Re: [AT_Sprint] Need help trouble shooting ATS3A

  • Glenn Maclean
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
      Michael Harnage wrote:

      Hi Glenn,

      When the rx "comes alive" does that mean that you can
      hear signals where they are supposed to be? (Another
      tx or signal generator is heard where you expect?)

      I would start with the 20m board (it is simpler) and
      try the non-grounded sides of C5F and CT3 with the
      screwdriver to see if you get reception. If those two
      caps are OK then you should get reception. Then I
      would try the left most hole for L3. This should be
      the non grounded primary end. If that fails and I am
      guessing that it will, you probably have a problem
      with the transformer (LF3). Triple check how it is
      wired to the board. The outside two holes are for the
      primary (large number of windings) and the inside two
      holes (smaller number of windings) are for the
      secondary.

      If this fails come back with what you found and we try
      to proceed from there.

      -mike/w1mt

      --- Glenn Maclean <wa7spy@comcast. net> wrote:

      > I just finished putting together my ATS3A. The
      > calibration of the 10 MHZ
      > osciallator went fine. Centering the filters went
      > well also. The
      > voltages on all of the IC's are per the chart in the
      > manual without
      > the filter board installed. All of the menus work.
      > RIT works, tuning
      > up and down works, and storing messages in memory
      > works.
      >
      > Here is the issue I am having. I do not hear any
      > floor noise when I
      > connect the antenna. I do not hear any signals. If I
      > put a metal screw
      > driver at the rx in side of C1 the receiver comes
      > alive. I can also
      > put a screw driver on P1 of the filter board when it
      > is installed and
      > the receiver works. I have tried peaking the trimmer
      > caps on the
      > filter board and it does not seem to help. I have
      > the same problem
      > with the 20 and 40 meter filter boards. I have not
      > built the 80 and 30
      > filter boards yet. I have triple checked the cap
      > values and locations
      > on the filter boards and they are correct, The
      > toroid windings are
      > correct as well as well as the proper cores in the
      > proper locations.
      >
      > Any help as to where my problem might be would be
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Glenn Maclean WA7SPY

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

      Hi Mike,
      Thank you for all of your suggestions. I played with the ATS3A tonight and tried your suggestions. I could find nothing wrong. I was getting noise with the screw driver touching all the points you suggested. I started playing with my antenna connection. I noticed if I disconnected the ground to my Pl259 connector  that went to the BNC adapter  I was able to hear floor noise and cw signals on both the 20 meter and 40 meter filter boards. I was also able to peak the noise on both the 20 and 40 meter filter boards by adjusting the trimmer caps. I think I may have a problem with my antenna which is a Carolina Windom from Radio Works which is many years old.  I am going to have to look into this further.

      I am getting 3 watts output with a dummy load and the power supply set to 11 volts. As far as I can tell the ATS3A is now working as advertised. Now it is on to packaging it up. I think I am going to bend up some metal and make my own case. I work on corporate jet airplanes for a living. I have plenty of access to sheet metal and sheet metal tools.

      Thanks again for everyones suggestions.
      Glenn WA7SPY
    • Michael Harnage
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        FB job. I would make sure it was the antenna by
        checking it for continuity.

        I spend way more time putting my ATS rigs in
        enclosure's than I do building them. :) Have fun and
        show us some pics when you get done.

        -mike

        --- Glenn Maclean <wa7spy@...> wrote:

        > I was getting
        > noise with the screw driver touching all the points
        > you suggested. I
        > started playing with my antenna connection. I
        > noticed if I disconnected
        > the ground to my Pl259 connector that went to the
        > BNC adapter I was
        > able to hear floor noise and cw signals on both the
        > 20 meter and 40
        > meter filter boards. I was also able to peak the
        > noise on both the 20
        > and 40 meter filter boards by adjusting the trimmer
        > caps. I think I may
        > have a problem with my antenna which is a Carolina
        > Windom from Radio
        > Works which is many years old. I am going to have
        > to look into this
        > further.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Lutz Bergner
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi,

          My favourite tool for such kind of trouble is a small wideband_noise
          generator probe. I use it to set up all stages from lf , if to the
          bandfilters. Every kit builder should have one It's so easy to build and
          really cheap. I guess there is even a source for kits over there in the
          US. At least here in EU are some.

          72s

          Lutz

          Am Montag, den 31.07.2006, 13:34 -0700 schrieb Michael Harnage:
          > Hi Glenn,
          >
          > When the rx "comes alive" does that mean that you can
          > hear signals where they are supposed to be? (Another
          > tx or signal generator is heard where you expect?)
        • Gil Stacy
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            Glenn,
            Around post #150, there are some trouble shooting discussions with Roland.  A simple signal injector is a capacitor hooked up to your antenna to inject signals at various stages in the RX.  The cap blocks dc. A description is in the thread.  I listed points on my ATS3 which picked up signals from the wire from the antenna onwards.  It didn't help Roland, but it h s been useful for me in the past.  Roland's issue was typical of 90%+  of problems with kits--bad solder joints.
            Gl es 72, Gil NN4CW