Tactile switch information

  • Michael Harnage
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
      Kurt's recent post about packaging the ATS rigs made
      me think of this. The button switches that are
      supplied with the ATS3 and ATS3A rigs are 6x6x7
      tactile buttons. The ones at
      <http://www.mouser.com/catalog/626/1184.pdf> that
      match figure D are equivalent, if not the same ones,
      that Steve puts in the kits. You have your choice of
      tactile resistance (I am partial to the light touch
      ones -- 100g). Red colored buttons tend to be the
      stiffest, brown or black are typically lighter.

      If you package your rig in anything thicker than an
      Altoids tin or very thin sheet of wood (1/32") you
      will need taller buttons. For 1/8" thick wood I would
      recommend the 6x6x9.5 size.

      If you do replace them on your board snip the old ones
      off and remove the soldered legs one at a time from
      the board then clean the holes and replace. It is
      easier than trying to save the old buttons.

      Btw, the ATS2 used the 6x6x13 size buttons.

      73 de w1mt
      mike

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
        One alternative to getting taller buttons is to use a large drill bit
        to recess the wood slightly around the button hole. This would allow
        the finger tip to toggle the button even though the button is shorter
        than the box's top surface. Another advantage of this method is that
        you would be able to have the box turned over and set it down on its
        top...but not be toggling any buttons, as they would be recessed.

        I may need to use this method on my box. I think with the wood I got,
        the buttons will be flush with the top of the box...so I will need to
        recess the wood around them a bit. By the way, I bought a sheet of
        hobby wood (not balsa) for 99 cents...much cheaper than the altoids I
        would never eat...and, structurally, far stronger.

        Regards,

        Kurt - ae6uj