RE-Programming original ATS-3 to allow digital modes

  • mantermeadows
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
      Here's one I need help with. I'm very fond of my ATS-3 mostly because
      it will allow me to turn off the narrow band filter and have wide band
      receive. I understand that the 3A and 3B have lost this functionality.
      I would like to be able to interface my Pocket PC and have use of
      digital modes via PocketDigi but am hesitant to switch to a 3B. Do some
      of you programmers think that there is room in the ATS-3 controller
      memory to write the routine for digital interfacing by perhaps leaving
      out the calibraton routine? I don't have a grasp on how much memory is
      needed for the digital mode routine nor do I have the hardware and in-
      depth programming experience to attempt the procedure.

      In other words...can the digital mode be programmed into the ATS-3 and
      what would I have to lose to get it to fit in? Will the clock speed of
      the original ATS-3 controller handle the digital modes? Can anyone out
      there help with compliling and programming such a routine?

      Thanks.
      Gary - KC8UD
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 8, 2008
        There's not a whole lot of difference between the programs in the 3 and 3A,
        so adding the digital modes should be possible. And then it would work in
        the ATS-2 also. I supose it should be done, but I don't have the time to
        tackle it right now. Maybe after my hiking trip this spring.
        72,
        Steve, KD1JV
        "Melt Solder"
        White Mountains of New Hampshire
        http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
      • Vojtěch Bubník
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 9, 2008
          Hi Gerry.

          > Do some
          > of you programmers think that there is room in the ATS-3 controller
          > memory to write the routine for digital interfacing by perhaps leaving
          > out the calibraton routine?

          I already answered you this question. You will need to leave out calibration, DFE and probably some of following: Tune mode, Iambic B, Test message to check connection between PocketDigi and ATS3.

          You will need to download ATS-3a source from pocketdigi.sourceforge.net
          Enable/disable features you could miss by commenting out some defines. For example, to disable "morse paddle by up/down buttons", you need to change line
          #define HAS_STEALTH
          ; #define HAS_STEALTH
          The difference is the added semicolon at the start of the line.

          I would say, you need to modify following lines:

          enable wideband
          #define HAS_WIDEBAND

          disable the connection test message to leave some place for the wideband function
          ; #define HAS_UART_PLAY

          Enable extrnal paddle. My latest ATS-3b used touch paddle connected in parallel to up/down buttons.
          ; #define HAS_TUNEUP_ON_DIT
          #define HAS_EXTERNAL_PADDLE
          ; #define HAS_STEALTH

          > I don't have a grasp on how much memory is
          > needed for the digital mode routine

          Run the compiler and it will tell you whether the memory is full or not. If it is full, you will need to disable some other ATS3 feature.

          > Will the clock speed of
          > the original ATS-3 controller handle the digital modes?

          There are three clocks in ATS-3 series circuit:
          DDS clock
          32kHz watch clock
          R/C oscillator inside the microcontroller.

          You don't need to change the DDS clock constant in the source code, as it is only used during calibration. You have the correct value already in flash. The other clocks are the same between all ATS-3s.

          73, Vojtech OK1IAK
        • Vojtěch Bubník
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 9, 2008
            Hi Gerry,

            I forgott to stress two things regarding my ATS-3a digital firmware.

            I cannot guarantee that it will work for you. I may have introduce some new errors when I added keying by up/down buttons and disabled keying by external paddle. After I modified my ATS-3a hardware, I had no way to test the firmware on the original hardware. I also cannot guarantee that the wideband function will still work on your ATS-3, as I cannot test it on the hardware. You are on your own. In worst case, you will lose some time. You could always program back the original ATS-3 firmware.

            I know of one problem. The straight key does not work.

            73, Vojtech OK1IAK
          • Eric Engler
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 16, 2008
              --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Vojtìch Bubník <bubnikv@...> wrote:

              > > Do some
              > > of you programmers think that there is room in the ATS-3 controller
              > > memory to write the routine for digital interfacing by perhaps
              leaving
              > > out the calibraton routine?
              >
              > I already answered you this question. You will need to leave out
              calibration, DFE and probably some of following: Tune mode, Iambic B,
              Test message to check connection between PocketDigi and ATS3.

              I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this was already discussed,
              but how can a CW rig handle psk31 - I thought we need an SSB rig for that?

              Is there a special PC program that can bypass the need to the SSB
              circuitry? That would be great!

              Eric
            • Vojtěch Bubník
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 17, 2008
                Hi Eric.

                > I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this was already discussed,
                > but how can a CW rig handle psk31 - I thought we need an SSB rig for that?

                DDS used in ATS3 series allows instant changing of phase and frequency by a command word. You could very well modulate RTTY, MFSK16, Olivia modes just by sending frequency change commands to DDS. It is not that easy with PSK31/63. PSK31 has raised cosine amplitude envelope. The envelope has dual purpose: To eliminate keying clicks on phase change and to help with bit synchronization on RX side. The amplitude envelope is approximated by on/off CW keying on ATS-3a/b.

                > Is there a special PC program that can bypass the need to the SSB
                > circuitry? That would be great!

                There is no change in HW needed for digital modes. The only SW that could work with ATS-3a/b is PocketDigi. It generates command stream, that the ATS-3b microcontroller understands and translates to CW on/off keying and DDS commands.

                73, Vojtech OK1IAK
              • Eric Engler
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 17, 2008
                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Vojtìch Bubník <bubnikv@...> wrote:

                  > > Is there a special PC program that can bypass the need to the SSB
                  > > circuitry? That would be great!
                  >
                  > There is no change in HW needed for digital modes. The only SW that
                  could work with ATS-3a/b is PocketDigi.

                  Very interesting! Can I use that program on a laptop PC?
                • Vojtěch Bubník
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                    > > There is no change in HW needed for digital modes. The only SW that
                    > could work with ATS-3a/b is PocketDigi.
                    >
                    > Very interesting! Can I use that program on a laptop PC?

                    Yes, you could run PocketDigi on desktop or laptop with Windows 95 and newer, on Pocket PC 2002 and newer, on Handheld PC 2000 , on Smartphone with Windows Mobile 5 and newer. Port to Handheld PC Pro is on the way.

                    73, Vojtech OK1IAK
                  • Jim Fraser
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 26, 2008
                      Vojtech,

                      I don't know if you have any plans to do more work with Pocketdigi, but
                      if so, would you consider adding the mode JT65A? This past weekend I
                      worked a fellow in TX from CA and his last comment was "4W HB" (I was
                      running 50w). For a 4 watt hombrew rig he had a weak but decent signal
                      which I had no problem decoding with WSJT. The first thing that popped
                      into mind was my 4w ATS-3B, thinking this weak signal mode would be
                      suited for the ATS-3B.

                      Jim K6JF
                    • Vojtěch Bubník
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 29, 2008
                        Hi Jim.

                        > I don't know if you have any plans to do more work with Pocketdigi, but
                        > if so, would you consider adding the mode JT65A?

                        JT65 mode is quite complex. It is written in mix of C and Fortran. It would not be straightforward to port it to Pocket PC.

                        I have some objections for using JT65A on HF. The tone spacing is about 6Hz, which is too close, if the Ionosphere is instable. If you search archive of digitalradio@yahoogroups, you will find reports comparing JT65A on HF to slow Olivia. I would recommend you to try both Olivia and MFSK16 modes. Both of them are already implemented in PocketDigi and are supported by ATS-3b. Also RSID is supported by PocketDigi/ATS-3b, which will simplify mode detection and tuning. The only problem is narrow width of ATS-3b RX filter.

                        73, Vojtech OK1IAK
                      • Jim Fraser
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 29, 2008
                          Hi Vojtech,

                          Thanks for the reponse and information on JT65A. Yes, I know that it
                          is a slow mode which must be why the information passed in a QSO is
                          minimal. It was just an idea.

                          I have run Olivia and MFSK16 on the big rig so I am familiar with
                          these modes. I do plan to try out the digital modes PocketDigi has to
                          offer as soon as I get my 3B into its enclosure.

                          72 de Jim K6JF

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                            For those in the group who may still be wanting to buy a ATS-3B, I have six
                            (6) kits available for immediate shipping and could have more ready in
                            about a week if that isn't enough. I'll be leaving for my spring hike on
                            the AT about March 27th, so if you want one of these you must act quickly,
                            otherwise wait until I get back in June.
                            72,
                            Steve, KD1JV
                            "Melt Solder"
                            White Mountains of New Hampshire
                            http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
                          • c Weiss
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                              Steve,

                              Count me in !! Please !!

                              I sent a confirmation to your personal email address.

                              73 es gud dx to all,

                              conrad -- nn6cw

                              **************************

                              On 3/5/08, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                              For those in the group who may still be wanting to buy a ATS-3B, I have six
                              (6) kits available for immediate shipping and could have more ready in
                              about a week if that isn't enough. I'll be leaving for my spring hike on
                              the AT about March 27th, so if you want one of these you must act quickly,
                              otherwise wait until I get back in June.
                              72,
                              Steve, KD1JV
                              "Melt Solder"
                              White Mountains of New Hampshire
                              http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                            • radio_kx0r
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                                Steve,

                                The duration of your trip suggests that you may be planning to hike
                                the entire AT - is this true?

                                Any chance you're taking a radio?

                                Will you please post any information so that some of us could contact
                                you - if not, we respect your desire to escape this world into that
                                world out there.

                                Thanks

                                Carey Fuller
                                KX0R

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  Me too... (oh I don't like to post me too isms....) But this time..
                                  I'll make an exception.
                                  Thanks, Steve.

                                  --... ...--
                                  Dale - WC7S in Wy

                                  To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mr.cweiss@...
                                  Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:27:40 -0800
                                  Subject: Re: [AT_Sprint] ATS-3B kits available for sale

                                  ************ ********* *****

                                  On 3/5/08, Steven Weber <kd1jv@moose. ncia.net> wrote:

                                  For those in the group who may still be wanting to buy a ATS-3B, I have six
                                  (6) kits available for immediate shipping and could have more ready in
                                  about a week if that isn't enough. I'll be leaving for my spring hike on
                                  the AT about March 27th, so if you want one of these you must act quickly,
                                  otherwise wait until I get back in June.
                                  72,
                                  Steve, KD1JV
                                  "Melt Solder"
                                  White Mountains of New Hampshire
                                  http://kd1jv. qrpradio. com

                                • Bill Noyce
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                    On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:26 AM, radio_kx0r <careyfuller@...> wrote:

                                    > Steve,
                                    >
                                    > The duration of your trip suggests that you may be planning to hike
                                    > the entire AT - is this true?

                                    Not likely! Most through-hikers take close to six months.

                                    But it would be interesting to know what section you're planning to
                                    tackle, and whether you're going to try taking a radio again. And
                                    remind us of the address if you're going to publish a blog...

                                    -- Bill, AB1AV
                                  • Bill
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                      I would love to have one too, but what is the process. Is it the first
                                      6 checks you receive, like was done in the beginning? If your just
                                      taking a list from this group, please add me and thank you for making
                                      these available.
                                      73, Bill NT9K..

                                      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                                      > For those in the group who may still be wanting to buy a ATS-3B, I
                                      have six
                                      > (6) kits available for immediate shipping and could have more ready in
                                      > about a week if that isn't enough. I'll be leaving for my spring hike on
                                      > the AT about March 27th, so if you want one of these you must act
                                      quickly,
                                      > otherwise wait until I get back in June.
                                      > 72,
                                      > Steve, KD1JV
                                      > "Melt Solder"
                                      > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                                      > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                                    • Dan
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                        I replied to your personal e-mail as well as notifying you here that
                                        I'd like one of the 6 if any are left.

                                        -Dan, AB9ME

                                        On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                                        > For those in the group who may still be wanting to buy a ATS-3B, I have six
                                        > (6) kits available for immediate shipping and could have more ready in
                                        > about a week if that isn't enough. I'll be leaving for my spring hike on
                                        > the AT about March 27th, so if you want one of these you must act quickly,
                                        > otherwise wait until I get back in June.
                                        > 72,
                                        > Steve, KD1JV
                                        > "Melt Solder"
                                        > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                                        > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                                      • Tiana
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                          I would like one.

                                          Tiana KE5ODX

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                            >The duration of your trip suggests that you may be planning to hike
                                            >the entire AT - is this true?

                                            I hope to do about 1/2 of it, from the start of the trail on Springer Mt to
                                            Harpers Ferry. Thats assuming I can manage to average about 15 miles a day
                                            and not hurt myself!

                                            >Any chance you're taking a radio?

                                            Yes, but I may not carry it all the time. Will likely "bump" it ahead from
                                            time to time skipping some of the harder and longer streaches between town
                                            stops when more food has to be carried. Historically, I have not used the
                                            rig much on the trail. At the end of the day, I mostly just want to eat
                                            dinner and go to bed :-) I may try mostly doing PSK since I'll have the
                                            PDA. That might be easier then trying to bang out CW.

                                            I have a trail journal going at www.trailjournals.com under the trail name
                                            Slo-go'en.
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                              >I would love to have one too, but what is the process. Is it the first
                                              >6 checks you receive, like was done in the beginning? If your just
                                              >taking a list from this group, please add me and thank you for making
                                              >these available.

                                              Bill,

                                              First 6 emails saying their ready to buy. Your #7 so will have to wait
                                              until I kit up a few more next week. I'm waiting on 1 part which is in
                                              transit to complete more. It might be here tommorow, but more likely
                                              Monday. In the mean time you can send a check for $190.00 to me at

                                              Steven Weber
                                              633 Champalin St
                                              Berlin NH 03570

                                              and your kit will be ready when your letter gets here.

                                              72,
                                              Steve, KD1JV
                                              "Melt Solder"
                                              White Mountains of New Hampshire
                                              http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
                                            • tf3kx
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
                                                I will sign up for one, Steve.

                                                Having one soon would be good, but I am ready to wait for the June
                                                batch if it comes to that. Especially if you would think those would
                                                have any kind of refinements. Right now I am finishing up my K2 kit,
                                                which will keep me busy for the next few weeks.

                                                Drop me a mail: kristinn1 (at) gmail.com if needed.

                                                73 - and have fun on that trip! Kristinn, TF3KX
                                                http://radio.tf3kx.googlepages.com

                                                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                                                > For those in the group who may still be wanting to buy a ATS-3B, I
                                                have six
                                                > (6) kits available for immediate shipping and could have more
                                                ready in
                                                > about a week if that isn't enough. I'll be leaving for my spring
                                                hike on
                                                > the AT about March 27th, so if you want one of these you must act
                                                quickly,
                                                > otherwise wait until I get back in June.
                                                > 72,
                                                > Steve, KD1JV
                                                > "Melt Solder"
                                                > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                                                > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                                              • Joe Liszeski
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008

                                                  Steve,

                                                      If you have any kits available. I would be interested in one. I can send a check or PayPal.

                                                  thanks,

                                                  de Joe K8JWL