RE: [AT_Sprint] Re: ATS-4 locked in straight key mode

    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2013
      Hi Paul,
      Can you use a DVM to measure ohms to ground... on each of the keying lines on your paddle?
      Then if you find a difference, and one side is low ohms... unplug from the radio.. see if it goes up?
      Bet it does. So the problem is in the radio... pop the lid off.. plug the paddle back in... measure the low
      side again.. still there? nope? or yes?
      No - problem is from jack to lid. be very cautious about letting the jack slip sideways.. the pin shorts to the lid.
      yes- the wires between the jack and the board are rather brittle.. and sometimes enough vibration will pop one loose to short.

      Still figure it is a brain issue?

      I swap the processor out with hot air.. but with a lot of care and focus on where the air is directed.. and for how long... the heat applied
      gets to the other side of the board quick... and messes up the buttons, so they suddenly need replacing too.

      IF you want to ship it here, I can do that or go a bit deeper before that drastic a measure.
      But the replacement IC is a bit of an issue... Steve is on the trail.. and I don't have any.. but from one that I have here that isn't built yet.
      Maybe I can borrow it, til he gets back. Which model 4 is it?

      Have a great day,

      --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

      To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
      From: aa1mi@...
      Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 00:47:59 +0000
      Subject: [AT_Sprint] Re: ATS-4 locked in straight key mode

      Hi Dale,

      Letting it sit for hours and longer seems to do nothing.

      I did play around by changing bands and using the SP button and finally got it out of RIT mode so I can tune again.

      However, I'm still stuck in straight key mode.

      How does one go about giving an ATS-4 a brain transplant, if it comes to that?

      73
      Paul

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Dale Putnam <daleputnam@...> wrote:

      > In the heat of "oh My.. it is broke" and somewhere on the way to "I need it..." there is a shuddering and realization... something.. went wrong. It is so easy to just start pushing buttons.. I know... I have rescued me from that a lot. Have you allowed it to sit.. say an hour without power. then without a key plugged in, power up. Is it in rit now? now plug in the paddle, is it in straight key?

    • Mike Olbrisch
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2013
        I'm just thinking out loud here.... but IIRC, it goes to straight key mode
        when you power it up with two contacts shorted at the key jack.

        Was it me - I would use an ohm meter and probe around the key connections -
        looking for something shorting it.

        Could still be a shorted processor input, but the jack and wires is a simple
        thing to look at before brain surgery.

        Hope this helps.

        Vy73 - Mike - KD9KC.
        El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.
        W5-SOTA Association Manager.
        NA-SOTA info: http://na-sota.org/

        Letting it sit for hours and longer seems to do nothing.

        I did play around by changing bands and using the SP button and finally got
        it out of RIT mode so I can tune again.

        However, I'm still stuck in straight key mode.

        How does one go about giving an ATS-4 a brain transplant, if it comes to
        that?

        73
        Paul

        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Dale Putnam <daleputnam@...> wrote:

        > In the heat of "oh My.. it is broke" and somewhere on the way to "I need
        it..." there is a shuddering and realization... something.. went wrong. It
        is so easy to just start pushing buttons.. I know... I have rescued me from
        that a lot. Have you allowed it to sit.. say an hour without power. then
        without a key plugged in, power up. Is it in rit now? now plug in the
        paddle, is it in straight key?

      • Colin Tuckley
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2013
          Quoting pgschreier <aa1mi@...>:

          > I did play around by changing bands and using the SP button and
          > finally got it out of RIT mode so I can tune again.
          >
          > However, I'm still stuck in straight key mode.
          >
          > How does one go about giving an ATS-4 a brain transplant, if it
          > comes to that?

          Looking through the Group message archive (which is always a good
          thing to do for cases like this) it appears to have happened to other
          people, it's something to do with saving the state when in straight
          key mode.

          The way to get out of it appears to be to power up the rig with the
          menu button held down.

          If that doesn't fix it then I'd suspect a hardware fault with the key
          input lines, hopefully it's not actually a microprocessor input that
          is damaged.

          Colin G8TMV
        • pgschreier
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2013
            Hi all,

            Thanks for all the advice.

            It turned out to be a mechanical/wiring error. Probably too much bouncing around in my backpack or something. Who knows?

            Anyway, things are back to normal (for the moment) and I can start using my ATS4 with it's hot rx once again.

            73
            Paul