ATS3 antenna connectors

  • ve3wmb
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 6:47 AM
      Another option besides RCA is to use a coaxial power jack/plug for the
      antenna connection.

      I think that this was Steve KD1JV's idea, that he either posted to
      this group or some other. I would just make sure that if you go this
      route to ensure that it significantly different in size from your
      actual power connector on the rig, as you might not want to plug the
      DC supply into the front end of the rig ;-). This reminds me of the
      Ten-Tec Argonault 509 which has RCAs on the back pretty much for
      everything and required much care when hooking it up in low light
      conditions for the above reasons.

      Cheers,

      Michael VE3WMB

      P.S. I have even thought about using TV cable F-type connectors but
      concluded that since the center-pin is actually the center conductor
      of the coax that this might not be a great a idea for a pack/field due
      to the fact that you could easily bend or damage it. I suppose one
      could keep the ends of the coax mated to a jack while in transit to
      prevent damage. Certainly these things are ubiquitous and cheap and
      decent quality ones are rated into the GHZ range.

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, J. Haynes <eggs.4.iggs@...> wrote:

      > Excellent precis.
      > RCAs (pin jacks here in JA) might be my next chapter. I've used BNCs
      mostly because they seem more 'radio-ey' but RCAs seem just simpler.