It's in the mail

  • Karl Larsen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 4 3:21 PM
      How ever it turns out, I have sent Steve my order for a ATS3B and
      will await delivery. I have enough solder laden paste to do it, and will
      try for both sides in two heats. Tomorrow I will chase the Fox on 20
      meters with my current ATS3 in a Altoids tin. The key now is a Vibroplex
      Paddle that cost about as much as the ATS3B. It is big and heavy and
      works real good.

      73 Karl K5DI
    • John L. Sielke
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 4 3:31 PM
        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Karl Larsen <k5di@...> wrote:

        > How ever it turns out, I have sent Steve my order for a ATS3B and
        > will await delivery. I have enough solder laden paste to do it, and
        will
        > try for both sides in two heats. Tomorrow I will chase the Fox on 20
        > meters with my current ATS3 in a Altoids tin. The key now is a
        Vibroplex
        > Paddle that cost about as much as the ATS3B. It is big and heavy and
        > works real good.
        >
        > 73 Karl K5DI

        I'm curious. How did you manage that since the ATS3B has not even been
        listed yet? I haven't even seen the firm price yet. Or possibly you
        are a beta tester?

        John W2AGN
      • Karl Larsen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 4 3:43 PM
          John L. Sielke wrote:
          > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Karl Larsen <k5di@...> wrote:
          >
          >> How ever it turns out, I have sent Steve my order for a ATS3B and
          >> will await delivery. I have enough solder laden paste to do it, and
          >>
          > will
          >
          >> try for both sides in two heats. Tomorrow I will chase the Fox on 20
          >> meters with my current ATS3 in a Altoids tin. The key now is a
          >>
          > Vibroplex
          >
          >> Paddle that cost about as much as the ATS3B. It is big and heavy and
          >> works real good.
          >>
          >> 73 Karl K5DI
          >>

          > I'm curious. How did you manage that since the ATS3B has not even been
          > listed yet? I haven't even seen the firm price yet. Or possibly you
          > are a beta tester?
          >
          > John W2AGN

          Hi John, about 5 or 6 messages back Steve said the price will be $190.00
          which was right on my guess. So I decided to get my order in early.

          72,73
          Karl

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rob May
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4 4:10 PM
            I got the impression that $190 was a guesstimate, not a firm price. Unless
            Steven has all the components on hand I don't think he can state a definite
            price. Component prices continue to rise. As soon as Steven says he's
            ready to accept orders, I'll send in my check. Seems like that may be a
            month or more away.
            Rob
            NV5E

            >From: Karl Larsen <k5di@...>
            >To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [AT_Sprint] Re: It's in the mail
            >Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:43:41 -0600
            >
            >John L. Sielke wrote:
            > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Karl Larsen <k5di@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> How ever it turns out, I have sent Steve my order for a ATS3B and
            > >> will await delivery. I have enough solder laden paste to do it, and
            > >>
            > > will
            > >
            > >> try for both sides in two heats. Tomorrow I will chase the Fox on 20
            > >> meters with my current ATS3 in a Altoids tin. The key now is a
            > >>
            > > Vibroplex
            > >
            > >> Paddle that cost about as much as the ATS3B. It is big and heavy and
            > >> works real good.
            > >>
            > >> 73 Karl K5DI
            > >>

            > > I'm curious. How did you manage that since the ATS3B has not even been
            > > listed yet? I haven't even seen the firm price yet. Or possibly you
            > > are a beta tester?
            > >
            > > John W2AGN
            > >

            >Hi John, about 5 or 6 messages back Steve said the price will be $190.00
            >which was right on my guess. So I decided to get my order in early.
            >
            >72,73
            >Karl
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!�
            http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1
          • John Graf
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5 1:03 PM
              Steve -- perhaps you could comment? Would sending an order in now be a help or a
              hindrance?

              John, WA6L

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 5 1:24 PM
                Gang,

                Please don't order any of these yet! I have enough to do already and
                keeping track of pre-orders, keeping want lists, etc, just slows down the
                work that has to be done first. And there's still pleanty of that to do.
                Maybe I'll have everything ready sometime in August, but I have a lot of
                distractions during the summer, so Sept is still more likely. Keeping track
                of Paypal is a real pain for me and I'd really rather you not use that
                method unless there is no other choice, like your a DX station.

                Thanks for your understanding.

                72,
                Steve, KD1JV
                "Melt Solder"
                White Mountains of New Hampshire
                http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com
              • Kurt Savegnago
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5 1:27 PM
                  --- John Graf <john@...> wrote:

                  > Steve -- perhaps you could comment? Would sending
                  > an order in now be a help or a
                  > hindrance?
                  >
                  > John, WA6L

                  I had a private email with Steve about preorders 6
                  months ago. He prefers not to do that because it
                  takes work to keep track of them. I suspect with the
                  popularity of the Sprint series, he'll try to make
                  enough to satisfy the supply. I'd be curious if he
                  has noticed increasing popularity with each production
                  run. I noticed with the 3A there were still some
                  "stragglers" that wanted to buy but it was out of
                  production at that time they found out about the rig.

                  Kurt Savegnago
                  KC9LDH

                  Slackware user since 1994
                • Kurt Savegnago
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 5 1:30 PM
                    Sorry,

                    That should be "satisfy the demand" not supply.
                    Missed that error before I hit the send button.

                    Kurt

                    Slackware user since 1994
                  • Lee Boulineau
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6 7:36 AM
                      Steve,

                      Isn't it nice to feel like a rock star?!?! Now if you
                      play guitar....................

                      Lee N4MVL

                      --- Steven Weber <kd1jv@...> wrote:

                      > Gang,
                      >
                      > Please don't order any of these yet! I have enough
                      > to do already and
                      > keeping track of pre-orders, keeping want lists,
                      > etc, just slows down the
                      > work that has to be done first. And there's still
                      > pleanty of that to do.
                      > Maybe I'll have everything ready sometime in August,
                      > but I have a lot of
                      > distractions during the summer, so Sept is still
                      > more likely. Keeping track
                      > of Paypal is a real pain for me and I'd really
                      > rather you not use that
                      > method unless there is no other choice, like your a
                      > DX station.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your understanding.
                      >
                      > 72,
                      > Steve, KD1JV
                      > "Melt Solder"
                      > White Mountains of New Hampshire
                      > http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com

                      Need a vacation? Get great deals
                      to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                      http://travel.yahoo.com/
                    • Mark Brueggemann
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6 8:01 AM
                        Was just thinking, since Steve doesn't sell a particular version
                        more than one production run, how 'bout releasing the design files
                        for old versions? The version 3 and 3a ATS's were very popular for
                        what they were, and maybe some individual or group could take on
                        the project of sourcing boards and parts for additional runs of
                        these versions. It's up to Steve if he'd be willing to give his
                        PWB design files away, but it'd be one way to satisfy some of the
                        demand that always seems to exceed the supply. That way Steve
                        is free to work on current/future design, production and kitting.

                        Mark K5LXP
                        Albuquerque, NM
                      • John Harper
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 7 5:59 AM
                          I believe some of Steve's kit designs are being sold by Doug Hendricks
                          and have often wondered why the ATS series aren't among them, given
                          the unanimous reviews of these rigs among those who own them. In the
                          meantime, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the ATS3B.

                          73,

                          John Harper AE5X
                          http://www.ae5x.com

                          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brueggemann <qrq_cw@...> wrote:

                          > Was just thinking, since Steve doesn't sell a particular version
                          > more than one production run, how 'bout releasing the design files
                          > for old versions?
                        • Kurt Savegnago
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 7 6:25 AM
                            The short answer would be the cost and plus the fellow
                            might need his blessing/permission.

                            --- John Harper <ae5x@...> wrote:

                            > I believe some of Steve's kit designs are being sold
                            > by Doug Hendricks
                            > and have often wondered why the ATS series aren't
                            > among them, given
                            > the unanimous reviews of these rigs among those who
                            > own them. In the
                            > meantime, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the
                            > ATS3B.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            >
                            > John Harper AE5X
                            > http://www.ae5x.com
                            >

                            > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brueggemann
                            > <qrq_cw@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Was just thinking, since Steve doesn't sell a
                            > particular version
                            > > more than one production run, how 'bout releasing
                            > the design files
                            > > for old versions?
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Slackware user since 1994
                          • Gil Stacy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 7 6:30 AM
                              John,
                              One practical reason might be the potential loss of sales for Steve.  He goes to a lot of time and expense developing kits and compiling components.  If the kits were available from another source, the other source could potentially compete against his latest iteration, even though the  other souce would be selling an earlier version.  If Steve couldn't sell out of his kits because of lack of demand, perhaps we'd never see improved versions.
                              73, Gil NN4CW

                            • kr4ez@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 7 7:14 AM
                                Steve answered this a whille back saying he wanted to keep it a hobby and not turn it into a biesness. it is hard to believe he is covering the price of the parts for what little he charges for his kits. i think he could turn a profit with his kits if he wanted to. his ability to use non convintinal conponents for radios is fasinating.

                                Subj: [AT_Sprint] Re: Obsolete ATS Disposition
                                Date: Sat Jul 7, 2007 8:59
                                Size: 1K
                                To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                                I believe some of Steve's kit designs are being sold by Doug Hendricks
                                and have often wondered why the ATS series aren't among them, given
                                the unanimous reviews of these rigs among those who own them. In the
                                meantime, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the ATS3B.

                                73,

                                John Harper AE5X
                                http://www.ae5x.com

                                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brueggemann <qrq_cw@...> wrote:

                                > Was just thinking, since Steve doesn't sell a particular version
                                > more than one production run, how 'bout releasing the design files
                                > for old versions?

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Lee Boulineau
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 7 8:04 AM
                                  Look at it this way - Steve is continuing to improve
                                  the ATS series with each release. It is possible that
                                  he will transfer it over to Doug or someone else for
                                  regular kitting at some point. I would suspect that he
                                  might do this when he gets to the point where 1) he
                                  feels that the design can't be reasonably improved
                                  upon, or 2) when he gets tired of screwing with the
                                  design entirely and wants to do something else. I'm
                                  also quite impressed with Steve's designs, and am
                                  counting my pennies so that I have the $$$ for the 3B
                                  when it comes out. Now if we could get a 20-10m 10-20w
                                  SSB rig out of him before the next sunspot cycle
                                  peaks..............

                                  Lee N4MVL
                                  "one of the many KD1JV fans"

                                  --- kr4ez@... wrote:

                                  > Steve answered this a whille back saying he wanted
                                  > to keep it a hobby and not turn it into a biesness.
                                  > it is hard to believe he is covering the price of
                                  > the parts for what little he charges for his kits. i
                                  > think he could turn a profit with his kits if he
                                  > wanted to. his ability to use non convintinal
                                  > conponents for radios is fasinating.

                                • Bill Harris
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 9, 2007
                                    Hello Steve:

                                    I know your very busy, so I am willing to offer a hand on getting a non-deposit, pre-order list established for the new 3B.  You wouldn't be bothered with the gathering of names and can have full access to the list at any time.  Might come in handy knowing how many to plan for on the first shipment.  More than happy to help out.

                                    72's
                                    Bill Harris W7KXB