. 3/16ths is larger than the screw heads.
          >
          > This was my fist time using the Cash Olsen method of soldering. When I
          > first started the build, I didn't think my eyes would let me do it. It
          > was rough, but I did it. The hot air method of soldering worked so
          > well, my board looks like it was flowed by Kenwood. Made me wonder how
          > many ATS kits get bought but never built.
          >
          > I do have one minor problem. My kit was the last one Steve mailed
          > before he left. The 7th from the 3rd batch. Anyway, I am missing 2 -
          > 2.2pF ceramic disc capacitors. Is there a kind soul on the list that
          > could mail me a couple to my QRZ address, please. I'll gladly pay by
          > return mail.
          >
          > 73, Bill NT9K
          > http://www.nt9k.com

        • hermit
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2008
            Just wanted to add that the proud recpient of that KX-1 is me. You
            see Bill is my Elmer who is a highly skilled builder so when I bought
            the KX-1 kit he was happy to build it for me.

            Bill, we need to try for a qso on these two builds.

            73

            Dick KB3OMJ

            >I got my B working this week. It's not finished yet, but its good
            >enough to put on the air. I only have the 40 and 20 meter band modules
            >finished. I am really enjoying using the radio and find the receive is
            >much better than I expected. I had the pleasure of building a KX1
            >recently and the rx is just as good on my B. I am very pleased.
            >
            >I want to redo my altoids tin again. What is the secret to getting the
            >board close enough to the edge, so the jacks protrude? I have been
            >using a demel bit number 125 and it makes short work of cutting a tin.
            >I ruined the first tin, I used the hole size in the manual for the 4
            >screw holes which was 3/16ths. 3/16ths is larger than the screw heads.
            >
            >This was my fist time using the Cash Olsen method of soldering. When I
            >first started the build, I didn't think my eyes would let me do it. It
            >was rough, but I did it. The hot air method of soldering worked so
            >well, my board looks like it was flowed by Kenwood. Made me wonder how
            >many ATS kits get bought but never built.
            >
            >I do have one minor problem. My kit was the last one Steve mailed
            >before he left. The 7th from the 3rd batch. Anyway, I am missing 2 -
            >2.2pF ceramic disc capacitors. Is there a kind soul on the list that
            >could mail me a couple to my QRZ address, please. I'll gladly pay by
            >return mail.
            >
            >73, Bill NT9K
            >http://www.nt9k.com
          • Steven Pituch
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2008
              Hi Bill,
              Also check to see if you have the two 15 pF caps as I had them also missing.
              Also I had two extra T37-2s and two fewer T30-2s. The T37-2s will work in a
              pinch but are a little big.

              Steve, W2MY
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                Thanks Steve, I was missing 3 - 2.2pF and 1 - 47pF ceramic disc
                capacitors. I got a few extra parts too. I was able to scrounge one
                2.2pF from an old vcr, but still need 2 more. I found the 47pF
                locally, but no joy with the 2.2's. So, I really just need 2 - 2.2pF's.

                Thanks for the comment on my keys. I never intended on collecting
                keys, but now find myself with a serious problem. I see a key that I
                like and I'm like a junkie on crack. I got to have it, if I can't buy
                it, I make it. I uploaded a more recent key lineup photo at the bottom
                of the page for you.

                Any comments on the secret to getting the PCB close enough to the edge
                that the jacks protrude from the altoids tin? I thought about taking
                the jacks off the board and then marking the 4 screw holes from inside
                with the board as far over as it will go?

                Before I close this, thank you Rich KB3OMJ for the kind words about my
                building skills. The truth is, lots of the guys on this list are WAY
                out of my league. My eyes are not what they once were and I don't have
                my test equipment any more. But thank you for the kind words.
                73, Bill NT9K
                http://www.nt9k.com

                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Pituch" <list2@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bill,
                > Also check to see if you have the two 15 pF caps as I had them also
                missing.
                > Also I had two extra T37-2s and two fewer T30-2s. The T37-2s will
                work in a
                > pinch but are a little big.
                >
                > Steve, W2MY

              • Steven Pituch
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                  HI Bill,
                  The two mounting screw holes closest the three jacks need to be "almost"
                  against the case. The board needs to be filed down "almost" to the two
                  metal standoffs. With this, the three jacks "almost" protrude.

                  I hope this "almost" helps you. ;)

                  Steve, W2MY
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                    No Luck Bill on the 2.2s ...I found the 2.2pFenvelope in my cap drawer
                    but she was empty! Sorry couldn't help?

                    On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Bill <Bill@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks Steve, I was missing 3 - 2.2pF and 1 - 47pF ceramic disc
                    > capacitors. I got a few extra parts too. I was able to scrounge one
                    > 2.2pF from an old vcr, but still need 2 more. I found the 47pF
                    > locally, but no joy with the 2.2's. So, I really just need 2 - 2.2pF's.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the comment on my keys. I never intended on collecting
                    > keys, but now find myself with a serious problem. I see a key that I
                    > like and I'm like a junkie on crack. I got to have it, if I can't buy
                    > it, I make it. I uploaded a more recent key lineup photo at the bottom
                    > of the page for you.
                    >
                    > Any comments on the secret to getting the PCB close enough to the edge
                    > that the jacks protrude from the altoids tin? I thought about taking
                    > the jacks off the board and then marking the 4 screw holes from inside
                    > with the board as far over as it will go?
                    >
                    > Before I close this, thank you Rich KB3OMJ for the kind words about my
                    > building skills. The truth is, lots of the guys on this list are WAY
                    > out of my league. My eyes are not what they once were and I don't have
                    > my test equipment any more. But thank you for the kind words.
                    >
                    > 73, Bill NT9K
                    > http://www.nt9k.com
                    >

                    > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Pituch" <list2@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Bill,
                    > > Also check to see if you have the two 15 pF caps as I had them also
                    > missing.
                    > > Also I had two extra T37-2s and two fewer T30-2s. The T37-2s will
                    > work in a
                    > > pinch but are a little big.
                    > >
                    > > Steve, W2MY

                  • Stephen Wandling
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                      Bill,

                      I just noticed your request and have before me an envelope with
                      10 2.2pF NPO caps that look identical to the ones in my kit. I
                      would be happy to send 2 of them to you. If your QRZ address I will
                      send them out to that. I sure appreciated it when Bill Noyce sent
                      some caps that were missing from my kit. Thanks for the
                      opportunity to return the favour.

                      72,
                      Stephen
                      VE7NSD

                      Bill wrote:

                      > Thanks Steve, I was missing 3 - 2.2pF and 1 - 47pF ceramic disc
                      > capacitors. I got a few extra parts too. I was able to scrounge one
                      > 2.2pF from an old vcr, but still need 2 more. I found the 47pF
                      > locally, but no joy with the 2.2's. So, I really just need 2 - 2.2pF's.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the comment on my keys. I never intended on collecting
                      > keys, but now find myself with a serious problem. I see a key that I
                      > like and I'm like a junkie on crack. I got to have it, if I can't buy
                      > it, I make it. I uploaded a more recent key lineup photo at the bottom
                      > of the page for you.
                      >
                      > Any comments on the secret to getting the PCB close enough to the edge
                      > that the jacks protrude from the altoids tin? I thought about taking
                      > the jacks off the board and then marking the 4 screw holes from inside
                      > with the board as far over as it will go?
                      >
                      > Before I close this, thank you Rich KB3OMJ for the kind words about my
                      > building skills. The truth is, lots of the guys on this list are WAY
                      > out of my league. My eyes are not what they once were and I don't have
                      > my test equipment any more. But thank you for the kind words.
                      > 73, Bill NT9K
                      > http://www.nt9k.com <http://www.nt9k.com>
                      >
                      > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AT_Sprint%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "Steven Pituch" <list2@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Bill,
                      > > Also check to see if you have the two 15 pF caps as I had them also
                      > missing.
                      > > Also I had two extra T37-2s and two fewer T30-2s. The T37-2s will
                      > work in a
                      > > pinch but are a little big.
                      > >
                      > > Steve, W2MY

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                        Thanks Stephen, and thanks to n0tu/Steve for trying to help me. Yes,
                        my QRZ info is good. I really appreciate you helping me! Bill NT9K..

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2008
                          Not a problem. I will soon have them winging their way to your
                          location.