Re: [AT_Sprint] Re: Build problems at TP1 on ATS-3a

  • Mark Brueggemann
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2007
      --- Jim Fraser <jimf53@...> wrote:

      > wondering how you de-fluxed your ATS-3A board?

      Something I find very effective is automotive brake cleaner,
      $2 a large can on sale. It will attack some types of plastic so
      you have to be careful, but it's an excellent flux cutter
      and degreaser, and leaves no residue. I use it with all
      of my electronics work.

      Mark K5LXP
      Albuquerque, NM
    • Jim Fraser
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2007
        Thanks for the feedback guys.

        Jim K6JF
      • Jim Fraser
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 9, 2007
          Tonight I soldered up the second of two zero beat indicator boards I
          had bought, but this time I used some of the .020 solder I bought for a
          recent surface-mount project. The second board was virtually flux free
          compared to the first board where I had used .032 solder. I think I
          found my solution!

          Looking forward to getting to work on the ATS-3B!

          72/73 de Jim K6JF
        • Bruce Beford
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Fraser" <jimf53@...> wrote:

            > Tonight I soldered up the second of two zero beat indicator boards
            > had bought, but this time I used some of the .020 solder I bought
            for a
            > recent surface-mount project. The second board was virtually flux
            free
            > compared to the first board where I had used .032 solder. I think I
            > found my solution!
            >
            > Looking forward to getting to work on the ATS-3B!
            >
            > 72/73 de Jim K6JF

            Yes, Jim. I find that for most people, the .020 (or smaller) solder
            is much easier to control the amount applied. It makes for as much
            neater finished project. This is especially true for SMT work. Since
            goind to .020 several years ago, I only use my .031 for 'heavy duty
            applications like cable connectors and the like. ALL pc board work
            here, thru-hole or SMT is done with .020 or smaller.

            Also, for those of you who frequent hamfests- If you don't already
            have a lifetime supply of smaller guage solder- It would be good to
            keep your eyes open in the flea market areas for good deals on rolls
            of solder. As Steve's recent experience with Mouser shows, you -don't-
            want to have to pay retail prices for it. At one local hamfest a
            couple of years ago, I was able to buy several rolls of .020 and
            smaller for cheap.

            72/73,
            Bruce N1RX
          • ab9io
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 11, 2007
              FB on that Jim!

              I actually finished my 3a this afternoon with the winding of the 80m
              coils. Boy, are my hands sore! ;) Mine actually receives quite well
              on 20m so far and the frequency announcement is spot-on. I still have
              the alignment stage to go (and casing), but everything is working out
              well.

              GL,

              Tony, AB9IO