Re: New MTR ?

  • ian.kirkpatrick1@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
      Thanks for the heads up Steve, much appreciated.
      Ian
      G4WTF

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

      > The circuit boards will be here in an hour or so. I don't have a current ETA for the cases yet, but those should be shipping in a week or two. I maybe ready by the time the cases get here, maybe not. It's almost time to help make Maple Syrup, so that could slow me down some.
      >
      > I made some minor changes to the board by converting to chip caps in the transmitter filter, so of course the manual needs to be updated and still working on that. I'm also changing the way the caps are color coded as I'm running out of colors to use. I'm now going to mark the carriers with their value using the resistor color code.
      >
      > I've also decided to eliminate the pocketdigi mode since I belive that feature has pretty much run it's course. The calibration mode has bee simplified as I'm using clocks with 20 ppm accuracy which should be pleanty close "as is". The 100 ppm clocks were typically really close and these new ones are 5 times better.
      >
      > So, keep tuned, it won't be too much longer...
      >
      > KD1JV
      > I had an e-mail earlier this week from Steve where he sais the next MTR offering will be in "a couple weeks." Don't worry, it is still comming.

    • Gil G.
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
        Thank you Sir! Any idea on price yet? I just wonder how much i should leave on my Paypal account and if you are going to take Paypal, credits cards, or another mean of payment?

        Best regards,

        On Mar 7, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Steven Weber wrote:

        So, keep tuned, it won't be too much longer...

      • wheeler2roh
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
          Steve-

          Excited to hear of your progress! I've been waiting for my shot at an MTR since last Spring.

          There must be some connection between QRP and maple syrup, but I've haven't figured it out yet. :)

          Regarding PocketDIgi, I was actually looking forward to playing with the MTR in digital mode (I have an old Jornada PocketPC), and maybe there are others who'd like to try this as well. It's a feature not found in most small transceivers. Are you needing to clear up program space on the processor? Would I be able to flash an old version of the code if you make the change, and still use the MTR with digital?

          Thanks,
          Wayne
          W6AHH

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

          > The circuit boards will be here in an hour or so. I don't have a current ETA for the cases yet, but those should be shipping in a week or two. I maybe ready by the time the cases get here, maybe not. It's almost time to help make Maple Syrup, so that could slow me down some.
          >
          > I made some minor changes to the board by converting to chip caps in the transmitter filter, so of course the manual needs to be updated and still working on that. I'm also changing the way the caps are color coded as I'm running out of colors to use. I'm now going to mark the carriers with their value using the resistor color code.
          >
          > I've also decided to eliminate the pocketdigi mode since I belive that feature has pretty much run it's course. The calibration mode has bee simplified as I'm using clocks with 20 ppm accuracy which should be pleanty close "as is". The 100 ppm clocks were typically really close and these new ones are 5 times better.
          >
          > So, keep tuned, it won't be too much longer...
          >
          > KD1JV
          > I had an e-mail earlier this week from Steve where he sais the next MTR offering will be in "a couple weeks." Don't worry, it is still comming.

        • jgaffke
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
            Gil,
            Get your checkbook balanced and stock up on postage stamps.
            None of this new-fangled electronic stuff.
            Jerry, KE7ER

            From message 10254:
            That's right check or MO, I will no longer accept payment via paypal except for DX orders. We'll figure out the details of how that will work later. 72, Steve KD1JV

            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Gil G." <gil@...> wrote:
            > Thank you Sir! Any idea on price yet? I just wonder how much i should leave on my Paypal account and if you are going to take Paypal, credits cards, or another mean of payment?
          • Mike Olbrisch
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013

              Woo-Hoo......  got my ATS-4B today.....  I sent it to Dale 7 months ago, and he got it to me in time for a trip to Germany this summer.

              My first question.....  I have paged through the manual 3 times now.  I admit I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 28 hours (nights suck), but I have not been able to find anything absolutely certain about the power polarity.  And that isn't something I want to experiment with.

              Is it center pin positive?

              Thanks all.

              Mike - KD9KC.

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                Center Pin Positive.. sure thing.. and it would be better if you don't have any more than 12 v in.. k?

                Have a great day,

                --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

                To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013

                  Thanks all.  Got it.  The first thing I noticed is I have no backlight of the display.  I need to read the manual to find out how to turn that on and off.  That will need to wait until I get some sleep....   right now that would be almost as good as counting sheep.  <grin>.

                  Oh - initial power will be an 800 mah Li-Po battery, about 11.5 vdc.  For field use I have the same Sky-LiPo in 350 mah, 500 mah, 800 mah and 1300 mah.  They were so cheap I couldn't resist one of each.

                  Thanks again.

                  To: AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                    The back light is on all the time, it is only off when the rig is off. It likely wiggled out of the socket in shipping. Take the cover off and apply a little preasure to the bottom corners to set it. Do not push in the middle of the display as that could crack the glass.

                    Thanks all.  Got it.  The first thing I noticed is I have no backlight of the display.  I need to read the manual to find out how to turn that on and off.  That will need to wait until I get some sleep....   right now that would be almost as good as counting sheep.  <grin>.

                  • kc2nyu
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Lots of nice comments about the ATS-4B, but are they still available from any source?

                      73 Paul

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

                        Good morning Steve.

                        You were absolutely correct.  I was too sleepy last night to think of that.  Following your directions, it came right up.  And I was met with another surprise.  The photos, and the one I borrowed had an orange display.  Mine is green.  Not sure it matters to me, I was just expecting orange.  I think I actually like the green better.

                        Looking forward to a first contact with it later today, and many fine outings on SOTA summits, dog shows, and whatever other boring places I end up where it can play.

                        Thanks again.

                        Vy73 - Mike - KD9KC.

                        El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.

                        W5-SOTA Association Manager.

                        NA-SOTA info: http://na-sota.org/

                        The back light is on all the time, it is only off when the rig is off. It likely wiggled out of the socket in shipping. Take the cover off and apply a little preasure to the bottom corners to set it. Do not push in the middle of the display as that could crack the glass.

                        Thanks all.  Got it.  The first thing I noticed is I have no backlight of the display.  I need to read the manual to find out how to turn that on and off.  That will need to wait until I get some sleep....   right now that would be almost as good as counting sheep.  <grin>.

                      • Joseph Trombino, Jr
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                          As the ATS4B kits are always in demand I was wondering if this wouldn't be a great product line for Doug Hendricks of QRPkits to pick up??

                          Steve, KD1JV, has a couple of designs in Dougs stable of kits.

                          Just a thought.

                          73, Joe W2KJ

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                            If he ever re-kits the ATS-4s, I will buy two for the grand-kids. Something
                            we can build together, then they can use - after I retire and have the time.

                            Mike - KD9KC.

                            Lots of nice comments about the ATS-4B, but are they still available from
                            any source?

                            73 Paul

                            --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "jgaffke" <jgaffke@...> wrote:

                            > Gil,
                            > Get your checkbook balanced and stock up on postage stamps.
                            > None of this new-fangled electronic stuff.
                            > Jerry, KE7ER
                            >
                            > From message 10254:
                            > That's right check or MO, I will no longer accept payment via paypal
                            except for DX orders. We'll figure out the details of how that will work
                            later. 72, Steve KD1JV

                            > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "Gil G." <gil@> wrote:
                            > > Thank you Sir! Any idea on price yet? I just wonder how much i should
                            leave on my Paypal account and if you are going to take Paypal, credits
                            cards, or another mean of payment?

                          • n2msqrp
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                              Doug Hendricks kits use through hols devices. Any SMT parts are pre mounted.

                              They;re easier to build.

                              Mike N2MS

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

                                On Mar 8, 2013 12:47 PM, <mstangelo@...> wrote:

                                > Doug Hendricks kits use through hols devices. Any SMT parts are pre mounted.

                                Well,  except for the SMK-2.  I think Doug expects he'll eventually want to offer other SMT kits, too.

                                  -- Bill, AB1AV