Re: [AT_Sprint] Re: KD1JV Hike Update

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2013
      Y'all sure are piddling round her'ar,
      wine ch'all qwit yer fiddlin' an git back to busyness
      n' shinny up thet thar hill yonder likity split now
      so's we'uns ken lisn ta thet CW music!
      Rich
      NU6T
      On 5/2/2013 7:38 AM, Mike wrote:

      Let's not forget to include the basic's that you'll need here in the South.

      back'ayre
      up'ayre
      down'ayre
      ov'ayre
      been'ayre
      them'thar
      yonder can be substituted ;)

      Mike
      N1MB

      On 5/2/2013 9:21 AM, dipoley wrote:

      Shucks I even know what "read up" means.
      Mike from Apalachin,NY,,, and yes I spelled it right

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Mitchell <tzmitch@...> wrote:

      > Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.
      >
      > 73, y'all.
      >
      > Tommy W4TZM
      >
      > On May 2, 2013, at 2:22 AM, ae5xae5x <ae5x@...> wrote:
      >
      > > You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.
      > >
      > > John AE5X
      > >
      > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > and was fixing to.....
      > >
      > > >73
      > > > Tommy
      > > > W4TZM

    • brianpepperdine
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2013
        Yes, the Appalachian Trail DOES seem to be an achievement to do.
        Unless I am wrong, it does also tend to be something that is so draining that Steve might not be using his own radio gear on this kind of hike - reserving activity for less straining hike closer to home?

        As an aside, I have hiked some some small parts of the AT. It DOES interest me and I do hope to do a good part of it after I retire from the first career.
        I've read a number of books on doing the AT - a blind fellow with his guide dog; Bill Bryson's book (he was HARDLY prepared for it); Dennis Blanchard's book (300 Zeroes) on his hike/ham radio (he had to stop for a while and do recuperative heart surgery and then return to the AT healthier and lighter).

        Up hereabouts we have the Bruce Trail... which is 560 miles long
        and is a UN Bioheritage Site.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Trail

        I hike it quite a bit in sections, but usually only day hikes for now and with the dogs and 8 year old niece and wife, so no ham radio. But I will be trying out some hiking/SOTA ideas for future endeavours this summer and might us the Bruce Trail for some of the testing.

        enjoy and be safe outdoors

        Brien
        VE3VAW

        --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

        > Note that I'm not about to try a hike on such a trail. I'm up to about
        > 2 miles every other day along the quite flat Fred Meijer White Pine
        > Linear Park Trail which is built on a former railroad bed. Maximum grade
        > is something like 3%,
        >
        > I do like to take my AT-Sprint (original version) and set up along the
        > trail.
      • Tommy Mitchell
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2013

          On May 3, 2013, at 9:42 AM, brianpepperdine <brianpepperdine@...> wrote:

          Yes, the Appalachian Trail DOES seem to be an achievement to do.
          Unless I am wrong, it does also tend to be something that is so draining that Steve might not be using his own radio gear on this kind of hike - reserving activity for less straining hike closer to home?

          He reported to another guy and me that he doesn't have a radio since that leaves more room for Snickers bars.  Priorities….

          Tommy
          W4TZM