new PR

  • cloud runner
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2013
      Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery.  The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO.  It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.

      Only used 151 mAH from the battery.  Obviously, the battery was too big ;-)  I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.

      73 & HNY,

      Fred - KT5X

      aka WS0TA when on a SOTA Peak

      ATS3B

      ATS4B

      MTR # 98 under construction
    • Johnny Matlock
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2013
        Rock on Fred!
        Sounds like fun to me!
        I am looking for a "peak" in Ks to activate.
        I think that would be some kinda neat fun.
        72
        Johnny AC0BQ

        On Thursday, January 3, 2013, cloud runner wrote:

        Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery.  The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO.  It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.

        Only used 151 mAH from the battery.  Obviously, the battery was too big ;-)  I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.

        73 & HNY,

        Fred - KT5X

        aka WS0TA when on a SOTA Peak

        ATS3B

        ATS4B

        MTR # 98 under construction

      • steve_wg0at
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
          Fred, Knowing those SOTA QSOs aren't your average rag chew QSOs more likely 10-15 seconds if that. If this were case you could probably estimate you were burning approximately .33 mAH/second. Wow! now that's a green radio if there ever was one! And I bet you charged your battery with solar energy as well, right? ...Steve/wGOAT

          --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "cloud runner" wrote:

          > Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery. The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO. It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.
          >
          > Only used 151 mAH from the battery. Obviously, the battery was too big ;-) I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.
          >
          > 73 & HNY,
          >
          > Fred - KT5X
          >
          > aka WS0TA when on a SOTA Peak
          >
          > ATS3B
          >
          > ATS4B
          >
          > MTR # 98 under construction

        • cloud runner
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
            Ha-hah-hah, in fact, I run the whole house including electric heat on a large solar photovoltaic tracker!

            73- fred - kt5x
            aka WS0TA

            --
            Fred, Knowing those SOTA QSOs aren't your average rag chew QSOs more likely 10-15 seconds if that. If this were case you could probably estimate you were burning approximately .33 mAH/second. Wow! now that's a green radio if there ever was one! And I bet you charged your battery with solar energy as well, right? ...Steve/wGOAT

          • Etienne Scott
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
              Hey Fred -

              What voltage was your 1000 mAH battery pack? And who makes that one and the 500 mAH pack that you are using next?

              Makes me think that running on 2500 mAH AA alkaline batteries would be overkill...

              Thanks,
              Etienne, K7ATN

              --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "cloud runner" wrote:

              > Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery. The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO. It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.
              >
              > Only used 151 mAH from the battery. Obviously, the battery was too big ;-) I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.
              >
              > 73 & HNY,
              >
              > Fred - KT5X
            • Lee Hiers
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Etienne Scott <climb2ski97215@...> wrote:

                What voltage was your 1000 mAH battery pack? And who makes that one and the 500 mAH pack that you are using next?

                Makes me think that running on 2500 mAH AA alkaline batteries would be overkill...

                I mentioned to Fred offline that I have over three hours operation on a single Eveready 9v primary lithium battery in my ATS3b, and it's got voltage left still...and that wasn't just RX, as I used it for Spartan Sprints - lots of transmitting.  I haven't done SOTA with the ATS yet, but if you're a CW op, it's just about perfect for that.  My hikes have been pretty leisurely and I haven't worried much about weight, so I've used an FT817, and a KX3 most recently...but plan to use the ATS later this year from a mountain....could probably stuff everything in my pockets and not even use a pack!  ;-)

                73 de Lee
                --
                Lee Hiers, AA4GA
                Submit your totals to the unofficial QRP DXCC standings - go to http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html for more info!

              • cloud runner
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                  My 1,000 mAH LiPO was in the order of seven bux, Blue LiPO brand, from Hobbypartz dot com.  It is a 3S in other words 11.1 to 11.6 for its flat area of discharge, BUT, fully charged it is 12.4 volts, and in working 31 QSO's it discharged all the way down to 12.0 volts !!!  I have changed all my larger batteries to Anderson Powerpoles.

                  The 500 mAH came from the same source, but it is a Zippy Compact, brand.  It weighs less that two ounces, and uses a small JST connector which I think I like more than Andersons for this service since they are so much less bulky.

                  We did do an experimental activation recently with an ATS4 and the 500 mAH battery.  It discharged into its flat range, but only just barely, that is, it was down to 11.6 volts after half an hour of SOTA operation.  Oh, and, I think these batteries were like three bux, suppose to recharge hundreds of times.

                  fred

                  Hey Fred -

                  What voltage was your 1000 mAH battery pack? And who makes that one and the 500 mAH pack that you are using next?

                  Makes me think that running on 2500 mAH AA alkaline batteries would be overkill...

                  Thanks,
                  Etienne, K7ATN

                  --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "cloud runner" wrote:

                  > Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B
                  powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery. The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO. It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.

                  > Only used 151 mAH from
                  the battery. Obviously, the battery was too big ;-) I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.

                  > 73
                  & HNY,

                  > Fred - KT5X

                • Keith Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                    I would like to find a 500mah Lipo or similar that was more like 11 or 11.5 volts fully charged for my ATS-3B. The problem is when I start looking at all those hobby batteries I get confused about what charger to use and what connector to use. Anyone know of a web page or tutorial to help straighten me out?
                    Hams get easily confused as we age! lol

                    Keith N8CEP

                    On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:25 PM, "cloud runner" <just.one.hill@...> wrote:

                    > My 1,000 mAH LiPO was in the order of seven bux, Blue LiPO brand, from Hobbypartz dot com. It is a 3S in other words 11.1 to 11.6 for its flat area of discharge, BUT, fully charged it is 12.4 volts, and in working 31 QSO's it discharged all the way down to 12.0 volts !!! I have changed all my larger batteries to Anderson Powerpoles.
                    >
                    > The 500 mAH came from the same source, but it is a Zippy Compact, brand. It weighs less that two ounces, and uses a small JST connector which I think I like more than Andersons for this service since they are so much less bulky.
                    >
                    > We did do an experimental activation recently with an ATS4 and the 500 mAH battery. It discharged into its flat range, but only just barely, that is, it was down to 11.6 volts after half an hour of SOTA operation. Oh, and, I think these batteries were like three bux, suppose to recharge hundreds of times.
                    >
                    > fred
                    >
                    > Hey Fred -
                    >
                    > What voltage was your 1000 mAH battery pack? And who makes that one and the 500 mAH pack that you are using next?
                    >
                    > Makes me think that running on 2500 mAH AA alkaline batteries would be overkill...
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Etienne, K7ATN
                    >
                    > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "cloud runner" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery. The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO. It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.
                    > >
                    > > Only used 151 mAH from the battery. Obviously, the battery was too big ;-) I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.
                    > >
                    > > 73 & HNY,
                    > >
                    > > Fred - KT5X

                  • Randy Moore
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Keith,

                      For LiPos, you must use a charger that is designed for LiPos. There are bunches of them! You choose one that provides for at least the number of cells in your batteries (11.1 v is 3-cells), and one that allows you to choose a charging current of 1x the mah capacity if the battery (referred to as the "C" rating). The issue with the ATS radios is that you need to keep the supply voltage below 12v. A fully charged 3-cell LiPo will be about 12.4 v. Steve has said this is probably OK if your antenna system has a near 1:1 SWR. Otherwise, you need to stay under 12v. Several means of doing this have been discussed here, including using series diodes and limiting the battery charge to <12v.

                      On the connector, there are lots of those out there, but you can change them to whatever you want. Just be careful to not short the battery leads while doing it! Most LiPos these days have 2 connectors. One to provide power to a device (your radio), and one for charging. The charging connector allows the charger to charge the cells of the battery independently (only buy a charger that supports this to get the most battery life and to charge safely), and unfortunately there's no standard for these connectors. Most chargers come with adapters that allow charging a variety of battery brands, but this is something you have to check.

                      Most folks recommend not discharging a LiPo battery below 3.0 volts per cell, under load. It is to this level that the battery capacity is measured.

                      There are more details, but this covers the big things to worry about.

                      73,
                      Randy, KS4L

                      On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Keith Hamilton <tuner@...> wrote:

                      > I would like to find a 500mah Lipo or similar that was more like 11 or 11.5 volts fully charged for my ATS-3B. The problem is when I start looking at all those hobby batteries I get confused about what charger to use and what connector to use. Anyone know of a web page or tutorial to help straighten me out?
                      > Hams get easily confused as we age! lol
                      >
                      > Keith N8CEP
                    • Keith Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                        Thanks for all the info Randy! Maybe I better stick to a pack closer to 9Volts.
                        I am new to the ATS-3 and 3B, so I apologize if I am asking previously
                        answered questions. I don't want to damage the rig.

                        73
                        Keith N8CEP

                        On Jan 4, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Randy Moore <wrmoore47@...> wrote:

                        > Keith,
                        >
                        > For LiPos, you must use a charger that is designed for LiPos. There are bunches of them! You choose one that provides for at least the number of cells in your batteries (11.1 v is 3-cells), and one that allows you to choose a charging current of 1x the mah capacity if the battery (referred to as the "C" rating). The issue with the ATS radios is that you need to keep the supply voltage below 12v. A fully charged 3-cell LiPo will be about 12.4 v. Steve has said this is probably OK if your antenna system has a near 1:1 SWR. Otherwise, you need to stay under 12v. Several means of doing this have been discussed here, including using series diodes and limiting the battery charge to <12v.
                        >
                        > On the connector, there are lots of those out there, but you can change them to whatever you want. Just be careful to not short the battery leads while doing it! Most LiPos these days have 2 connectors. One to provide power to a device (your radio), and one for charging. The charging connector allows the charger to charge the cells of the battery independently (only buy a charger that supports this to get the most battery life and to charge safely), and unfortunately there's no standard for these connectors. Most chargers come with adapters that allow charging a variety of battery brands, but this is something you have to check.
                        >
                        > Most folks recommend not discharging a LiPo battery below 3.0 volts per cell, under load. It is to this level that the battery capacity is measured.
                        >
                        > There are more details, but this covers the big things to worry about.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Randy, KS4L
                        >
                        > On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Keith Hamilton tuner@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I would like to find a 500mah Lipo or similar that was more like 11 or 11.5 volts fully charged for my ATS-3B. The problem is when I start looking at all those hobby batteries I get confused about what charger to use and what connector to use. Anyone know of a web page or tutorial to help straighten me out?
                        > > Hams get easily confused as we age! lol
                        > >
                        > > Keith N8CEP

                      • Keith Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                          Hobbypartz seems to be very low on LiPo battery stock right now.
                          They have a nice 500mAh 11.1V battery I would like to order.
                          Perhaps they have lowered their stock for New Years tax time?

                          73 Keith N8CEP

                          On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:25 PM, cloud runner <just.one.hill@...> wrote:

                          > My 1,000 mAH LiPO was in the order of seven bux, Blue LiPO brand, from Hobbypartz dot com. It is a 3S in other words 11.1 to 11.6 for its flat area of discharge, BUT, fully charged it is 12.4 volts, and in working 31 QSO's it discharged all the way down to 12.0 volts !!! I have changed all my larger batteries to Anderson Powerpoles.
                          >
                          > The 500 mAH came from the same source, but it is a Zippy Compact, brand. It weighs less that two ounces, and uses a small JST connector which I think I like more than Andersons for this service since they are so much less bulky.
                          >
                          > We did do an experimental activation recently with an ATS4 and the 500 mAH battery. It discharged into its flat range, but only just barely, that is, it was down to 11.6 volts after half an hour of SOTA operation. Oh, and, I think these batteries were like three bux, suppose to recharge hundreds of times.
                          >
                          > fred
                          >
                          > Hey Fred -
                          >
                          > What voltage was your 1000 mAH battery pack? And who makes that one and the 500 mAH pack that you are using next?
                          >
                          > Makes me think that running on 2500 mAH AA alkaline batteries would be overkill...
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Etienne, K7ATN
                          >
                          > --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, "cloud runner" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Did a SOTA today in New Mexico using an ATS3B powered by a 1,000 mAH LiPO battery. The 31 QSO half hour activation resulted in a new power consumption "personal record" of 4.87 mAH per QSO. It was probably less because I did not top off the battery before leaving, and it was last charged nearly two months ago.
                          > >
                          > > Only used 151 mAH from the battery. Obviously, the battery was too big ;-) I have a smaller battery now, a 500 mAH, that I am going to begin to use instead.
                          > >
                          > > 73 & HNY,
                          > >
                          > > Fred - KT5X

                        • cloud runner
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                            the 3B has an automatic shut down if current exceeds 800 ma. I don't think
                            you can easily hurt it. I upgraded my finals to BS170's as well. I tune up
                            at nine volts, then operate at 12 volts.

                            72, Fred - kt5x

                            > Thanks for all the info Randy! Maybe I better stick to a pack closer to
                            > 9Volts.
                            > I am new to the ATS-3 and 3B, so I apologize if I am asking previously
                            > answered questions. I don't want to damage the rig.
                            >
                            > 73
                            > Keith N8CEP
                          • r_zerr
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
                              Etienne,

                              You want one of the 3s packs for 11.1V packs. Just about any of the little RC airplane packs seem to work. The "Blue LIPO," or "Zippy Flight Max," are ones that I have heard mentioned as inexpensive and reliable so far.

                              I did the QRP TTF event last year with a 1000 mAh pack. My actual operating time was around 3-1/2 hours and I did not suffer any power/voltage drop on the pack, and was still in the so called linear range of use. So yes, AA's are overkill/overweight/obese!

                              -ron
                            • Alan Shapiro

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 8, 2013
                                  New unofficial, official record !!!  FB

                                  SRI missed you guys yesterday; went to breakfast with John and Jim and Phil, then to Jim's house going through various possibilities relating to the MTR build.

                                  Am debating in my mind all sorts of ways to do the deployment ... I am leaning toward something by which the radio is not on the pole, but in my hand so I can access the radio's controls.  My thinking is the a short piece of RG174 loss is only two tenths of a DB, and it weighs only one ounce with a connector.  And it eliminates the cable for the paddle which is close to the same wight such that it is a wash, but more convenient.

                                  So that has me contemplating all sorts of ways for the thing that is held in the hand which supports the radio, battery, paddle, and log backing ...

                                  fd
[...]

                                • Philip Townsend Lontz
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 8, 2013
                                    Fred will the SMA connectors work for the RG174 on the MTR?
                                    Phil
                                    K5SSR

                                    Sent, as to how? Who cares!