MTR custom cases

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
      Just to let every one know I got the ball rolling on getting a custom MTR
      case made by Ten-Tec. It will be about 8 weeks before they are ready, so
      looks like the end of January. I'll try to have more MTR kits ready about
      that time too.

      The price for just a case will be $20 plus a little for postage. The top
      will be painted and silk screened. I decided on blue for the color. The
      bottom piece will be left unfinished aluminum, which should be a decent
      contrast to the blue, but you can paint it if you like. The box will be
      about the size of an Altoids tin, but a tad taller at 1.1".

      There will be enough space inside the case to install a 9V radio battery if
      you like. However, you'll need to add an on/off switch and you'll have to
      make the hole for that yourself.

      72, Steve KD1JV
    • Lee Hiers
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
        Sounds great Steve!

        73 de Lee
        --
        Lee Hiers, AA4GA
        Submit your totals to the unofficial QRP DXCC standings - go to http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html for more info!

        On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

        The box will be
        about the size of an Altoids tin, but a tad taller at 1.1".

        There will be enough space inside the case to install a 9V radio battery if
        you like. However, you'll need to add an on/off switch and you'll have to
        make the hole for that yourself.

      • Steven
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
          Steve, will you be selling cases as ad on options with purchase of a basic MTR? And will the cases be available alone for previous MTR BUILDERS

          I have one MTR mounted in a homemade aluminum enclosure. When available I would like to order a second MTR and two cases.

          I assume that at some point you announce that you are accepting orders.

          Ten Tec does fine custom work. God choice.

          73 Steve, K8IDN.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Dec 4, 2012, at 22:14, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

          > Just to let every one know I got the ball rolling on getting a custom MTR
          > case made by Ten-Tec. It will be about 8 weeks before they are ready, so
          > looks like the end of January. I'll try to have more MTR kits ready about
          > that time too.
          >
          > The price for just a case will be $20 plus a little for postage. The top
          > will be painted and silk screened. I decided on blue for the color. The
          > bottom piece will be left unfinished aluminum, which should be a decent
          > contrast to the blue, but you can paint it if you like. The box will be
          > about the size of an Altoids tin, but a tad taller at 1.1".
          >
          > There will be enough space inside the case to install a 9V radio battery if
          > you like. However, you'll need to add an on/off switch and you'll have to
          > make the hole for that yourself.
          >
          > 72, Steve KD1JV
          >

          > ----------------------------------
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Link

        • Milton Riutort
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
            Hi Steve:

            Let me tell you that mine use a little top edge that help protect the radio controls buttons when package and also thus can be extended on the antenna side for protection too.

            Anyway, I guess you already have the box design. Mine is also blue, but in light color with the base painted in light gray too. The color combination is very good for me.

             image.jpeg

            image.jpeg

            image.jpeg

            Good luck,
            Milton
            NP4KT

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:14 PM, "Steven Weber" <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

            Just to let every one know I got the ball rolling on getting a custom MTR
            case made by Ten-Tec. It will be about 8 weeks before they are ready, so
            looks like the end of January. I'll try to have more MTR kits ready about
            that time too.

            The price for just a case will be $20 plus a little for postage. The top
            will be painted and silk screened. I decided on blue for the color. The
            bottom piece will be left unfinished aluminum, which should be a decent
            contrast to the blue, but you can paint it if you like. The box will be
            about the size of an Altoids tin, but a tad taller at 1.1".

            There will be enough space inside the case to install a 9V radio battery if
            you like. However, you'll need to add an on/off switch and you'll have to
            make the hole for that yourself.

            72, Steve KD1JV

          • cloud runner
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012

              What a beautiful case !!!!!

              73,  Fred - kt5x

              aka WS0TA
              --
              Hi Steve:

              Let me tell you that mine use a little top edge that help protect the radio controls buttons when package and also thus can be extended on the antenna side for protection too.

              Anyway, I guess you already have the box design. Mine is also blue, but in light color with the base painted in light gray too. The color combination is very good for me.

               image.jpeg

              image.jpeg

              image.jpeg

              Good luck,
              Milton
              NP4KT
            • Hank Greeb
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                I've been very interested in the 160/80 meter rig which Steve mentioned some time back.

                Last word was "still in design phase."  (or something to that effect)

                Just curious, any new info?

                Waiting on pinzandneedles.

                72/73 de n8xx Hg
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012

                  Milton,

                  The case Jerry at Ten-Tec suggested after looking at my inital design, which was like my ATS-4 case, is very similer to what you did except the other way around. The top piece is folded down along the front and back instead of the sides. This allows the antenna, power and paddle jack to be mounted on the back side and the head phone jack on the front. I belive this is a more logical place to put those jacks. Edges on the bottom piece will stick up above the top of the case along the sides instead of the front and back.

                  The top piece will be made from 036 steel and the bottom from 062 aluminum. The two pieces are held together with a screw on either side, near the top.

                  Steve KD1JV

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012

                    I was runing into some problems and put the project on hold as I had some other more pressing things to take care of. I hope to get back to this project soon and with luck, figure out how to make it work the way it should...

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                      OK, at least you know that you have an audience (of at least one, hopefully more) waiting with bated breath for any news of this project!

                      Hope you get the more pressing items resolved!

                      72/73 de n8xx Hg
                      QRP >99.44% of the time

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                        > Steve, will you be selling cases as ad on options with purchase of a basic
                        > MTR? And will the cases be available alone for previous MTR BUILDERS

                        The next batch of MTR's will come with the case. I can't see where very many
                        wouldn't want one, so it makes no sense to make it an option (and my
                        potentually being stuck with a bunch of cases).

                        I'm having an extra 100 cases made for previous MTR builders. This is about
                        50 short of the number of kits out there, but I figure at least that many
                        have put the board in a case which they are happy with.

                        Steve
                      • Jonathan
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                          Thanks, as always, Steve.
                          My abortive attempt to shoehorn my MTR into an altoids tin is here:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathancharles/8220840616/
                          I discovered--by my own stupidity--that the Altoids tin won't work without some pigtails or some very tight squeezes--nearly impossible. Then I remembered that you might have warned us of this.
                          One positive thing I learned was that the height of the buttons and switches felt really great in the recessed plexiglass divots I drilled and formed. I might use this idea in the future--because most of the fun of building the MTR is being able to SHOW the MTR.
                          Jonathan KC7FYS

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                            All the talk about the Mountain Top (two band) radio makes me wonder - would it be possible to modify the software for the MTR, the output filter, and maybe (probably?) a few other things which don't come to my foggy (lack of) brain, and have a 160/80 meter "pseudo MTR?"  Don't know that anyone would want to operate on 160 or 80 from a mountain top, but there are other uses for these neat, itty bitty rigs.

                            72/73 de n8xx Hg
                            QRP >99.44% of the time

                            p.s. The versatility of these rigs, and the possibilities for operating @ 3 to 5 watts with a rig which fits in the palm of one's hand, never ceases to amaze me!

                          • TJ Campie
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                              Its not hard to develop a 5w radio that fits in your hand, the hard part is making it work worth a darn!  Steve is the master of the last part

                              73, W0EA
                              TJ
                              ----
                              QRP ARCI #14612 | CW Ops #953 | SKCC #4593T
                              NAQCC #3768 | Flying Pigs QRP #2254
                              Elecraft KX3 SN 288
                              Because QRO is too easy

                              On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

                              All the talk about the Mountain Top (two band) radio makes me wonder - would it be possible to modify the software for the MTR, the output filter, and maybe (probably?) a few other things which don't come to my foggy (lack of) brain, and have a 160/80 meter "pseudo MTR?"  Don't know that anyone would want to operate on 160 or 80 from a mountain top, but there are other uses for these neat, itty bitty rigs.

                              72/73 de n8xx Hg
                              QRP >99.44% of the time

                              p.s. The versatility of these rigs, and the possibilities for operating @ 3 to 5 watts with a rig which fits in the palm of one's hand, never ceases to amaze me!

                            • lmlangenfeld tds.net

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                                  I agree wholeheartedly!

                                  On 12/5/2012 2:08 PM, TJ Campie wrote:
[...]

                                • Phillip Townsend Lontz
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                                    Hi Steve
                                    Is there an order list for the new MTR and case?
                                    Phil
                                    Santa Fe
                                    K5SSR

                                    Sent... That should be enough.

                                    On Dec 5, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

                                    > Steve, will you be selling cases as ad on options with purchase of a basic
                                    > MTR? And will the cases be available alone for previous MTR BUILDERS

                                    The next batch of MTR's will come with the case. I can't see where very many
                                    wouldn't want one, so it makes no sense to make it an option (and my
                                    potentually being stuck with a bunch of cases).

                                    I'm having an extra 100 cases made for previous MTR builders. This is about
                                    50 short of the number of kits out there, but I figure at least that many
                                    have put the board in a case which they are happy with.

                                    Steve

                                  • WA0ITP
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012

                                      GA Phil,

                                      Steve doesnt do lists, and I can sympathize.  They are waay too time consuming.

                                      ----------------------------------
                                      I love this radio stuff !
                                      72   WAØITP
                                      www.wa0itp.com
                                      www.4sqrp.com
                                      www.qrpspots.com

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                                        Hi Steve:

                                        I am sure either way it helps keep secure the MTR when traveling. I want to use .062 aluminum on both parts, but didn't have any available at home. Ja

                                        The back panel design this way, can be extended a little more to create a better protection for the antenna and other connectors on each side. But again, the material available was not enough.

                                        The ATS4 box you create was really the starting point for my one.

                                        Best wishes this Christmas.

                                        Milton
                                        NP4KT

                                        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                      • mbhayden
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                                          The new case looks great but there is something very MTR-esque about building into a Altoids box.  I have come to associate the ATS and MTR line with mint tins. I don't think I could possibly switch either of mine without psychotherapy.

                                          I hope that if you ever rev the design it will still fit in one because I think there is nothing cooler than one of your rigs in a tiny box.

                                          Mike AK3F

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                                            On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM, mbhayden <mbhayden@...> wrote:

                                            The new case looks great but there is something very MTR-esque about building into a Altoids box.  I have come to associate the ATS and MTR line with mint tins.

                                            I tend to agree...I really like my ATS-3b in its "Sindy" Altoids tin (http://www.aa4ga.com/2012/04/steve-webers-ats-3b.html), but also like the idea of a finished box for the MTR so I wouldn't have to cut all those little rectangular holes!

                                            73 de Lee
                                            --
                                            Lee Hiers, AA4GA
                                            Submit your totals to the unofficial QRP DXCC standings - go to http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html for more info!