Re: [AT_Sprint] Nor'Easter SW kit question

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007

      >I am soon to be in the possession of one of Steve's/NorCal's Nor'Easter
      >SW kits. It is similar to the ATS rigs, I believe, but only has RX
      >capabilities.

      John,

      I hate when really old kits come back to haunt me :-)

      The NorCal Nor'easter is an AM only SWBC receiver with PLL VFO which tunes
      from about 5 to 16 MHz in 5 kHz steps.

      It is quite possible the original owner had the chip reprogrammed.
      Unfortunetly, there is no way to tell until you build it (unless its
      already built).

      The only way to reprogram that chip is with a Atmel programmer. To my
      knowlage, there aren't any simple programmers you can build yourself. You
      also have to build something to hold the chip and connect leads to it, as
      its a SMT chip. If its already on the board, wires have to be tacked onto
      it, as it doesn't have programmer pins built onto the board. Finally, you
      need to have the program to load into it.

      I should have the program around here someplace. That project was done in
      the old DOS days. I guess I could still reprogram the CPU, but it might
      take me awhile to get around to spend the hour or two it will take to find
      and set up everything.

      72,
      Steve, KD1JV
      "Melt Solder"