New to group

  • Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
      Hi all

      Just joined the group so though would say hello.

      Looking for one of these devices to take my SOTA activities to the next
      level. Currently use a FT817 and whilst this is a great radio the idea
      of reducing the weight is desirable and the MTR and ATS keep topping the
      list of desirable devices.

      It appears from here it is a case of waiting until the next run of
      devices are announced. Well that's cool, got time.

      So patiently waiting,

      Allen
      VK3HRA
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
        Allen,
        Also take a look at the PFR-3. I believe it is pretty much the same as the other two radios (designed by Steve Weber) except it has a built in antenna tuner. I have one and love it. Weighs 15 ounces, super receiver, built in keyer and memories for repeat calling, rit, direct freq entry from paddles, etc. I like the fact that the tuner is an integral part of it so I have my choice of antennas that this rig will conveniently tune for me. Bright yellow in color so you have a hard time losing it in the back country.

        Mike
        N1MB

        On 6/3/2013 6:01 AM, Allen wrote:

        Hi all

        Just joined the group so though would say hello.

        Looking for one of these devices to take my SOTA activities to the next
        level. Currently use a FT817 and whilst this is a great radio the idea
        of reducing the weight is desirable and the MTR and ATS keep topping the
        list of desirable devices.

        It appears from here it is a case of waiting until the next run of
        devices are announced. Well that's cool, got time.

        So patiently waiting,

        Allen
        VK3HRA

      • ckwishmeier
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
          Allen,

          I also have a PFR-3A and it is my favorite field radio. Heck, it is
          great in the shack running on the 8 AA cells and feeding my home
          antennas. Built it 2 years ago and it is going as strong as ever. I
          liked it so much that I sold my Yaesu FT-811. Sure would like to
          eventually get a MTR though! It would be great with my Buddipole as I
          have that antenna tuned perfectly on 20, 30 and 40. No need for an
          antenna tuner.

          Keith
          WA9S

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
            HI

            Yes the PFR-3A is on the list. Actually it was this device that lead me
            here. I've got time and really like the compactness of a MTR / ATS and
            happy to carry a resonate antenna. Planning a major trip early next year
            where the weight reduction will be crucial so will see how it goes.
            Still bumbling my way through CW so waiting and perfecting skills will
            not be a issue.

            Allen
            VK3HRA