Re: KD1JV Hike Update

  • ae5xae5x
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2013
      You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.

      John AE5X

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@...> wrote:

      and was fixing to.....

      >73
      > Tommy
      > W4TZM

    • Arthur Ripple
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2013

        what do you mean by THAT?

      • Tommy Mitchell
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2013
          Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.

          73, y'all.

          Tommy W4TZM

          On May 2, 2013, at 2:22 AM, ae5xae5x <ae5x@...> wrote:

          You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.

          John AE5X

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@...> wrote:

          and was fixing to.....

          >73
          > Tommy
          > W4TZM

        • dipoley
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2013
            Shucks I even know what "read up" means.
            Mike from Apalachin,NY,,, and yes I spelled it right

            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Mitchell <tzmitch@...> wrote:

            > Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.
            >
            > 73, y'all.
            >
            > Tommy W4TZM
            >
            > On May 2, 2013, at 2:22 AM, ae5xae5x <ae5x@...> wrote:
            >
            > > You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.
            > >
            > > John AE5X
            > >
            > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > and was fixing to.....
            > >
            > > >73
            > > > Tommy
            > > > W4TZM

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2013
              Let's not forget to include the basic's that you'll need here in the South.

              back'ayre
              up'ayre
              down'ayre
              ov'ayre
              been'ayre
              them'thar
              yonder can be substituted ;)

              Mike
              N1MB

              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                What's this "you'll" you speak of... thought it was "y'all"?????

                C U round

                Have a great day,

                --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

                To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com
                CC: mgazy@...
                From: mike@...
                Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 09:38:27 -0500
                Subject: Re: [AT_Sprint] Re: KD1JV Hike Update

                Let's not forget to include the basic's that you'll need here in the South.

                back'ayre
                up'ayre
                down'ayre
                ov'ayre
                been'ayre
                them'thar
                yonder can be substituted ;)

                Mike
                N1MB

                On 5/2/2013 9:21 AM, dipoley wrote:

                Shucks I even know what "read up" means.
                Mike from Apalachin,NY,,, and yes I spelled it right

                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Mitchell <tzmitch@...> wrote:

                > Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.
                >
                > 73, y'all.
                >
                > Tommy W4TZM
                >
                > On May 2, 2013, at 2:22 AM, ae5xae5x <ae5x@...> wrote:
                >
                > > You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.
                > >
                > > John AE5X
                > >
                > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > and was fixing to.....
                > >
                > > >73
                > > > Tommy
                > > > W4TZM

              • Mike

                  From: mike@...
                  Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 09:38:27 -0500

                  Let's not forget to include the basic's that you'll need here in the South.

                  back'ayre
                  up'ayre
                  down'ayre
                  ov'ayre
                  been'ayre
                  them'thar
                  yonder can be substituted ;)

                  Mike
                  N1MB

                  On 5/2/2013 9:21 AM, dipoley wrote:

                  Shucks I even know what "read up" means.
                  Mike from Apalachin,NY,,, and yes I spelled it right

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Mitchell <tzmitch@...> wrote:

                  > Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.
                  >
                  > 73, y'all.
                  >
                  > Tommy W4TZM
                  >
                  > On May 2, 2013, at 2:22 AM, ae5xae5x <ae5x@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.
                  > >
                  > > John AE5X
                  > >
                  > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > and was fixing to.....
                  > >
                  > > >73
                  > > > Tommy
                  > > > W4TZM

                • scott
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                    don't forget ...

                    down the road a piece

                    73
                    scott w5ese

                    --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Mike <mike@...> wrote:

                    > Let's not forget to include the basic's that you'll need here in the South.
                    >
                    > back'ayre
                    > up'ayre
                    > down'ayre
                    > ov'ayre
                    > been'ayre
                    > them'thar
                    > yonder can be substituted ;)
                    >
                    > Mike
                    > N1MB
                    >

                    > On 5/2/2013 9:21 AM, dipoley wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Shucks I even know what "read up" means.
                    > > Mike from Apalachin,NY,,, and yes I spelled it right
                    > >
                    > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AT_Sprint%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > Tommy Mitchell <tzmitch@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.
                    > > >
                    > > > 73, y'all.
                    > > >
                    > > > Tommy W4TZM

                  • Hank Greeb
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                      I must have missed something.  Even a search back to early April in this forum I can't find any info on where Steve is/was intending to travel along the Appalachian Trail.  Anyone know more details?

                      Note that I'm not about to try a hike on such a trail.  I'm up to about 2 miles every other day along the quite flat Fred Meijer White Pine Linear Park Trail which is built on a former railroad bed.  Maximum grade is something like 3%, and most of the time the grade is <1%.  A few years back I routinely did 6 miles or more every other day on this and similar trails, but I sloughed off during the winter of 2011/12 and my legs don't work all that well any more.

                      I do like to take my AT-Sprint (original version) and set up along the trail.  There are plenty of "naturally occurring antenna supports" along the trail, and many parts have beautiful scenery, even close to civilization of cities and towns.

                      I surely admire the folks who travel along the "major" trails like the Appalachian trail, etc.

                      72/73 de n8xx Hg
                      QRP >99.44% of the time
                    • Michael Harnage
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                        http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14782

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                          I don't know if Steve posted it on the list or not, but he'd sent me a message on Facebook a couple months back, and  is periodically giving updates on his FB page.  Actually, though, I think he did mention here on the list that he wanted to get the MTRs out before he went on his hike.

                          Basically, he set out from Springer Mtn. on about 4/17 and is looking to put in about 500 miles.

                          73 de Lee
                          --
                          Lee Hiers, AA4GA

                          Submit your QRP DXCC totals to www.qrpdx.com!

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                            Thanks.  I'll also look up Steve on Facbebook.

                            72/73 de n8xx Hg
                            QRP >99.44% of the time

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 2, 2013
                              Y'all sure are piddling round her'ar,
                              wine ch'all qwit yer fiddlin' an git back to busyness
                              n' shinny up thet thar hill yonder likity split now
                              so's we'uns ken lisn ta thet CW music!
                              Rich
                              NU6T
                              On 5/2/2013 7:38 AM, Mike wrote:

                              Let's not forget to include the basic's that you'll need here in the South.

                              back'ayre
                              up'ayre
                              down'ayre
                              ov'ayre
                              been'ayre
                              them'thar
                              yonder can be substituted ;)

                              Mike
                              N1MB

                              On 5/2/2013 9:21 AM, dipoley wrote:

                              Shucks I even know what "read up" means.
                              Mike from Apalachin,NY,,, and yes I spelled it right

                              --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Mitchell <tzmitch@...> wrote:

                              > Google translates "fixing to" as "getting ready to" in Southern.
                              >
                              > 73, y'all.
                              >
                              > Tommy W4TZM
                              >
                              > On May 2, 2013, at 2:22 AM, ae5xae5x <ae5x@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > You may have to translate that phrase for northern readers.
                              > >
                              > > John AE5X
                              > >
                              > > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "tzmitch" <tzmitch@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > and was fixing to.....
                              > >
                              > > >73
                              > > > Tommy
                              > > > W4TZM

                            • brianpepperdine
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 3, 2013
                                Yes, the Appalachian Trail DOES seem to be an achievement to do.
                                Unless I am wrong, it does also tend to be something that is so draining that Steve might not be using his own radio gear on this kind of hike - reserving activity for less straining hike closer to home?

                                As an aside, I have hiked some some small parts of the AT. It DOES interest me and I do hope to do a good part of it after I retire from the first career.
                                I've read a number of books on doing the AT - a blind fellow with his guide dog; Bill Bryson's book (he was HARDLY prepared for it); Dennis Blanchard's book (300 Zeroes) on his hike/ham radio (he had to stop for a while and do recuperative heart surgery and then return to the AT healthier and lighter).

                                Up hereabouts we have the Bruce Trail... which is 560 miles long
                                and is a UN Bioheritage Site.

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Trail

                                I hike it quite a bit in sections, but usually only day hikes for now and with the dogs and 8 year old niece and wife, so no ham radio. But I will be trying out some hiking/SOTA ideas for future endeavours this summer and might us the Bruce Trail for some of the testing.

                                enjoy and be safe outdoors

                                Brien
                                VE3VAW

                                --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

                                > Note that I'm not about to try a hike on such a trail. I'm up to about
                                > 2 miles every other day along the quite flat Fred Meijer White Pine
                                > Linear Park Trail which is built on a former railroad bed. Maximum grade
                                > is something like 3%,
                                >
                                > I do like to take my AT-Sprint (original version) and set up along the
                                > trail.
                              • Tommy Mitchell
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 3, 2013

                                  On May 3, 2013, at 9:42 AM, brianpepperdine <brianpepperdine@...> wrote:

                                  Yes, the Appalachian Trail DOES seem to be an achievement to do.
                                  Unless I am wrong, it does also tend to be something that is so draining that Steve might not be using his own radio gear on this kind of hike - reserving activity for less straining hike closer to home?

                                  He reported to another guy and me that he doesn't have a radio since that leaves more room for Snickers bars.  Priorities….

                                  Tommy
                                  W4TZM