Re: [AT_Sprint] Need help trouble shooting ATS3A

  • Michael Harnage
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      FB job. I would make sure it was the antenna by
      checking it for continuity.

      I spend way more time putting my ATS rigs in
      enclosure's than I do building them. :) Have fun and
      show us some pics when you get done.

      -mike

      --- Glenn Maclean <wa7spy@...> wrote:

      > I was getting
      > noise with the screw driver touching all the points
      > you suggested. I
      > started playing with my antenna connection. I
      > noticed if I disconnected
      > the ground to my Pl259 connector that went to the
      > BNC adapter I was
      > able to hear floor noise and cw signals on both the
      > 20 meter and 40
      > meter filter boards. I was also able to peak the
      > noise on both the 20
      > and 40 meter filter boards by adjusting the trimmer
      > caps. I think I may
      > have a problem with my antenna which is a Carolina
      > Windom from Radio
      > Works which is many years old. I am going to have
      > to look into this
      > further.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lutz Bergner
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi,

        My favourite tool for such kind of trouble is a small wideband_noise
        generator probe. I use it to set up all stages from lf , if to the
        bandfilters. Every kit builder should have one It's so easy to build and
        really cheap. I guess there is even a source for kits over there in the
        US. At least here in EU are some.

        72s

        Lutz

        Am Montag, den 31.07.2006, 13:34 -0700 schrieb Michael Harnage:
        > Hi Glenn,
        >
        > When the rx "comes alive" does that mean that you can
        > hear signals where they are supposed to be? (Another
        > tx or signal generator is heard where you expect?)
      • Gil Stacy
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          Glenn,
          Around post #150, there are some trouble shooting discussions with Roland.  A simple signal injector is a capacitor hooked up to your antenna to inject signals at various stages in the RX.  The cap blocks dc. A description is in the thread.  I listed points on my ATS3 which picked up signals from the wire from the antenna onwards.  It didn't help Roland, but it h s been useful for me in the past.  Roland's issue was typical of 90%+  of problems with kits--bad solder joints.
          Gl es 72, Gil NN4CW